Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

MountaineerChemist10
School: Appalachian State

Re: Fox fired

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 am

Who wants Buzz Peterson back??

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:40 am

MountaineerChemist10 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 am
I don't really, but I applaud you for posting this just because I'm looking forward to the replies. 8-)

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:46 am

RiversRunsThroughIt wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:26 am
Lutz is a joke ya'll. Come on. We deserve better, but be realistic. This is a bottom half, maybe bottom two, Sun Belt job. That may sting but it's true. Sorry.

Official Unofficial Short List:
1. Bart Lundy
2. Nate James
3. Jason Williford
4. Josh Schertz
5. Erik Martin
nice list, but remove Nate James and add Dustin Kerns from Presbyterian. Duke assistants land at Power 5 conferences when they leave Duke. I would imagine that James makes a good bit more now than we could pay a head coach.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:52 am

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 am
The Rock wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:33 am
Lutz is a joke ya'll. Come on. We deserve better, but be realistic. This is a bottom half, maybe bottom two, Sun Belt job. That may sting but it's true. Sorry.

1. Bart Lundy
2. Nate James
3. Jason Williford
4. Josh Schertz
5. Erik Martin
If it is such an undesirable job, why would Nate James leave Duke to come here?
...to be a head coach.

But if App is the bad place you say it is, why would an assistant at the top echelon of college BB take a pay cut to be a HC at a “bottom two” sun belt job?

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:11 am

Tim Craft

Mike Jones

Both would be exceptional hires and fits.

Need someone who embraces community and the university.

Unread post by 8993 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:22 am

appgrouch wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:32 am
8993 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:43 am
I might catch some (unwarranted) heat for this, but I would also welcome a solid female coach for our men's basketball team. Coach Elderkin turned the women's team around this season and has some fire in her that I think has energized that team a bit more going into the off-season. I would be interested to see if there are any other female coaches out there that would be willing to take this role.

Also, just to be clear: this is not me saying that a female coach should be considered just for her gender. This is me saying that I want the best coach for App State, regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, age, etc. I want the best for App State and if the best was a female coach for the men's basketball team, then let's go.
This is not meant as heat.

I don't have a problem in theory with a woman as head coach, but right now it would be setting up everyone up for failure. We have low attendance, low confidence in the future and low team chemistry. This is not the time to think out of the box, it is time for someone solid, with some head coaching experience, to come in and do a rebuild of the team and culture. If we had just come off of a winning season and out coach got hired away, then it might be something to look into.

As a side note, I have been around women's teams and practices in the past and the skills to coach one does not always match up with coaching a men's team and vice versa.
I completely hear you and think that you have some 110% solid points in what you said. I'm super thankful that you're willing to engage in active dialogue about this idea! I was immediately afraid that people would jump on a "women aren't good enough" bandwagon.

What I will counter your points with, though, is that we have nothing to lose in thinking outside of the box and taking an unconventional route. Hell, it might even land us in the papers as a school that is taking massive steps to doing and being better, so much so to where we are landing recruits for the name we are establishing for ourselves in making such a decision. While I completely agree that we do have a lot to rebuild, I don't think that the foundations of a rebuild are determined by the gender of a coach. Rebuilding means tearing down the house, tearing down the foundation, and doing it from the ground up. We can do that with any coach, so I don't think that gender will determine that success.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:38 am

AppinATL wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:17 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:08 am
I would prefer a D2 Head Coach with a winning record and conference championships over a D1 Assistant Coach making his Head Coach debut.
I agree. We went the assistant route the last two times. Didn’t work out so well. Right now in our situation, we need a head coach with head coaching experience. This is no time for on the job training.
Agree and I would add that someone who has taken a team that was down and turned them into a winner is something we should highly value.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

AppMom3

Unread post by AppMom3 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:47 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:32 pm
BaritoneNC wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:20 pm
Just adding this to the discussion:

I think Brant overrates Shaver a bit. He had a Fancher-esque record at W&M over a longer time.
Not a Tony Shaver fan at all! Do not think he would be a good fit personally.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:57 am

AppMom3 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:47 am
EastHallApp wrote:
BaritoneNC wrote:

I think Brant overrates Shaver a bit. He had a Fancher-esque record at W&M over a longer time.
Why not?

