Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

sixtoes9134

Re: Fox fired

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:07 pm

He had good teams at HS., but here is the record at W&M: 226–268. thanks but no thanks. Lutz record much more impressive.

School: Appalachian State

Unread post by 8993 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:09 am
8993 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:43 am
I might catch some (unwarranted) heat for this, but I would also welcome a solid female coach for our men's basketball team. Coach Elderkin turned the women's team around this season and has some fire in her that I think has energized that team a bit more going into the off-season. I would be interested to see if there are any other female coaches out there that would be willing to take this role.

Also, just to be clear: this is not me saying that a female coach should be considered just for her gender. This is me saying that I want the best coach for App State, regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, age, etc. I want the best for App State and if the best was a female coach for the men's basketball team, then let's go.
Go away.
Nah.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:35 pm

MountaineerChemist10 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 am
Who wants Buzz Peterson back??
As Meatloaf would say,” I would do anything for a winner, but I won’t do that”

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:24 pm

appgrad2010 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:57 am
Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:26 am
I get nervous when we start talking about guys who don't have experience with Division One recruiting. That applies to rules, standards etc. Division 2 is a lot more loose with the rules to get guys and maybe I'm being overly paranoid but Capel had no experience and you saw where that got us. We need a coach that's going to be regimented both on and of the court. I really don't even want a coach that can't run a tight ship. I want us to have an identity. I want to not worry about violations or guys getting arrested. The guys we have now seem like good dudes, they just didn't have a direction on the actual court. I think we can achieve both with the right hire. I really don't want to take a crazy flier on some of these candidates. OK rant over. Thanks for bearing with me
You are incorrect. What rules are more loose that you speak of? So many people have no clue about collegiate athletics.
Are you sure about that? An honest question. D2 athletes have the same academic standards etc?

Hoopster

Unread post by Hoopster » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm

Actually they do not.

Hoopster

Unread post by Hoopster » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:44 pm

Full qualifier for DI is 2.3 core course GPA and 980 SAT
Full qualifier for DII is 2.2 core course GPA and 920 SAT

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:48 pm

appgrad2010 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:11 am
Tim Craft

Mike Jones

Both would be exceptional hires and fits.

Need someone who embraces community and the university.
I know for a fact that Tim Craft’s name has come up in Boone. Not my first choice, but I’ll admit I don’t know much about him. GO APPS!

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:08 pm

I certainly don’t think this will happen, but if Shaver came here that would mean Seacat would play for a coach that he transferred from. Never heard of that happening before.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:32 pm

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:07 pm
He had good teams at HS., but here is the record at W&M: 226–268. thanks but no thanks. Lutz record much more impressive.
I wasn't advocating for him. Just pointing out that he has been a successful coach at a lower level. I actually would have no problem with Lutz.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:20 pm

Arsenal App wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:21 pm
So far, I haven't seen any candidate that moves me more than Scott Cross, currently an assistant at TCU, and a former head coach at UTA. Good record at a place that had little or no tradition before he took over and knows the Sun Belt. I don't care if he's from Tejas. So was Jerry Moore. My second pick would be Scherz from LMU. He's an intriguing pick with a lot of ........ sorry, but I hate that cliche and refuse to type it.
What about Marvin Menzies?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:28 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:59 pm
appgrad2010 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:57 am
AppMom3 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:47 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:32 pm
BaritoneNC wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:20 pm
Just adding this to the discussion:

I think Brant overrates Shaver a bit. He had a Fancher-esque record at W&M over a longer time.
Not a Tony Shaver fan at all! Do not think he would be a good fit personally.
Why not?
Maybe she knows someone who played there, like a relative? We do have someone on our roster who played for Shaver.

AppinVa knows Tony Shaver because in his days as sportswriter he covered his teams at Hampden-sydney. For what it's worth, the Tigers had some top flight D3 squads.
They did, and he is a first class individual (he’s a Tar Heel, which are usually strikes 1, 2 and 3 for me, so he had that to overcome). I don’t think everyone understands how difficult it is to get a player into W&M, much less keep them there. Their student selection pool is similar to an Ivy League school, and if they can’t get in, too bad, let JMU have them. I’d like to see what he could do with a little more support and a willingness to work with a recruit who is a good kid, and would represent the University well, but might need some guidance with the books. I don’t know...I’m just saying he’s worth looking at, but if there’s a better fit, I’ll be happy with that, too.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:54 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:20 pm
Arsenal App wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:21 pm
So far, I haven't seen any candidate that moves me more than Scott Cross, currently an assistant at TCU, and a former head coach at UTA. Good record at a place that had little or no tradition before he took over and knows the Sun Belt. I don't care if he's from Tejas. So was Jerry Moore. My second pick would be Scherz from LMU. He's an intriguing pick with a lot of ........ sorry, but I hate that cliche and refuse to type it.
What about Marvin Menzies?
Don't know a damn thing about him other than he just got the axe at UNLV. Just the fact that he coached at that dung heap would worry me. But that's just me.

