Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

appstate24
School: Appalachian State

Re: Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:19 am

On App State Mania, they are saying a decision is expected by Wednesday at the latest.

Also, rumblings of Troy hiring Scott Cross. His name was mentioned by some posters here. Great hire for them if true.

Looking forward to see what DG has up his sleeve. GO APPS!!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:57 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:24 am
Some of you guys with your “DG needs to get this right or else” mentality sounds like the Iggles fans down south. What hire has he made that hasn’t done well? Baseball looks improved, softball is playing lights out, and the women’s round ball team just got their 20th win. I think that he has done well enough to this point with hires, that we don’t need to hold him over the fire.
Yeah, this hire isn’t “life or death”, but make no mistake, DG knows that if he can get MBB up to a relevant level (look at UCF this weekend) that will be one of those key pieces in putting App State in position for national relevance and looks from other conferences. This is the end game after all..... our football program is in a good spot, but basketball is the anchor around our ankles.
The Appalachian State

asu2000

Unread post by asu2000 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:58 am

Anyone have some salary range ideas of what we are looking to pay a new coach? What about Bryce Drew, he just got let go at Vandy - Lets aim higher than Lutz - I feel like there is a coaches son on a bench somewhere that might need a job, similar to Ryan Odom, he was in our backyard not to long ago at Charlotte as an assistant and then Lenior Rhyne and well he hasn't done much at UMBC (just 3 straight 20 win seasons and an upset of a #1 seed) - hopefully we are beating the bushes and looking under every chair.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:14 am

asu2000 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:58 am
Anyone have some salary range ideas of what we are looking to pay a new coach? What about Bryce Drew, he just got let go at Vandy - Lets aim higher than Lutz - I feel like there is a coaches son on a bench somewhere that might need a job, similar to Ryan Odom, he was in our backyard not to long ago at Charlotte as an assistant and then Lenior Rhyne and well he hasn't done much at UMBC (just 3 straight 20 win seasons and an upset of a #1 seed) - hopefully we are beating the bushes and looking under every chair.
We didn't do so great using "Coach's son" as a criteria last time. Let's actually use the performance of the person we're hiring to drive our decision.

Hoopster

Unread post by Hoopster » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:18 am

A Bobby Lutz hire would be the best response to Troy hiring Scott Cross. Why didn't we talk to Scott Cross. We are a bottom 3 Sun Belt MBB job. To get someone with Lutz's stature and record would be a home run hire. Hoping DG does the right thing and closes the deal with Lutz!

asu2000

Unread post by asu2000 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:20 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:14 am
asu2000 wrote:
We didn't do so great using "Coach's son" as a criteria last time. Let's actually use the performance of the person we're hiring to drive our decision.
Very true - but we do have different leadership this time - anxious times, 2 major hires we have endured (ing)

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:26 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:53 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Some of you guys with your “DG needs to get this right or else” mentality sounds like the Iggles fans down south. What hire has he made that hasn’t done well? Baseball looks improved, softball is playing lights out, and the women’s round ball team just got their 20th win. I think that he has done well enough to this point with hires, that we don’t need to hold him over the fire.
LOL there was a comment that if he doesn’t get this hire right and if Drink turns out to be just “average” then DG would be shown the door. I have to wonder what athletic department you’ve kept an eye on in the last 5 years if that’s your thought. Unbelievable.
It’s absolutely insane. Lol

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:33 am

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:26 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:53 am
AppSt94 wrote:
LOL there was a comment that if he doesn’t get this hire right and if Drink turns out to be just “average” then DG would be shown the door. I have to wonder what athletic department you’ve kept an eye on in the last 5 years if that’s your thought. Unbelievable.
It’s absolutely insane. Lol
Crazy. DG is the one AD that actually listens to us and delivers based on resources he has. If we want to help him, Join Yosef Club. Give DG the resources. We will not regret the investment we make with him at the helm.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:39 am

This basketball hire and Drink's success is likely the difference between DG getting a P5 AD job or an AAC one.

