Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Hoopster
School: Appalachian State

Re: Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Unread post by Hoopster » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Kerns has done a very impressive job at PC. Also, he is from the Mike Young coaching tree. Would be a good hire if DG has no interest in Lutz, who would have been the best get, for multiple reasons.

appbasketball123

Unread post by appbasketball123 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:05 pm

Well, seems like Doug is not interested in Lutz.

Hope he pulls out a good coach today.

When is AppMania going to announce the hire?

It was suppose to be today the latest.

Hoopster

Unread post by Hoopster » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:09 pm

Kerns won 20 games at PC this year. Averaged 15.5 wins per year. Ten years prior to his arrival PC averaged 8.9 wins, with a high year of 14 wins. Again, an impressive job and a better fit than Craft. Kerns is from Kingsport, TN. Craft is from Fla. Judge for yourself.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:15 pm

Hoopster wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:09 pm
Kerns won 20 games at PC this year. Averaged 15.5 wins per year. Ten years prior to his arrival PC averaged 8.9 wins, with a high year of 14 wins. Again, an impressive job and a better fit than Craft. Kerns is from Kingsport, TN. Craft is from Fla. Judge for yourself.
I like his potential as well, and have been an advocate. But, what else makes him a better fit than craft other than being from Kingsport? My only concern is that I figured his old mentor at wofford might tell him to stay away from App

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:25 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:37 pm
It doesn't sound like the money is the problem with Lutz. Seems like its something on our side. Seems like this whole process has gotten complicated all of a sudden.
It's certainly complicated. It's late March and we know that at least one candidate has declined our offer. We appear to be down to a couple of Big South coaches with lackluster experience and/or success and a former Duke football player (if a tweet from out of the clear blue yonder can be believed). The Board of Trustees meets tomorrow. Athletic matters are on the agenda. This puts DG between a rock and a hard place.

This may be the reason he says he's not in a hurry. Rushing to hire one of these three candidates by 3 PM tomorrow certainly qualifies as being complicated and high risk.

I'm with Stonewall. IMHO, it's time for a complete "do-over."
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:49 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:52 pm
Apptrain wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:17 pm
Lutz stated on DG show that App is looking at a younger candidate.
$&@+ ! Where has “younger” gotten us recently? I’d take proven winner over little boy with potential any day right now. Especially when the geezer apparently really wants to be here.
In fairness, this could be taken out of context.

We may be looking at someone younger, but that didn't mean that was a prerequisite of DG's search. Could very well mean that DG found someone he felt was a better fit that just happened to be younger.

As long as whoever they hire is a good fit, it doesn't matter to me what their age is personally.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Hoopster wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:09 pm
Of the two, I would prefer Kerns based on his background and what he has been able to accomplish in a short time at PC. Frankly, I'm not excited about Craft. My biggest concern is we wind up with someone who hasn't had head coaching experience and we know that hasn't worked so well for us.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:25 pm

asu66 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:25 pm
hapapp wrote:
It doesn't sound like the money is the problem with Lutz. Seems like its something on our side. Seems like this whole process has gotten complicated all of a sudden.
It's certainly complicated. It's late March and we know that at least one candidate has declined our offer. We appear to be down to a couple of Big South coaches with lackluster experience and/or success and a former Duke football player (if a tweet from out of the clear blue yonder can be believed). The Board of Trustees meets tomorrow. Athletic matters are on the agenda. This puts DG between a rock and a hard place.

This may be the reason he says he's not in a hurry. Rushing to hire one of these three candidates by 3 PM tomorrow certainly qualifies as being complicated and high risk.

Do we really know that a candidate has declined our offer? I tend to think “turned us down” often means “withdrew from consideration” without an offer being made. Admittedly I don’t know for sure what happened here.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:28 pm

It seems to me Jones used App and Elon to better his deal at Radford.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Under current circumstances, I could get on board with Kerns. He's worked for Buzz Peterson, Mike Young (twice) and Kerry Keating...all well-known coaches to ASU fans. He's received acclaim for his recruiting success at Santa Clara and the quick turn of fortunes for PC MBB.

My greatest concern at the moment is that if he'd leave PC after only two seasons, would he give App the same treatment if the opportunity arose?

Que sera, sera!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:39 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:25 pm
asu66 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:25 pm
hapapp wrote:

Do we really know that a candidate has declined our offer? I tend to think “turned us down” often means “withdrew from consideration” without an offer being made. Admittedly I don’t know for sure what happened here.
I don't know for certain, either. It's really semantics. Jones probably used us to get a better deal at Radford so he can stay there and coach his son for the next four years. The guy's a slick operator. He's improved his base salary from $205,000 to $300,000 in under 8 months and didn't have to move to do it.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:50 pm

I do not believe Jones was offered .

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Why coaches leave most of time is for $$$$. I wouldn’t put much thought in how long someone is going to stay until we have somebody. Maybe DG has a rabbit in his hat like he did for football. No question that money is an issue. It’s being put out there that we are a football school.... and won’t pay what we need to get a good HC. I would have thought we would pay in the $350 range for experience. Maybe not though.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:06 pm

See like Nate Oakes just did.... going from U Buffalo to Alabama...... all (most) about the Benjamins baby.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:58 pm

This is my one and only post on this topic. A LOT has changed since the post about a hire being announced today was made just three days ago. Given all that has taken place, today has gone from probably to doubtful and is heading towards not a chance in hell.

That is all. I now return you to the normal MMB posting.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:01 pm

app97 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:24 pm
appstate24 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:16 pm
Sounds like the Lutz ship has sailed. Just listened to his interview on the David Glenn show and he pretty much said App is looking for someone younger.

Truly sounded like he really wanted the opportunity to coach our team. Really hope we don’t regret passing on him.
Betting our budget was a factor as well.
Our budget wasn't a factor. He used App to get more money to stay home.

ClickClackApp

Unread post by ClickClackApp » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:06 pm

firemoose wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:58 pm
This is my one and only post on this topic. A LOT has changed since the post about a hire being announced today was made just three days ago. Given all that has taken place, today has gone from probably to doubtful and is heading towards not a chance in hell.

Hmm could be Doug had his guy and word got around to the big donors that Lutz wants in and things had to get reevaluated.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:24 pm

We had the perfect candidate in McMahon under our nose and looked the other way twice.

Lutz is right under our nose now. It seems like Lutz is the perfect candidate and wants to be here. I hope we don’t look the other way a third time. GO APPS!!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:58 pm

firemoose wrote:

The Moose has spoken. And we didn't even have to pay for that nugget!
The Appalachian State

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:01 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:58 pm
firemoose wrote:

The Moose has spoken. And we didn't even have to pay for that nugget!
Still just a tease though. Well played moose, well played.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”