Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

HkyMtneer
School: Appalachian State

Re: Fox fired

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:01 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:44 pm
Give Jon Scheyer a shot
Or John Schneider...can't do much worse. Not to mention, the theme nights with autograph sessions afterwards might draw a nice crowd. One night Daisy, one night Luke. Halftime stunt shows where we blow something up. Intro the team with the General Lee driving out onto the court. Oh wait, that wouldn't work on a college campus, or really in America, in 2019...nevermind.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:04 am

YesAppCan wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:18 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:29 pm
YesAppCan wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:03 pm
A choice is upon DG... Either INVEST in Men's basketball program or be content with the program losing between $1 and $1.5 MILLION a year when it should be one that produces a good revenue stream... Then say "we can't afford it".... Folks, my opinion here, we can't afford NOT to invest in it.
I don’t ever see this being a revenue sport for us unfortunately. Mid-week home games will never be well attended in a town of 15k.
We had 6K in the early 80's when i was in school. They weren't all students.
6k on the weekends.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:24 am

Varsity rocked it out in the 80's. I was there, game after game the entire 4 years I was in school. We can get there again.

ClickClackApp

Unread post by ClickClackApp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:27 am

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but an early season "Vintage, throwback, etc." style game in Varsity against a local opponent that App could crush might spur some interest in the student body that might carry over into HCC if they keep winning.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:56 am

ClickClackApp wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:27 am
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but an early season "Vintage, throwback, etc." style game in Varsity against a local opponent that App could crush might spur some interest in the student body that might carry over into HCC if they keep winning.
I don't think that's possible.

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:16 am

hapapp wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:56 am
ClickClackApp wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:27 am
I don't think that's possible.
Why wouldn't it be? Just asking.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:36 am

I think the configuration has changed and I'm not sure you have a court that could accommodate the event. Though, I may be wrong.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:16 am

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:49 pm
Looking back at five years of Fox, going to almost all the home games and being close to this, I have things I want to write.

For a while, I grinned and beared Fox saying "you know, this one time, at Davidson..." We all did. And it was because we wanted this to work. But he never stopped. I understand that is his Camelot, but a lot of those good Davidson memories for him were bad Davidson memories for us App fans.

When he started, Fox said he'll meet the fans after every game at Tapp. First two years, he did with exceptions for early-morning flights, recruiting, other functions, etc. Year four? Not many times. This past season? Not once. Allison and Poole did and that was appreciated.

I've harped on this to the point of annoyance, but the yelling during games didn't seem productive. And it never stopped. I don't even know what some of the assistants' voices sound like. Compare that to Angel's staff and it's night and day. All of Angel's assistants have a role in game management. And when I brought up the yelling to those in the Foxhole, I was told "you should see him in practice."

To me, it didn't seem like the players enjoyed playing the game. Being the drill sergeant can work if the team rallies together ala Herb Brooks, but it seemed like the players had their love of the game beaten out of them.

The 101-100 lost to GaSo? Yes that four-point play was a flop, but App was up 8 with two minutes to go? Next weekend, up the same amount with two minutes to go versus ULM. Both games at home, both losses.

His player personnel decisions were questionable. He wavered on keeping Goesling on scholarship, so he went D2, tore it up and is now a grad transfer on Top 15 Houston. Remember the one year he had 23 players on the roster to start the season? He spent a lot of money recruiting O'Boyle out of an Arizona JuCo and he barely played. Same with Breki from Iceland, although he's was a freshman.

I remember when Fox got here, he worked with Obacha to just be a rebounder and he rarely shot the ball. And it worked perfectly fine. With Issac, he's the best rebounder in the conference, but he would be fed in the post in a back-to-the-basket situation and put up a terrible shot. Why not do with him what he did with Obacha. There's other examples of players not becoming what they could have been, but that would be very long. And Jim hyped these players up big time before they arrived. I put a lot of that on coaching, especially the bad defense.

This season, there was a lot of "I don't know" and "We need to fix that" answers in postgame press conferences. He seemed like a man out of answers.

There's going to be people who say "y'all don't know what it was really like there, Fox never had a chance!" and stuff like that. Hell, Jeff Capel said that about his little brother despite mountains of evidence saying Jason deserved to be let go. But he had his chance. Eight seniors, most returning production in the conference and went from 5th to 10th, plus only two D1 wins out of conference.