appfan22

Unread post by appfan22 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:32 pm

I heard Mike Bibby Sr. is available.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:47 pm

I wish HF was still here.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:55 pm

No.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:10 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:28 pm
hapapp wrote:
appgrad2010 wrote:
AppMom3 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:32 pm

I think Brant overrates Shaver a bit. He had a Fancher-esque record at W&M over a longer time.
Why not?
Maybe she knows someone who played there, like a relative? We do have someone on our roster who played for Shaver.

AppinVa knows Tony Shaver because in his days as sportswriter he covered his teams at Hampden-sydney. For what it's worth, the Tigers had some top flight D3 squads.
They did, and he is a first class individual (he’s a Tar Heel, which are usually strikes 1, 2 and 3 for me, so he had that to overcome). I don’t think everyone understands how difficult it is to get a player into W&M, much less keep them there. Their student selection pool is similar to an Ivy League school, and if they can’t get in, too bad, let JMU have them. I’d like to see what he could do with a little more support and a willingness to work with a recruit who is a good kid, and would represent the University well, but might need some guidance with the books. I don’t know...I’m just saying he’s worth looking at, but if there’s a better fit, I’ll be happy with that, too.
Gotta disagree in one sense. W&M is a public school with a 36 percent acceptance rate. That's highly selective for a public university and that does complicate athletic recruiting. No doubt about it. That 36 percent puts W&M somewhat in the ballpark with UVA and Davidson, both of whom are at about 30 percent. (Davidson is private.)

The Ancient Eight (the Ivys) operate in an alternate universe. They march to the beat of different drummers. As private schools, their acceptance rates vary from a high of 13 percent at Penn and Dartmouth to lows of seven percent at Yale and three percent at Harvard. The other four Ivy institutions are somewhere between their rivals. None of them offer athletic grants-in-aid...only academic aid funded by their gi-normous endowments.

That doesn't diminish the difficulty of recruiting student-athletes to W&M. Average students need not apply. It's just not really comparable with Ivy League institutions. Apples and oranges.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:22 pm

Ethan Joyce released 10 names of *potential* candidates, or people he thinks we should call. Well 9, and our beloved Matt McMahon (who we all want, but also know he ain’t coming). Most of these names have been mentioned here.

1. Tim Craft (G-W)
2. Bart Lundy (Queens)
3. Kevin McGeehan (Campbell)
4. Levels Moton (NCCU)
5. Josh Schertz (LMU)
6. Nate James (Duke Asst.)
7. Joel Justus (UK Asst.)
8. Takayo Siddle (NCSU Asst.)
9. Bobby Lutz
10. Matt McMahon

Not a fan of McGeehan

Not yet convinced by Moton or Craft, but good potential.

Matt is obvious 1st choice, but Mr. Cobb blew that one.

My top choices would be Schertz or Lundy. Nate James would be great, but I really think we need a coach with HC experience.

Dont know anything about Justus or Siddle, but I think this is a promising list. GO APPS!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:24 pm

asu66 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:10 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:28 pm
hapapp wrote:
appgrad2010 wrote:
AppMom3 wrote:

Why not?

Gotta disagree in one sense. W&M is a public school with a 36 percent acceptance rate. That's highly selective for a public university and that does complicate athletic recruiting. No doubt about it. That 36 percent puts W&M somewhat in the ballpark with UVA and Davidson, both of whom are at about 30 percent. (Davidson is private.)

The Ancient Eight (the Ivys) operate in an alternate universe. They march to the beat of different drummers. As private schools, their acceptance rates vary from a high of 13 percent at Penn and Dartmouth to lows of seven percent at Yale and three percent at Harvard. The other four Ivy institutions are somewhere between their rivals. None of them offer athletic grants-in-aid...only academic aid funded by their gi-normous endowments.

That doesn't diminish the difficulty of recruiting student-athletes to W&M. Average students need not apply. It's just not really comparable with Ivy League institutions. Apples and oranges.
I’m just going off what I’ve seen in my daughter’s college search. Still, W&M doesn’t make exceptions.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:27 pm

I think we should have no coach. The 9 seasons we had no coach, we were 86-33.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachi ... basketball

Hire No Coach, DG. It will save up some money for football.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Lutz checks a lot of boxes for me. Plus, he's getting younger by the minute.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”