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:09 am

8993 wrote:
I might catch some (unwarranted) heat for this, but I would also welcome a solid female coach for our men's basketball team. Coach Elderkin turned the women's team around this season and has some fire in her that I think has energized that team a bit more going into the off-season. I would be interested to see if there are any other female coaches out there that would be willing to take this role.

Also, just to be clear: this is not me saying that a female coach should be considered just for her gender. This is me saying that I want the best coach for App State, regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, age, etc. I want the best for App State and if the best was a female coach for the men's basketball team, then let's go.
Go away.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 am

8993 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:22 am
appgrouch wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:32 am
8993 wrote:

This is not meant as heat.

I don't have a problem in theory with a woman as head coach, but right now it would be setting up everyone up for failure. We have low attendance, low confidence in the future and low team chemistry. This is not the time to think out of the box, it is time for someone solid, with some head coaching experience, to come in and do a rebuild of the team and culture. If we had just come off of a winning season and out coach got hired away, then it might be something to look into.

As a side note, I have been around women's teams and practices in the past and the skills to coach one does not always match up with coaching a men's team and vice versa.
I completely hear you and think that you have some 110% solid points in what you said. I'm super thankful that you're willing to engage in active dialogue about this idea! I was immediately afraid that people would jump on a "women aren't good enough" bandwagon.

What I will counter your points with, though, is that we have nothing to lose in thinking outside of the box and taking an unconventional route. Hell, it might even land us in the papers as a school that is taking massive steps to doing and being better, so much so to where we are landing recruits for the name we are establishing for ourselves in making such a decision. While I completely agree that we do have a lot to rebuild, I don't think that the foundations of a rebuild are determined by the gender of a coach. Rebuilding means tearing down the house, tearing down the foundation, and doing it from the ground up. We can do that with any coach, so I don't think that gender will determine that success.
How many gatorade commercials have you been watching. Yes we get it. Women can do anything men can do. Enough with that narrative already. As has been mentioned in other posts. We do not need to be the team to break some ridiculous glass ceiling to show how progressive we are. It's not as simple as she's a great coach. there's alot more to it. A whole lot more. And if you think we are going to bring in a fringe female coach who's never coached men and throw her into a bottom of the barrel men's program and we are going to morph into a contender then i have some beachfront property in nevada to sell you. I know i seem like a jerk right now, but this is not a walt disney movie, nor is it a divison III gimmick hire. Your posts scream of pushing an agenda more than the hiring of a successful replacement for fox.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:22 am

I almost commented.....but caught myself.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:26 am

I get nervous when we start talking about guys who don't have experience with Division One recruiting. That applies to rules, standards etc. Division 2 is a lot more loose with the rules to get guys and maybe I'm being overly paranoid but Capel had no experience and you saw where that got us. We need a coach that's going to be regimented both on and of the court. I really don't even want a coach that can't run a tight ship. I want us to have an identity. I want to not worry about violations or guys getting arrested. The guys we have now seem like good dudes, they just didn't have a direction on the actual court. I think we can achieve both with the right hire. I really don't want to take a crazy flier on some of these candidates. OK rant over. Thanks for bearing with me

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:33 am

MountaineerChemist10 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 am
How bad do we want to win?

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:57 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:26 am
I get nervous when we start talking about guys who don't have experience with Division One recruiting. That applies to rules, standards etc. Division 2 is a lot more loose with the rules to get guys and maybe I'm being overly paranoid but Capel had no experience and you saw where that got us. We need a coach that's going to be regimented both on and of the court. I really don't even want a coach that can't run a tight ship. I want us to have an identity. I want to not worry about violations or guys getting arrested. The guys we have now seem like good dudes, they just didn't have a direction on the actual court. I think we can achieve both with the right hire. I really don't want to take a crazy flier on some of these candidates. OK rant over. Thanks for bearing with me
You are incorrect. What rules are more loose that you speak of? So many people have no clue about collegiate athletics.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:19 pm

Tony Shaver's name (just fired by William & Mary with five years remaining on his contract) keeps slipping into threads here and there. I think that's a non-starter.

FIRST, a look at his record at Bill & Mary taken as a direct quotation from tribeathletics.com...

During Shaver's tenure, the Tribe made four appearances in the CAA Tournament final (most recently in 2015) as well as made two of the program's three trips to the National Invitation Tournament (2010, 2015). Over his 16 seasons, Shaver compiled an overall record of 226-268 (.457) and 124-162 (.434) in conference.

