Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:06 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:58 pm
firemoose wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:58 pm
This is my one and only post on this topic. A LOT has changed since the post about a hire being announced today was made just three days ago. Given all that has taken place, today has gone from probably to doubtful and is heading towards not a chance in hell.

That is all. I now return you to the normal MMB posting.
The Moose has spoken. And we didn't even have to pay for that nugget!
People pay for sites like 24/7 and Rivals because the discussions are much more granular in nature. For instance, as Moose explained, things have changed. The patrons on the pay sites are provided information that isn't conjecture or hearsay, but rather information that is reliable.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:34 pm

Sounds like something has definitely thrown a wrench in the process. Very eager to see how it plays out. Most of the fanbase seems to want Lutz (personally I'm very skeptical) and I bet a lot of the big donors do as well. Really can't wait to see who Doug lands on

appbasketball123

Unread post by appbasketball123 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:48 pm

Well...looks like no announcement.

Either AppMania has got bad intel...

Or Doug thought he had a deal done, info got leaked to AppMania and whoever was offered back out of the job for whatever reason.

Or as some has speculated, maybe Doug is feeling pressure to offer Lutz now that maybe option 1 and option 2 has fallen through.

Personally I dont think Lutz has been offered due to the fact he was on tbe radio Monday and today.

If he had been offered, he would be laying low and ironing out details.

I feel like in all reality, we are probably on option 3 at this point.

Not expecting great news but hope to be suprised.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:52 pm

AppHoops wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:49 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:52 pm
Apptrain wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:17 pm
Lutz stated on DG show that App is looking at a younger candidate.
$&@+ ! Where has “younger” gotten us recently? I’d take proven winner over little boy with potential any day right now. Especially when the geezer apparently really wants to be here.
In fairness, this could be taken out of context.

We may be looking at someone younger, but that didn't mean that was a prerequisite of DG's search. Could very well mean that DG found someone he felt was a better fit that just happened to be younger.

As long as whoever they hire is a good fit, it doesn't matter to me what their age is personally.
Lutz did sound eager for the opportunity in the DG interview. He even stated, in regard to the age thing, that the average age of the remaining tournament coaches is 60 ( That’s what he said, I have no idea)in an attempt to downplay his age. Now he did admit that many of those coaches started where they are at a much younger age and remain there after having built their respective programs.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:54 pm

appbasketball123 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:48 pm
Well...looks like no announcement.

Either AppMania has got bad intel...

Or Doug thought he had a deal done, info got leaked to AppMania and whoever was offered back out of the job for whatever reason.

Or as some has speculated, maybe Doug is feeling pressure to offer Lutz now that maybe option 1 and option 2 has fallen through.

Personally I dont think Lutz has been offered due to the fact he was on tbe radio Monday and today.

If he had been offered, he would be laying low and ironing out details.

I feel like in all reality, we are probably on option 3 at this point.

Not expecting great news but hope to be suprised.
Or there is a late horse to the gate.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:21 pm

I’m breaking protocol here, but I have an inside source that says we were close to announcing a hire when an agent for Mike Krzyzewski reached out to DG.
Expect Jon Scheyer to lead the blue devils in the sweet 16 game Friday night. Coach K should be announced here as soon as the BOTs approve hiring a non-UNC coach.
Please keep this info here and confidential, and whatever you do, don’t talk about this on a pay site. This is privileged info only for the eyes of non-elite free site schmucks.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:30 pm

96A999F0-BF00-45AE-957C-FA33533729D8.png

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Glad we are getting a new coach. Trusting DG. Who ever he selects, I’m confident we will be better. Go Apps!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

appstanding

Unread post by appstanding » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:16 pm

The Rock wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:21 pm
I’m breaking protocol here, but I have an inside source that says we were close to announcing a hire when an agent for Mike Krzyzewski reached out to DG.
Expect Jon Scheyer to lead the blue devils in the sweet 16 game Friday night. Coach K should be announced here as soon as the BOTs approve hiring a non-UNC coach.
Please keep this info here and confidential, and whatever you do, don’t talk about this on a pay site. This is privileged info only for the eyes of non-elite free site schmucks.
Sorry dude. My sources tell me that we'll be announcing the hiring of John Wooden tomorrow. For the record, I did not get this from a pay site.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:53 am

You are both wrong. ericsaid is going to coach the men's basketball team. After watching copious amounts of tape in his basement lair, he has determined that DGB's prowess on the gridiron would easily transfer to the hardwood and has already named him the starting Power Forward for next year.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:48 am

While I'm hoping for a proven experienced coach like Lutz, whoever gets the job should receive the overwhelming support of students, alumni, and fans. This process should awaken us as a fan base and make us ask ourselves what have we done, and what are we doing to make this job attractive to the kind of coach (and players) we would want. From a coach's perspective, coming into a program such as ours, is as big of a gamble for him as we think it is for us. He's walking into a football school that barely gets a few hundred, much less thousand basketball fans in the stands, even with free food. It could be seen as a possible career ender as much as an incredible opportunity. It shouldn't be his job to sell us on the team- it IS OUR team, and he'll have plenty of other things to do. Let's pledge now to do our part regardless of who gets the job. GO APP!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:15 am

The Rock wrote:
Coach K is too old, we don't want him.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:30 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:15 am
The Rock wrote:
Coach K is too old, we don't want him.
I would expect a lot of back spasms and fetal positions over the first few seasons, similar to me over the last few years witnessing App basketball.
The Appalachian State

MountaineerDave86

Unread post by MountaineerDave86 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:57 am

Whoever the hire is better have a really cool last name that's easy to make puns with. If not I wouldn't even entertain the idea of having a Drinkwitz him.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:23 am

MountaineerDave86 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:57 am
Whoever the hire is better have a really cool last name that's easy to make puns with. If not I wouldn't even entertain the idea of having a Drinkwitz him.
Maybe DG can find a Coach Ice to hire.

"Drinkwitz Ice"
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

JGthatsme86

Unread post by JGthatsme86 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:30 am

It would be really cool if everyone that has taken the time to post on this thread would actually agree to attend a game next season to support the new coach and team.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:58 am

I commit to attending the home opener if at all possible.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:19 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:23 am
MountaineerDave86 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:57 am
Maybe DG can find a Coach Ice to hire.

"Drinkwitz Ice"
Corchiani?

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:43 am

A few comments have been posted about Lutz possibly being too old at age 60. Being old myself, I thought it might be useful to look at the ages of the coaches in the "sweet 16". Here you go:
Mike Krzyzewski 72
Leonard Hamilton 71
Roy Williams 69
John Berlein 66
Rick Barnes 65
Kelvin Sampson 64
Tom Izzo 64
Dana Altman 61
John Calipari 60
Mark Few 59
Bruce Pearl 59
Tony Benford 55 (interm)
Tony Bennett 50
Matt Painter 48
Buzz Williams 47
Chris Beard 44

mgsouth

Unread post by mgsouth » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 am

Actually Buzz Peterson is being brought back for a 3rd time. All that is holding up the process is his writing of his acceptance speech. It should go like this..."I am so happy to be back at APP. It was such a wonderful experience for me and my family before. I am ready. I really mean it this time. I know what I said before but I am ready to really settle down and build a dynasty. I am really serious this time. Third time will be the charm."
:D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”