Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Re: Fox fired

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:47 pm

wncapp78 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:41 pm
How many times and how many ways and how many threads can we say the same thing over again?
I give up, how many?

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:50 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:44 pm
Give Jon Scheyer a shot
Why?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:51 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:57 pm
I don’t see us getting a P5 coach on the rebound. Once you’ve flown first class it can be tough to swallow , unless maybe you see it as a stepping stone back. I think that was the situation with Tom Apke , who I believe is available.

TA would be a fine coach (even now but for his age) with the support of his AD. For those who go back that far, Tom was doing well as long as Jim Garner was the AD. When Roachel Laney found out that Tom was interested in the AD position, he put TA through absolute he**. He undercut him in every way possible...denying salary raises...refusing to approve recruits who were eligible in every way...forcing at least two shoo-in All-Socon players to transfer to other D-I schools/conferences (one to the OVC who became the OVC POY and one to the Southland who became All-Conference). Then there was the case of the big 7 foot tall Balkan kid from Valpo who was accused but completely cleared in a date-rape case. Laney still denied the kid a transfer to App. With those players, App would have made big waves on the court. Without 'em, TA's W-L record crashed in flames and Laney gleefully fired him.

TA, btw, is just about 2 weeks older than I am. We'll both be 75 in July. His coaching days are over.
Last edited by asu66 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 pm

Boonegoon wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:50 pm
Give Jon Scheyer a shot
Why?
Duke pedigree, several former assistants from there have been successful, and his mom is hot

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:57 pm

Boonegoon wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:29 pm
YesAppCan wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:03 pm
A choice is upon DG... Either INVEST in Men's basketball program or be content with the program losing between $1 and $1.5 MILLION a year when it should be one that produces a good revenue stream... Then say "we can't afford it".... Folks, my opinion here, we can't afford NOT to invest in it.
I don’t ever see this being a revenue sport for us unfortunately. Mid-week home games will never be well attended in a town of 15k.
That's silly. It's a town of almost 20K not including students. About the size of Murray, KY.... and they pack the house. Winning cures attandance woes
People are confusing attendance and ticket revenue.

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:57 pm
Boonegoon wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
YesAppCan wrote:
A choice is upon DG... Either INVEST in Men's basketball program or be content with the program losing between $1 and $1.5 MILLION a year when it should be one that produces a good revenue stream... Then say "we can't afford it".... Folks, my opinion here, we can't afford NOT to invest in it.
I don’t ever see this being a revenue sport for us unfortunately. Mid-week home games will never be well attended in a town of 15k.
That's silly. It's a town of almost 20K not including students. About the size of Murray, KY.... and they pack the house. Winning cures attandance woes
Ok, by that rationale, do we need a dean dome? If filling the seats we have doesn't pay the bills then what are we doing?

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:20 pm

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 pm
Boonegoon wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:50 pm
Give Jon Scheyer a shot
Why?
Duke pedigree, several former assistants from there have been successful, and his mom is hot
I disagree with the success of the Duke tree. When is the last time Duke has had to develop a player? They play 6 guys with at least 3 lottery picks.. We wouldn't have that luxury. Now if her hotness got us the blue chip, I'm ok with that

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:45 pm

I want a successful head coach. Someone who has a conference championship and has at least a .600 winning percentage as a head coach. No assistant coaches if at all possible.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:48 pm

Boonegoon wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:10 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:57 pm
Boonegoon wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
YesAppCan wrote:
Ok, by that rationale, do we need a dean dome? If filling the seats we have doesn't pay the bills then what are we doing?
We are a mid-major program in a small rural city. Mid-week games are going to be extremely tough to average more than 6k in attendance of which over half will likely be non-Revenue generating seats.

The number of seats isn’t the issue.

We should strive to make a postseason tournament every third year or so and average 3-4K a game. That would be a nice step forward. If we achieve that we’ll likely break even with the program which would be huge for the athletic budget.

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:45 pm
I want a successful head coach. Someone who has a conference championship and has at least a .600 winning percentage as a head coach. No assistant coaches if at all possible.
We would all like a successful head coach who meets the criteria you detail but would that coach want us? We'll find out.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 pm

All this to say why do we have an 8k arena? I know the Holmes Dome also has other purposes but what was the line of thinking at the time other than we need something better than varsity?
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:49 pm

Looking back at five years of Fox, going to almost all the home games and being close to this, I have things I want to write.

For a while, I grinned and beared Fox saying "you know, this one time, at Davidson..." We all did. And it was because we wanted this to work. But he never stopped. I understand that is his Camelot, but a lot of those good Davidson memories for him were bad Davidson memories for us App fans.

When he started, Fox said he'll meet the fans after every game at Tapp. First two years, he did with exceptions for early-morning flights, recruiting, other functions, etc. Year four? Not many times. This past season? Not once. Allison and Poole did and that was appreciated.

I've harped on this to the point of annoyance, but the yelling during games didn't seem productive. And it never stopped. I don't even know what some of the assistants' voices sound like. Compare that to Angel's staff and it's night and day. All of Angel's assistants have a role in game management. And when I brought up the yelling to those in the Foxhole, I was told "you should see him in practice."

To me, it didn't seem like the players enjoyed playing the game. Being the drill sergeant can work if the team rallies together ala Herb Brooks, but it seemed like the players had their love of the game beaten out of them.

The 101-100 lost to GaSo? Yes that four-point play was a flop, but App was up 8 with two minutes to go? Next weekend, up the same amount with two minutes to go versus ULM. Both games at home, both losses.

His player personnel decisions were questionable. He wavered on keeping Goesling on scholarship, so he went D2, tore it up and is now a grad transfer on Top 15 Houston. Remember the one year he had 23 players on the roster to start the season? He spent a lot of money recruiting O'Boyle out of an Arizona JuCo and he barely played. Same with Breki from Iceland, although he's was a freshman.

