Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:20 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:05 am
Perhaps we don't get what we want, but get what we need. Hoping that is the case.Looking at Kerns, I'm intrigued.
I became convinced after a little research. I am extremely pleased with the hired and once again excited about the future of our App State basketball programs !

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:16 pm

Congrats Coach, and welcome to Boone.

There is quite the endorsement from Matt McNahon on Twitter. Check it out if you haven’t. The more I learn about this guy, the more I like. Time to get excited about basketball again!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:54 pm

Wait. We’re getting a basketball team? :lol:
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:03 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:16 pm
Congrats Coach, and welcome to Boone.

There is quite the endorsement from Matt McNahon on Twitter. Check it out if you haven’t. The more I learn about this guy, the more I like. Time to get excited about basketball again!
Jay Williams as well.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:11 am

It’s interesting that everybody on this site thinks DG has made excellent choices. Neither of his new hires has played one game yet. It’s not that I’m doubting his ability but shouldn’t we wait and see how it works out?

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:26 am

yikas1 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:11 am
It’s interesting that everybody on this site thinks DG has made excellent choices. Neither of his new hires has played one game yet. It’s not that I’m doubting his ability but shouldn’t we wait and see how it works out?
We always have to see how things work out, but nothing wrong with a little optimism in the meantime. DG has been successful in just about all areas, so why not give him and his new coaches the benefit of the doubt. Both new coaches are undefeated at this point.
thZN4J2HWK.jpg
thZN4J2HWK.jpg (3.35 KiB) Viewed 5433 times
Looks half full to me. :D

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:03 am

DG ain’t Cobb or Laney.... That’s why we give him credit already

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:16 am

Looks like a great hire once again by DG!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:35 am

yikas1 wrote:
I haven’t seen anyone saying cart blanche that these are excellent hires. Are some of us more optimistic than others, certainly. IMO i don’t know how you can’t be optimistic on paper about both the football and basketball hire, maybe you can be a little queasy that Drink hasn’t be a HC before. DG has a pretty good track record of making hires at App so far as well, that can’t be discounted. When (if) it’s time to say the hires failed, you can believe we will be saying it. Now is not the time though.

MountaineerDave86

Unread post by MountaineerDave86 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:40 am

The season opener may be a stretch, but I'll make sure to get the family up the mountain for a few games!

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:44 am

As I posted on the SBC CSN site:
I like the hire, is it the big splash hire some would like - No. I don't believe we are in the position to make the big splash hire. But, I think Kerns is the right fit. We can win with the right hire which has been proven, however, we have also shown that we're not a school that just rolls the ball on the court and wins fall in our lap. It takes the right fit.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

shortfatoldapp

Unread post by shortfatoldapp » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:56 am

Some of you that have been around as long as I have should know better than to group Cobb in with Laney! If you were around during the DARK AGES of Laney you would realize that Cobb did a fantastic job moving us from the middle ages into a new world. Many of the problems we face today have, quite frankly, been around since my time in the late 60's and early 70's (basketball, facilities) Looks like DG has stepped the AD position up another notch, which seems to me to be what we should want, always improving!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:13 am

I do think the next few days are the most important to DK's first year fortunes. It is critical to keep the incoming class and avoid any mass defections.

I'm fascinated to see how things flesh out with this hire. I think the potential is there for marked improvements if he doesn't have to start from scratch. Admittedly he wasn't my first choice, but he's our guy now and I'm hopeful he can move us forward.

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:01 am

shortfatoldapp wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:56 am
Some of you that have been around as long as I have should know better than to group Cobb in with Laney! If you were around during the DARK AGES of Laney you would realize that Cobb did a fantastic job moving us from the middle ages into a new world. Many of the problems we face today have, quite frankly, been around since my time in the late 60's and early 70's (basketball, facilities) Looks like DG has stepped the AD position up another notch, which seems to me to be what we should want, always improving!
Cobb did a good job of riding the wave from our three national championships in football and I'll give him credit for major improvements in both facilities and fundraising. Unfortunately, once the wave from the NCs subsided, things seemed to go south for the man. You had the mess with the basketball program, a series of poor to mediocre hires in other sports, and the "retirement" of Jerry Moore. These stumbles in Cobb's latter years overshadowed him getting us up from FCS to FBS. By the time he departed he was as unpopular with some in Boone as his predecessor had been. That shouldn't be the case because overall he was not a poor AD. He just didn't quite live up to his early potential.
Last edited by Arsenal App on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:23 am

I think it's time to Drinkwitz some bottled Kerns
Last edited by NattyBumppo'sRevenge on Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:15 am

shortfatoldapp wrote:
Wasn't Laney here when Borkowsky was Chancellor? I like Borkowsky. He was a nice guy but he didn't give a rat's ass about athletics. He was all about the cultural arts. It was only after he left USF for us that they got the ball rolling with football.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:40 am

shortfatoldapp wrote:
Let me say Jerry Moore moved us from the dark ages....The Cobbster was alongfor the ride.

dman4x

Unread post by dman4x » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:02 pm

yikas1 wrote:
Just to expand on this. This transition was presumably planned by DG for sometime. The Satterfield transition was forced by the coach leaving, this was not. Entering the season he had to have minimum level of achievement to retain Fox for the final year and it was apparent by February that whatever those expectations were, would not be met. The selected coach was not the top choice. At least one other coach was offered the job ,and another guy was openly lobbying for it, while at the same time the current roster and recruits have been wondering what is going on. The fact that the current roster has stayed together says something, probably that there are too many players already in the transfer portal, but maybe something else. This just doesn't feel like a well executed search. That said, I wish the new coach luck, and hopefully some crowd support.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:13 pm

Just watched the presser. I am optimistic. He says all the right things and seems like a good dude. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with our program.
Also, I will say Congrats dude, and welcome to App Mrs. Kerns! Very attractive lady!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:30 pm

dman4x wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:02 pm
yikas1 wrote:
Just to expand on this. This transition was presumably planned by DG for sometime. The Satterfield transition was forced by the coach leaving, this was not. Entering the season he had to have minimum level of achievement to retain Fox for the final year and it was apparent by February that whatever those expectations were, would not be met. The selected coach was not the top choice. At least one other coach was offered the job ,and another guy was openly lobbying for it, while at the same time the current roster and recruits have been wondering what is going on. The fact that the current roster has stayed together says something, probably that there are too many players already in the transfer portal, but maybe something else. This just doesn't feel like a well executed search. That said, I wish the new coach luck, and hopefully some crowd support.
I keep asking folks and never can really get an answer. I’m sure there are things i do not know, but what occurred for this to “not feel like a well executed search”? We got turned down by Mike Jones and moved on, and landed on an up and coming coach by all accounts. Is it not well executed just because it wasn’t Bobby Lutz?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”