If both of these hires work out we aren't keeping DG beyond 12-24 months after the NEZ complex is complete, but he will have left a very attractive job open at that time, similar to Satt leaving.

RiversRunsThroughIt

Unread post by RiversRunsThroughIt » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:05 am

Expect white smoke from the chimney before the next womens game...1 of the top 4 has withdrawn.

ClickClackApp

Unread post by ClickClackApp » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:13 am

RiversRunsThroughIt wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:05 am
Expect white smoke from the chimney before the next womens game...1 of the top 4 has withdrawn.
Which contender?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:20 am

Bobby didn’t sound like he had been contacted on WFNZ yesterday.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:20 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:49 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:17 pm
I know nothing from nothing, but the on-air comments by Lutz don’t seem like the actions of someone who thinks he’s getting the job. Nor does it seem consistent with Gillin’s apparent preference for keeping the search process under wraps.
Yeah, if Lutz was actually in strong consideration I bet Doug wouldn't have wanted him to go out in the public and talk about how much he wants the job. Whole thing seems fishy to me.
You are quite the detective 🙄

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:22 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:04 pm
Lutz would be a fine hire, but man the hyperbole surrounding him is laughable. He had good runs, the end of his tenure at UNCC leaves a lot to desire. Given what Gottfried has shown since he showed Lutz the door I’d give Lutz a fair amount of credit for NCSU. But outside of your familiarity with his name, he really doesn’t separate himself at all from Craft and Jones.
He separates himself a lot from those others. Not sure how you draw that conclusion

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:25 am

asu2000 wrote:
We need someone who has proven success. Are you not tired of taking fliers on guys on basketball?

RiversRunsThroughIt

Unread post by RiversRunsThroughIt » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:26 am

ClickClackApp wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:13 am
RiversRunsThroughIt wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:05 am
Which contender?
I can't confirm this but I think Mike Jones. Not 100% positive. DG doing a great job with this process. Going to find someone that wants to be at App.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:48 am

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:57 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Yeah, this hire isn’t “life or death”, but make no mistake, DG knows that if he can get MBB up to a relevant level (look at UCF this weekend) that will be one of those key pieces in putting App State in position for national relevance and looks from other conferences. This is the end game after all..... our football program is in a good spot, but basketball is the anchor around our ankles.
If football and baseball are successful, wrestling continues domination and the other sports continue to improve, we could be looking for a new AD soon.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:02 am

appstate24 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:19 am
On App State Mania, they are saying a decision is expected by Wednesday at the latest.

Also, rumblings of Troy hiring Scott Cross. His name was mentioned by some posters here. Great hire for them if true.

"They" being AppStateMania himself, which I'd say is a good source. That leads me to believe the hire has been made. That someone has withdrawn, means he didn't get the job. AppStateMania posted that on Sunday. Seems like if Lutz was a candidate as Goodman suggests and he was on 610 talking about the job on Monday and the decision had already been made, it leads me to think Lutz is the coach. Why would he be throwing himself out there if the job was filled already?

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:19 am

I'd be fine with Lutz, but it's interesting that exactly one year ago tomorrow he gave another interview on WFNZ that sounded a lot like the one yesterday.

https://247sports.com/college/east-caro ... 116757434/
Last edited by MAD Doctor on Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:20 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:02 am
appstate24 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:19 am

"They" being AppStateMania himself, which I'd say is a good source. That leads me to believe the hire has been made. That someone has withdrawn, means he didn't get the job. AppStateMania posted that on Sunday. Seems like if Lutz was a candidate as Goodman suggests and he was on 610 talking about the job on Monday and the decision had already been made, it leads me to think Lutz is the coach. Why would he be throwing himself out there if the job was filled already?
Because in history, we have shown to be susceptible to shiny things being waved at us when hiring coaches. That and until DG goes to the BoT, the position is still open.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”