Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

shortfatoldapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Men's Basketball Coaching Searchg

Unread post by shortfatoldapp » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:05 pm

Why is Lutz not employed in a basketball capacity now?

AppDawg

Re: Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Unread post by AppDawg » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:43 pm

Lutz is just trying to get more $ outta ‘ol CC in the ATL...

appbasketball123

Unread post by appbasketball123 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:58 pm

He was coaching the Chicago Bulls D-League team in 2017.

He could get some job, any dead end job if he wanted. Easily could be a high level as an assistant. His scouting knowledge would land him a job on any head coaches staff that scouting was not a strength.

He was able to be picky.

Charlotte owed him right at a million dollars when they bought him out, he got every dime of it as long as he was not a head coach.

So he went to Iowa State and NC State and probably made a solid $300-$500k per year as an assistant.

Plus getting paid out each year part of that million until the contract was paid in full.

So rough estimate, he was probably puling in a solid $500-700k plus per year for that 5 year span.

He isn't going to take the App job cause he needs to make a house payment.

He will take the App job because he wants a new challenge, show he can still coach, and bring a title to Boone.

I hope that DG hires him. He can make himself look good with making an easy decision. On the flip side, if he hires some young guy that isn't known...strikes out, he better hope Drink lights the field on fire.

If Drink is just average and he misses on the basketball hire, he will be polishing his resume on the way out the door.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:17 pm

I know nothing from nothing, but the on-air comments by Lutz don’t seem like the actions of someone who thinks he’s getting the job. Nor does it seem consistent with Gillin’s apparent preference for keeping the search process under wraps.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:49 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:17 pm
I know nothing from nothing, but the on-air comments by Lutz don’t seem like the actions of someone who thinks he’s getting the job. Nor does it seem consistent with Gillin’s apparent preference for keeping the search process under wraps.
Yeah, if Lutz was actually in strong consideration I bet Doug wouldn't have wanted him to go out in the public and talk about how much he wants the job. Whole thing seems fishy to me.

ClickClackApp

Unread post by ClickClackApp » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:23 pm

Let's be honest. The program needs hype. This is a little bit of hype. If the hire is Lutz then there's people in Charlotte that remember and like him. It'll perk some ears. App Basketball would be okay with a slow burn hire, that could grow like we hoped Fox would. But, what App Basketball needs is a slam dunk that gets the program wins out of the gate. Lutz would do that and with the team that is coming back plus what he can recruit will have App tournament ready fast.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:35 pm

Maybe DG is waiting for Jon Scheyer to finish the tournament. Doubtful, but as a Duke fan (I accept all hate) I'd like to see it.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Unread post by 8993 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:44 pm

ClickClackApp wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:23 pm
Let's be honest. The program needs hype. This is a little bit of hype. If the hire is Lutz then there's people in Charlotte that remember and like him. It'll perk some ears. App Basketball would be okay with a slow burn hire, that could grow like we hoped Fox would. But, what App Basketball needs is a slam dunk that gets the program wins out of the gate. Lutz would do that and with the team that is coming back plus what he can recruit will have App tournament ready fast.
Bruh. Why'd you steal my avatar? Lol.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:49 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:35 pm
Maybe DG is waiting for Jon Scheyer to finish the tournament. Doubtful, but as a Duke fan (I accept all hate) I'd like to see it.
Can't imagine leaving a seat on the best bench in college sports for our job unfortunately lol. I do think Scheyer and Smith will both be great coaches one day. But similar to the rest of K's assistants, they'll be picky about when they leave.

ClickClackApp

Unread post by ClickClackApp » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:50 pm

8993 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:44 pm
ClickClackApp wrote:

Google Image searched App State and the avatar size. I'll find another one if you're serious.

Unread post by 8993 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:54 pm

ClickClackApp wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:50 pm
8993 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:44 pm
ClickClackApp wrote:

Google Image searched App State and the avatar size. I'll find another one if you're serious.
No worries. I was just confused for a second and thought that I had commented on something without remembering having done it.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:04 pm

Lutz would be a fine hire, but man the hyperbole surrounding him is laughable. He had good runs, the end of his tenure at UNCC leaves a lot to desire. Given what Gottfried has shown since he showed Lutz the door I’d give Lutz a fair amount of credit for NCSU. But outside of your familiarity with his name, he really doesn’t separate himself at all from Craft and Jones.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:05 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:49 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:35 pm
Can't imagine leaving a seat on the best bench in college sports for our job unfortunately lol. I do think Scheyer and Smith will both be great coaches one day. But similar to the rest of K's assistants, they'll be picky about when they leave.
Those guys have tended to seek out other private schools, too.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:28 pm

I hope DG can wrap this up by the weekend. Monday is April Fools and it will be mass hysteria :roll:

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:05 am

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:05 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:46 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:19 pm
If it is Lutz this coaching search has been vastly different than the football coaching search.
Both are old State assistance coaches. Sarcasm I assume?
No I was serious. The football coaching search was one of the most tight-lipped D-1 acquisitions I've ever heard of. Before Drink was announced he wasn't appearing in much if any speculation, even by those who specialize in coaching hire scoops. There certainly wasn't a pre-announcement radio interview asking about the App job.

Lutz is probably one of the most often named candidates I've seen in print over the past week. He's going on the radio expressing interest. It would greatly contrast with the Drink hire even though they were both employed by NC State at one time.
The football vacancy was filled, at least to some extent, through the use of a search firm. IIRC, DG has been quoted as saying he didn't plan to go that route with the MBB vacancy. That could mean that he pretty well knew by the end of Jan. that, barring some turnaround of seismic proportions, he would have to give Fox the hook. It's thinkable that he had his short-list by mid-Feb. and that the big splash awaits only the contract being fine-tuned.

As for Lutz, he told several reporters last summer that he didn't need to work and would not coach again. Then, today on FNZ, he's Like "I can't wait for the App folks to call me. I hope it's soon. I want that opportunity."

I know exactly what he's going through. In that interview, he was extremely complimentary of our university, students and fans...but it was painfully awkward. He's discovered what most success-driven older guys have to face sooner or later. It's a life-altering event when you have to spit out the bit. He still thinks he can kick up his heels, but he wants to do it close to home. The Denver shore of LKN is just 90 minutes from campus. Closer to home than Atlanta...4 hours and 30 min.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:24 am

Some of you guys with your “DG needs to get this right or else” mentality sounds like the Iggles fans down south. What hire has he made that hasn’t done well? Baseball looks improved, softball is playing lights out, and the women’s round ball team just got their 20th win. I think that he has done well enough to this point with hires, that we don’t need to hold him over the fire.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:16 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:24 am
Some of you guys with your “DG needs to get this right or else” mentality sounds like the Iggles fans down south. What hire has he made that hasn’t done well? Baseball looks improved, softball is playing lights out, and the women’s round ball team just got their 20th win. I think that he has done well enough to this point with hires, that we don’t need to hold him over the fire.
In DG we Trust!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:42 am

I like our AD , does a good job ,I support him , he has made mistakes,this hire is a big deal-got to get it right.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:53 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:24 am
LOL there was a comment that if he doesn’t get this hire right and if Drink turns out to be just “average” then DG would be shown the door. I have to wonder what athletic department you’ve kept an eye on in the last 5 years if that’s your thought. Unbelievable.

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:17 am

Doug is the man and our guy as an AD regardless of how this basketball hire goes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”