The "Fox brought App out of an academic hole" thing is misnomer. Fox deserves credit for bringing in players who can get good grades and graduate. But with the APR ban, the scores are a year behind to ensure accuracy. The scores turned around in Capel's third year, but the first two Capel years were so bad that the APR ban was inevitable. Fox suffered because of that, but he took the job knowing the ban would happen, and also that it was a 99 percent chance the ban would only be one year due to Capel's last two years triggering the APR improvement clause.
Lots of good stuff here.

I'll just add that one thing I always wondered about with Fox was whether Davidson experience would translate well at App. IOW, would directly importing what he learned at a small private school that recruits internationally work as well at a regional public school that traditionally recruits regionally? (And, if we're being honest, our best teams haven't always been exclusively filled with honor roll students.)

I don't know if that was a factor or not. But for as many times as I've seen people say they want someone with HC experience this time, maybe we should consider trying to bring in someone with experience (HC or otherwise) at a school that's more culturally and academically similar to App.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:19 am

The women’s team has a lot of international players.

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:19 am

It's about time for Buzz Peterson to make a one year return isn't it? Just saying...I think we're due.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:16 pm

I think Coach Allison should get a shot. He recruited all of our players and has a great class coming in. He’s also from Lincoln County, played at Liberty, head recruiter at VMI for 9 seasons when they were rolling and setting national scoring records. He’s 42 years old and would definitely fit the budget. Allison could get the job done in Boone.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:34 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:16 pm
I think Coach Allison should get a shot. He recruited all of our players and has a great class coming in. He’s also from Lincoln County, played at Liberty, head recruiter at VMI for 9 seasons when they were rolling and setting national scoring records. He’s 42 years old and would definitely fit the budget. Allison could get the job done in Boone.
I’m sure some will think it’s time for an entirely new staff and I get that, but I think we could do worse than Allison.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:44 pm

Watching the SEC tourney. Not sure we can afford him but what about Andy Kennedy, former Ole Miss coach. Don’t know a ton about him but do know he was pretty successful at every stop he’s made. GO APPS!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:16 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
If we were going to do this, we should’ve made that move in early January. We didn’t, so it signaled that we were either staying with Fox, or cleaning house.

What sense does it make to go outside of the family with our highly successful football program, but promote an assistant in our mediocre, at best, men’s basketball team?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:01 pm

I think we all learned during the football HC hiring process that DG looks everywhere. On top of that he will find a Coach for our basketball team that will be a great ambassador to our school. This is going to be fun to watch play out.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:05 pm

I think all the "Davidson assistant coaching" might be overrated - Matheny has been at Elon for 10 years and he is something like 150-170 - and now Fox's disappointing results - I am guessing there might be other examples out there - I don't want to look
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:05 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:16 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
If we were going to do this, we should’ve made that move in early January. We didn’t, so it signaled that we were either staying with Fox, or cleaning house.

What sense does it make to go outside of the family with our highly successful football program, but promote an assistant in our mediocre, at best, men’s basketball team?
I don’t know. I could see the possibility of a new head coach keeping him on as associate head coach since he’s apparently landed most of our best recruits. That would, of course, require Allison to be willing to stay if he’s passed over as head coach.

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:12 pm

Considering our record the past five years, the fact that he's recruited many of our players could also be a good argument for not retaining Allison.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:25 pm

app97 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:05 pm
AppinVA wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

I don’t know. I could see the possibility of a new head coach keeping him on as associate head coach since he’s apparently landed most of our best recruits. That would, of course, require Allison to be willing to stay if he’s passed over as head coach.
“Passed over”? That makes it sound like he should be a top candidate. Is there a single example of a school that has fired their HC for losing 20 games year and then promoted an assistant?

Don’t get me wrong, from everything I hear, keeping Allison on staff as an assistant could make sense. Or he may have other opportunities as an assistant elsewhere. But I don’t see any way we or anyone else hire him as HC right now.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:06 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:25 pm
app97 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:05 pm
AppinVA wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

“Passed over”? That makes it sound like he should be a top candidate. Is there a single example of a school that has fired their HC for losing 20 games year and then promoted an assistant?

Don’t get me wrong, from everything I hear, keeping Allison on staff as an assistant could make sense. Or he may have other opportunities as an assistant elsewhere. But I don’t see any way we or anyone else hire him as HC right now.
I didn’t mean for you to infer that he is a top candidate for HC, only that he could be a candidate, if only as associate HC.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”