Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

appstate77
School: Appalachian State

Re: Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:31 am

mgsouth wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 am
Actually Buzz Peterson is being brought back for a 3rd time. All that is holding up the process is his writing of his acceptance speech. It should go like this..."I am so happy to be back at APP. It was such a wonderful experience for me and my family before. I am ready. I really mean it this time. I know what I said before but I am ready to really settle down and build a dynasty. I am really serious this time. Third time will be the charm."
:D
Retch, Vomit, Nausea.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:42 am

mgsouth wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 am
Actually Buzz Peterson is being brought back for a 3rd time. All that is holding up the process is his writing of his acceptance speech. It should go like this..."I am so happy to be back at APP. It was such a wonderful experience for me and my family before. I am ready. I really mean it this time. I know what I said before but I am ready to really settle down and build a dynasty. I am really serious this time. Third time will be the charm."
:D

"Actually, guys, this is my fourth time to make The High Country my home. I have many friends here in this community--some of whom date back to my time as an assistant with Coach Apke's 'A-Team.' I see guys here that I had in summer camp back in those days. Hey, I still have that autographed A-Team poster framed and hanging over my desk in my office at home in Weddington/Waxhaw.

Speaking of that home, Jan and I do plan to eventually put it on the market, but she's going to be staying there for a few more months. The kids are either still in college or are just entering their chosen professions. I do expect Jan to wrap up some things down there and join me here by the time practice starts in October. Hmmm, ughhh, well, at least by New Year's day. She still enjoys a good party.

Those of you who know us really well know that Jan appsolutely loves it here. She never wanted to leave the first time and she's eagerly looking forward to getting back up here with her many High Country 'sisters.' Geez, this is a dream come true for us. You just don't know how honored we feel to be back at App State."
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:02 am

Just a thought brought up by someone on another site, but could the whole Gottfried, pay scandal at NC State be affecting Lutz? Guilty by association maybe? Either way, not my thoughts but a relevant point to that person, who also posts here.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:24 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:02 am
Just a thought brought up by someone on another site, but could the whole Gottfried, pay scandal at NC State be affecting Lutz? Guilty by association maybe? Either way, not my thoughts but a relevant point to that person, who also posts here.
Not positive, but believe all that happened after Lutz left NC State, but that he was a Gottfried asst at some point could be a bad association. I look at it as a learning experience in that he learned from Gottfried of how to not be a terrible coach.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:26 am

AppSt94 wrote:
I was just trying to find a reason that we wouldn't have moved on him. Frankly, he was my choice.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:30 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Remember-Drink was at NCS during that time period. I’m sure DG knows all he needs to know about that situation

MountaineerDave86

Unread post by MountaineerDave86 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:42 am

At this point do we think Lutz is in the running or no? I saw something about his comments on the David Glenn show, but never heard a point blank "he's ruled out."

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:44 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Could be. It could also be any one or two of two-dozen other things. It could be that things just got messy for Caesar on the way to The Forum. I have faith in DG to get it right so long as he has enough options. I know he's set the bar high with his expectations.

There are dozens of coaches he could get to agree to contract terms. Ten days ago he had a nice handful of guys he thought could be successful. As he did his interviews and conducted background checks, the dropout syndrome kicked-in. Only a select few people know where things stand now and who/how many remain in the hunt.

It's crunch-time for DG and nail-biting time for we fanatics. BOT "athletics" session is just two-hours and 15 minutes away. :?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:08 pm

This program is considered a dead end for a lot of coaches...

RiversRunsThroughIt

Unread post by RiversRunsThroughIt » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:08 pm

Kerns. Done deal.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:19 pm

If so, I would approve. Local ET guy with Asst. Head Coach creds at Wofford.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:24 pm

3 pm Closed Session BOT Athletics Commitee

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:45 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:24 pm
3 pm Closed Session BOT Athletics Commitee
I'm OK with Kerns if that's the decision. If he can work for Peterson, Keats and Young, then he's a pretty solid prospect for us.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:57 pm

If it is Kearns, this article sheds some light on his coaching style and the turnaround made in the last year at Presbyterian, in particular "I want to build it with high school players,” Kerns said. “We might sprinkle in an occasional transfer every now and then, there’s nothing wrong with that, but I want to build a program and not a team, and when you build a program you’ve got four year guys.”
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/3/ ... davon-bell
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:37 pm

The more I hear about Kerns the better I feel.

appbasketball123

Unread post by appbasketball123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Hopefully Kearns will accept, I don't want to have to hear what Plan D is, unless it is Lutz then I think most everyone would be thrilled.

Lutz seemed to be the peoples pick but Doug had Jones, Craft, Kerns rated higher. Hopefully it all works out for the best and we become competitive again.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:55 pm

I guess McGeehan is not in the mix anymore?

mgsouth

Unread post by mgsouth » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:03 pm

I don't think Kerns has done enough yet to be offered another head coach position. It looks like he has Presbyterian headed in the right direction but one winning season isn't enough proof that he can sustain that success yet. If that is the best we can do then that says a lot about where our program has sunk. If he is hired, I hope he is successful gets us winning but I would like to see us hire a head coach with more experience and an overall winning record. In other words, A proven winner.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:06 pm

mgsouth wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:03 pm
I don't think Kerns has done enough yet to be offered another head coach position. It looks like he has Presbyterian headed in the right direction but one winning season isn't enough proof that he can sustain that success yet. If that is the best we can do then that says a lot about where our program has sunk. If he is hired, I hope he is successful gets us winning but I would like to see us hire a head coach with more experience and an overall winning record. In other words, A proven winner.
Other than Bobby Lutz, if you wanna call him a proven winner, that’s not who is going to come coach at a bottom dwelling sunbelt school who has never invested in their basketball program. Sorry, just not gonna happen.

And, yeah, it does say a lot. You just start paying attention to basketball this year?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:23 pm

Meeting is going on 90 minutes. Do we have a problem? I've seen no tweets.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”