Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

teaasu76
School: Appalachian State

Re: Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Unread post by teaasu76 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:40 pm

Mods, Can we close this thread? We have a coach, there is no longer a search. Look to the future and learn from the past.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:51 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:05 pm
I couldn't care less whether Jones was offered or not. People are offered jobs and turn them down all the time. I don't know why we should care. It's his loss. I am happy with the Kearns hire
Whether Jones turned us down or not has no bearing on whether we should be happy with the Kerns hire. No reason to get bent out of shape because he did. Facts are sometimes inconvenient things. What matters is what happens going forward.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:26 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:51 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:05 pm
I couldn't care less whether Jones was offered or not. People are offered jobs and turn them down all the time. I don't know why we should care. It's his loss. I am happy with the Kearns hire
Whether Jones turned us down or not has no bearing on whether we should be happy with the Kerns hire. No reason to get bent out of shape because he did. Facts are sometimes inconvenient things. What matters is what happens going forward.
Exactly!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:10 pm

Why is this thread still going? Didn’t the search end?

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:31 pm

Search? What search?
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:36 pm

We’ve got another 85 pages to fill before this thread goes away.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:23 pm

Of the names circulated,we got my first choice. I’m fired up!

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:48 am

First, good luck with your new coach. New hires can be a crap shoot--and I am speaking from experience.

I see that Lutz will be talking to new HC Fred Hoiberg at Nebraska next week. No surprise there. With a $1 million pool for assistants he may actually make more money there than he would have at App, but I bet he would have taken your job. Too bad he was too old.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/for ... 0ddb5.html

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:11 am

Nugget49 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:48 am
First, good luck with your new coach. New hires can be a crap shoot--and I am speaking from experience.

I see that Lutz will be talking to new HC Fred Hoiberg at Nebraska next week. No surprise there. With a $1 million pool for assistants he may actually make more money there than he would have at App, but I bet he would have taken your job. Too bad he was too old.

I’m sure he would have too since he publicly begged for it. 300+ D-1 teams in the NCAA and Lutz isn’t in any other head coach conversations whatsoever.

App State can do better and we did.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:27 am

Nugget49 wrote:

Help me out here. Did you want us to take Lutz because you feel he would be a great fit for us, a great place for him and you still like him, or because you could remind us that we hired a UNCC castoff? I’m hoping for the former two, but betting on the latter.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:12 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:27 am
Nugget49 wrote:

Help me out here. Did you want us to take Lutz because you feel he would be a great fit for us, a great place for him and you still like him, or because you could remind us that we hired a UNCC castoff? I’m hoping for the former two, but betting on the latter.
Fair question, and I tried to make it clear in my previous post on this thread. I like Lutz a lot (everyone at Charlotte does), and he wants to coach again so I want that for him. I think App would be a good fit for him, and I think he would have been a good fit for App. He is a very good coach that lost focus when he lost the Tennessee job to Bruce Pearl at the last moment, and he let that affect his job at Charlotte. Of course that is all a dozen years behind him.

I do not really believe that how App does in basketball has much impact on Charlotte, so I am not going to put any real effort into rooting for your demise. If Lutz had been hired I would have wanted him to succeed unless we were playing App, and mostly I would hope that our teams did not play because the Lutz angle would have been the story no matter who won or lost.

In my opinion Lutz played his career cards wrong after we let him go. Going to the P5 as an assistant was a good move to show that he was valued in the industry, but then he needed to take a step down to a smaller program as HC, win, and move back up. It appears that he did not want to do that. Now he seemed ready. I can't second guess Gillin because I do not have all the information that he does, but clearly he had a coach with 398 wins interested in the job at the rather low salary available, and instead he went with one that has 31 wins.

Two important things: All of the great coaches started with just 31 wins at some point, so you just cannot yet know how good Kerns might be. And Charlotte took the same basic approach in our football hire, so I get it.

You should know in 3 years if Kerns is the guy.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:28 pm

Hopefully we will know well before 3 years but depending on what happens with recruiting and player retention, things could get interesting.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:40 pm

Nugget49 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:12 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:27 am
Nugget49 wrote:

Fair question, and I tried to make it clear in my previous post on this thread. I like Lutz a lot (everyone at Charlotte does), and he wants to coach again so I want that for him. I think App would be a good fit for him, and I think he would have been a good fit for App. He is a very good coach that lost focus when he lost the Tennessee job to Bruce Pearl at the last moment, and he let that affect his job at Charlotte. Of course that is all a dozen years behind him.

I do not really believe that how App does in basketball has much impact on Charlotte, so I am not going to put any real effort into rooting for your demise. If Lutz had been hired I would have wanted him to succeed unless we were playing App, and mostly I would hope that our teams did not play because the Lutz angle would have been the story no matter who won or lost.

In my opinion Lutz played his career cards wrong after we let him go. Going to the P5 as an assistant was a good move to show that he was valued in the industry, but then he needed to take a step down to a smaller program as HC, win, and move back up. It appears that he did not want to do that. Now he seemed ready. I can't second guess Gillin because I do not have all the information that he does, but clearly he had a coach with 398 wins interested in the job at the rather low salary available, and instead he went with one that has 31 wins.

Two important things: All of the great coaches started with just 31 wins at some point, so you just cannot yet know how good Kerns might be. And Charlotte took the same basic approach in our football hire, so I get it.

You should know in 3 years if Kerns is the guy.
And a fair and understandable answer. Thanks.
I would’ve been fine with Lutz, and I think he could’ve gotten us on the right track, but it’s a hard call, and I hope we made the right one.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:17 pm

UNCC won 8 games last year perhaps they should hire Lutz.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:01 pm

The guy comes and gives a fair and honest assessment of why he thought Lutz would have been a good fit for App. And because he's a Charlotte fan some here respond with glib answers. Makes one wonder if Charlotte turned them down at some point. I know I'm much older than most here but I just don't get unprovoked hostility.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:23 pm

Talked to DG today.....He took a lot of heat for not considering Lutz, but he is absolutely confident that he got the right guy for the MBB program. In DG we trust!
The Appalachian State

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:10 pm

I wasn't being glib, that was my fair and honest assessment.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:28 pm

I’ll be happy if i never see the ever so average Bobby Lutz mentioned on this board again.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:50 pm

Bobby Lutz has taken teams to the NCAA 5 times, which is more times than App has been to the post season collectively. That includes the NCA, NIT, and CBI. He went to the NIT 3 times as well. We could be so lucky to have been that average.

I'm perfectly content with our choice and he very well could be exactly what we need. But, don't put down someone's career because he wasnt your choice or where he coached.

By all accounts, DK has impressed thus far and seems clued in to the App nation. Looking forward to a fresh start with MBB.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:13 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:28 pm
I’ll be happy if i never see the ever so average Bobby Lutz mentioned on this board again.
Thank you for that post! Dustin Kerns has been hired, get behind him and the program and stop talking about Grady Davis 2.0 from UNC Charlotte.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”