I remember when Fox got here, he worked with Obacha to just be a rebounder and he rarely shot the ball. And it worked perfectly fine. With Issac, he's the best rebounder in the conference, but he would be fed in the post in a back-to-the-basket situation and put up a terrible shot. Why not do with him what he did with Obacha. There's other examples of players not becoming what they could have been, but that would be very long. And Jim hyped these players up big time before they arrived. I put a lot of that on coaching, especially the bad defense.

This season, there was a lot of "I don't know" and "We need to fix that" answers in postgame press conferences. He seemed like a man out of answers.

There's going to be people who say "y'all don't know what it was really like there, Fox never had a chance!" and stuff like that. Hell, Jeff Capel said that about his little brother despite mountains of evidence saying Jason deserved to be let go. But he had his chance. Eight seniors, most returning production in the conference and went from 5th to 10th, plus only two D1 wins out of conference.

The "Fox brought App out of an academic hole" thing is misnomer. Fox deserves credit for bringing in players who can get good grades and graduate. But with the APR ban, the scores are a year behind to ensure accuracy. The scores turned around in Capel's third year, but the first two Capel years were so bad that the APR ban was inevitable. Fox suffered because of that, but he took the job knowing the ban would happen, and also that it was a 99 percent chance the ban would only be one year due to Capel's last two years triggering the APR improvement clause.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:50 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:24 pm
To be certain, each of us wishes Jim the best wherever the road leads him.
The thing about roads is we almost always know where they go.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:57 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:49 pm
Looking back at five years of Fox, going to almost all the home games and being close to this, I have things I want to write.

For a while, I grinned and beared Fox saying "you know, this one time, at Davidson..." We all did. And it was because we wanted this to work. But he never stopped. I understand that is his Camelot, but a lot of those good Davidson memories for him were bad Davidson memories for us App fans.

When he started, Fox said he'll meet the fans after every game at Tapp. First two years, he did with exceptions for early-morning flights, recruiting, other functions, etc. Year four? Not many times. This past season? Not once. Allison and Poole did and that was appreciated.

I've harped on this to the point of annoyance, but the yelling during games didn't seem productive. And it never stopped. I don't even know what some of the assistants' voices sound like. Compare that to Angel's staff and it's night and day. All of Angel's assistants have a role in game management. And when I brought up the yelling to those in the Foxhole, I was told "you should see him in practice."

To me, it didn't seem like the players enjoyed playing the game. Being the drill sergeant can work if the team rallies together ala Herb Brooks, but it seemed like the players had their love of the game beaten out of them.

The 101-100 lost to GaSo? Yes that four-point play was a flop, but App was up 8 with two minutes to go? Next weekend, up the same amount with two minutes to go versus ULM. Both games at home, both losses.

His player personnel decisions were questionable. He wavered on keeping Goesling on scholarship, so he went D2, tore it up and is now a grad transfer on Top 15 Houston. Remember the one year he had 23 players on the roster to start the season? He spent a lot of money recruiting O'Boyle out of an Arizona JuCo and he barely played. Same with Breki from Iceland, although he's was a freshman.

I remember when Fox got here, he worked with Obacha to just be a rebounder and he rarely shot the ball. And it worked perfectly fine. With Issac, he's the best rebounder in the conference, but he would be fed in the post in a back-to-the-basket situation and put up a terrible shot. Why not do with him what he did with Obacha. There's other examples of players not becoming what they could have been, but that would be very long. And Jim hyped these players up big time before they arrived. I put a lot of that on coaching, especially the bad defense.

This season, there was a lot of "I don't know" and "We need to fix that" answers in postgame press conferences. He seemed like a man out of answers.

There's going to be people who say "y'all don't know what it was really like there, Fox never had a chance!" and stuff like that. Hell, Jeff Capel said that about his little brother despite mountains of evidence saying Jason deserved to be let go. But he had his chance. Eight seniors, most returning production in the conference and went from 5th to 10th, plus only two D1 wins out of conference.

The "Fox brought App out of an academic hole" thing is misnomer. Fox deserves credit for bringing in players who can get good grades and graduate. But with the APR ban, the scores are a year behind to ensure accuracy. The scores turned around in Capel's third year, but the first two Capel years were so bad that the APR ban was inevitable. Fox suffered because of that, but he took the job knowing the ban would happen, and also that it was a 99 percent chance the ban would only be one year due to Capel's last two years triggering the APR improvement clause.
The team wasn't far off this season. Many games ended with relatively close scores even if the game was never really within reach. App was a few free throws, turnovers, and better shot selections away from being around .500. While that isn't great it would obviously be improvement. Good programs find a way to keep moving forward and if this seasons close games can turn into wins next season, App could finally be looking respectable in conference play in something other than football.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:01 am

beav910 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 pm
All this to say why do we have an 8k arena? I know the Holmes Dome also has other purposes but what was the line of thinking at the time other than we need something better than varsity?
Line of thinking....We will never get Migos to come to Boone with just Varsity.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 am

Wyclef came to varsity.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:44 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 am
Wyclef came to varsity.
Barely
Give 'em hell!

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:18 am

Saint3333 wrote:
YesAppCan wrote:
We had 6K in the early 80's when i was in school. They weren't all students.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:27 am

Arsenal App wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:45 pm
We would all like a successful head coach who meets the criteria you detail but would that coach want us? We'll find out.
Join Yosef Club to provide DG the resources to find us that Coach.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:45 am

If you’re not a Yosef Club member, but your keyboard away. $10 a month would make a world of difference to Appalachian and every sports program.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”