The DAILY PRESS in Newport News, VA breaks it down further.

Despite a losing season in 2018-19, the Tribe won at least 10 CAA games for the sixth consecutive season. But William and Mary remains one of four original Division I schools that has never played in the NCAA tournament. Under Shaver, the Tribe lost the CAA championship game four times — 2008, ’10, ’14 and ’15.

SECOND, sports agent Dennis "Cordell, a graduate of William and Mary, told the Daily Press’ David Teel that Shaver, age 65, is due a buyout of approximately $1.7 million, which is subject to offset if he is hired elsewhere. Shaver’s contract runs through the 2023-24 season.

Indications are that Shaver had planned to coach at his alma mater until age 70 and retire, possibly leaving the pathway clear for his son, Austin, to succeed him as head coach of The Tribe. Austin Shaver just completed his seventh season on his father's coaching staff.

There's nothing much that App needs less than an aging, sub .500 career winning percentage head coach demanding a minimum salary of $340,000/year or more plus perks, incentives and a coaching position for his son. Let's not entertain this thought for another second. In no way does Shaver fit DG's stated vision for the men's basketball vacancy.
Last edited by asu66 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

RiversRunsThroughIt

Unread post by RiversRunsThroughIt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:21 pm

The Rock wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:52 am
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 am
The Rock wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:33 am

1. Bart Lundy
2. Nate James
3. Jason Williford
4. Josh Schertz
5. Erik Martin
If it is such an undesirable job, why would Nate James leave Duke to come here?
...to be a head coach.

But if App is the bad place you say it is, why would an assistant at the top echelon of college BB take a pay cut to be a HC at a “bottom two” sun belt job?
Again, to be a head coach. I think some of you underestimate the egos that drive the careers of some of the men in that business.

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:21 pm

So far, I haven't seen any candidate that moves me more than Scott Cross, currently an assistant at TCU, and a former head coach at UTA. Good record at a place that had little or no tradition before he took over and knows the Sun Belt. I don't care if he's from Tejas. So was Jerry Moore. My second pick would be Scherz from LMU. He's an intriguing pick with a lot of ........ sorry, but I hate that cliche and refuse to type it.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:25 pm

asu66 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:19 pm
Tony Shaver's name (just fired by William & Mary with five years remaining on his contract) keeps slipping into threads here and there. I think that's a non-starter.

FIRST, a look at his record at Bill & Mary taken as a direct quotation from tribeathletics.com...

During Shaver's tenure, the Tribe made four appearances in the CAA Tournament final (most recently in 2015) as well as made two of the program's three trips to the National Invitation Tournament (2010, 2015). Over his 16 seasons, Shaver compiled an overall record of 226-268 (.457) and 124-162 (.434) in conference.

The DAILY PRESS in Newport News, VA breaks it down further.

Despite a losing season in 2018-19, the Tribe won at least 10 CAA games for the sixth consecutive season. But William and Mary remains one of four original Division I schools that has never played in the NCAA tournament. Under Shaver, the Tribe lost the CAA championship game four times — 2008, ’10, ’14 and ’15.

SECOND, sports agent Dennis "Cordell, a graduate of William and Mary, told the Daily Press’ David Teel that Shaver, age 65, is due a buyout of approximately $1.7 million, which is subject to offset if he is hired elsewhere. Shaver’s contract runs through the 2023-24 season.

Indications are that Shaver had planned to coach at his alma mater until age 70 and retire, possibly leaving the pathway clear for his son, Austin, to succeed him as head coach of The Tribe. Austin Shaver just completed his seventh season on his father's coaching staff.

There's nothing much that App needs less than an aging, sub .500 career winning percentage head coach demanding a minimum salary of $340,000/year or more plus perks, incentives and a coaching position for his son. Let's not entertain this thought for another second.
Agree! Hard pass!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:59 pm

appgrad2010 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:57 am
AppMom3 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:47 am
EastHallApp wrote:
BaritoneNC wrote:

Why not?
Maybe she knows someone who played there, like a relative? We do have someone on our roster who played for Shaver.

AppinVa knows Tony Shaver because in his days as sportswriter he covered his teams at Hampden-sydney. For what it's worth, the Tigers had some top flight D3 squads.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”