Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Re: Fox fired

Unread post by Nugget49 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:06 pm

asu66 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:22 pm
Another factoid is that Lutz is already 65.
Lutz is 61.
yikas1 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:48 pm
Lutz? Maybe he will wear his cheap ultra suede suits.
When he was at Charlotte he had an endorsement deal with Taylor, Richards & Conger, one of the nicest men's stores in Charlotte. Perhaps this is not an area of expertise for you?

I actually think Lutz might now be interested in your job. I believe he has one more stop in him as a HC, and I think being near home is important to him. At heart, Lutz is a teacher and I don't think rebuilding at App would scare him. I will say that he would immediately start bringing in JUCOs to turn things around as quickly as possible--this became his undoing at Charlotte, but it did work for a while.

With Lutz you would be getting the fiercest competitor you have ever seen, he is unlikely to leave if he is successful, and his integrity probably cost him his spot on the bench at NCSU--which he should wear as a badge of honor.

No doubt that I would prefer to see App continue to be at the bottom of the Belt, but I really like Bobby Lutz, and I would be happy for him to lead another program.

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:50 am

Nugget49 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:06 pm
asu66 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:22 pm
Another factoid is that Lutz is already 65.
Lutz is 61.
I don't pretend to be an authority on anyone's age other than my own, close family and friends. It was a reference from a tiny LKN weekly publication that mentioned a conversation with him in which he said that he was about to have a birthday; that home, golf and lake were agreeing with his schedule pretty well; and that he was retired, didn't need to work and had no intention of coaching again. The article got into his feeling that collegiate basketball coaching had become (over time) a young man's game and that he was pretty certain that his name wouldn't come forward from any of the of search firms operating in the southeast. I got the impression that he had an aversion to the search firm trend. D.Gillen used one in our recent football search. Just sayin'...

Could the reporter have misuderstood what he said? Could it have been a keyboard and proofing error? Of course. If he's 61 and signs an NBA deal today, good for him. One thing's for certain. He didn't care much for life in the Chicago 'burbs. ;)
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Putnamrg

Unread post by Putnamrg » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:44 am

Josh Schertz is doing a video interview today. 3 time national coach of the year at Lincoln Memorial (D2).

He was seriously considered at UALR last year and turned down other low D1 opportunities in the past.

RiversRunsThroughIt

Unread post by RiversRunsThroughIt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:26 am

Lutz is a joke ya'll. Come on. We deserve better, but be realistic. This is a bottom half, maybe bottom two, Sun Belt job. That may sting but it's true. Sorry.

Official Unofficial Short List:
1. Bart Lundy
2. Nate James
3. Jason Williford
4. Josh Schertz
5. Erik Martin

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:11 am

We’re bottom of the Belt in performance since we joined the conference, but we’re among the top in facilities and fan support potential (illustrated by leading the league in football attendance every year).

It’s not an easy job, but with the right selection it can be one of the best basketball coaching jobs in the Sun Belt.

RiversRunsThroughIt

Unread post by RiversRunsThroughIt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 am

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:11 am
We’re bottom of the Belt in performance since we joined the conference, but we’re among the top in facilities and fan support potential (illustrated by leading the league in football attendance every year).

It’s not an easy job, but with the right selection it can be one of the best basketball coaching jobs in the Sun Belt.
What leads you to believe we are among the top in facilities? Have you seen what the rest of the league has? I heard Jim say that App, Ark St. GASO, and Monroe are the only schools that do not have attached practice facilities.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:33 am

RiversRunsThroughIt wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:26 am
Lutz is a joke ya'll. Come on. We deserve better, but be realistic. This is a bottom half, maybe bottom two, Sun Belt job. That may sting but it's true. Sorry.

1. Bart Lundy
2. Nate James
3. Jason Williford
4. Josh Schertz
5. Erik Martin
If it is such an undesirable job, why would Nate James leave Duke to come here?

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:39 am

I don’t agree that this is a bad job, just a program on a bad run. Win, or at least be competitive and entertaining, and they will come. Maybe not 10k, but much more than now. Buzz Petersen won here twice not that long ago- it can be done. This fan base loves it Apps, and will watch what’s worth watching. For God’s sake, if Wofford and Gardner Webb are in the tournament, It is not a reach to believe our great AD will hire a great choice, and get us to the top echelon of the Sun Belt.
Believe in our AD, the new coach, our students, and our athletes.

RiversRunsThroughIt

Unread post by RiversRunsThroughIt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 am

The Rock wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:33 am

1. Bart Lundy
2. Nate James
3. Jason Williford
4. Josh Schertz
5. Erik Martin
If it is such an undesirable job, why would Nate James leave Duke to come here?
...to be a head coach.

Unread post by 8993 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:43 am

I might catch some (unwarranted) heat for this, but I would also welcome a solid female coach for our men's basketball team. Coach Elderkin turned the women's team around this season and has some fire in her that I think has energized that team a bit more going into the off-season. I would be interested to see if there are any other female coaches out there that would be willing to take this role.

Also, just to be clear: this is not me saying that a female coach should be considered just for her gender. This is me saying that I want the best coach for App State, regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, age, etc. I want the best for App State and if the best was a female coach for the men's basketball team, then let's go.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:04 am

Gonzo wrote:

We don’t have a practice facility and Holmes is a mixed use facility. How are we among the top in facilities? We’re towards the bottom.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:20 am

Putnamrg wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:44 am
Josh Schertz is doing a video interview today. 3 time national coach of the year at Lincoln Memorial (D2).

He was seriously considered at UALR last year and turned down other low D1 opportunities in the past.
He has an interesting life story , and outlook. I would be very pleased if he were the selection.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:27 am

Putnamrg wrote:

Schertz is intriguing. Would be a step up in competition for sure. But man, those records look good, and I love that its sustained over a long period of time.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:32 am

8993 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:43 am
I might catch some (unwarranted) heat for this, but I would also welcome a solid female coach for our men's basketball team. Coach Elderkin turned the women's team around this season and has some fire in her that I think has energized that team a bit more going into the off-season. I would be interested to see if there are any other female coaches out there that would be willing to take this role.

Also, just to be clear: this is not me saying that a female coach should be considered just for her gender. This is me saying that I want the best coach for App State, regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, age, etc. I want the best for App State and if the best was a female coach for the men's basketball team, then let's go.
This is not meant as heat.

I don't have a problem in theory with a woman as head coach, but right now it would be setting up everyone up for failure. We have low attendance, low confidence in the future and low team chemistry. This is not the time to think out of the box, it is time for someone solid, with some head coaching experience, to come in and do a rebuild of the team and culture. If we had just come off of a winning season and out coach got hired away, then it might be something to look into.

As a side note, I have been around women's teams and practices in the past and the skills to coach one does not always match up with coaching a men's team and vice versa.
Last edited by appgrouch on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:38 am

appstate24 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:27 am
Putnamrg wrote:

Schertz is intriguing. Would be a step up in competition for sure. But man, those records look good, and I love that its sustained over a long period of time.
The issue I would have is recruiting. Except for 1 year at FAU, his time has been spent at D2 and below, so his connections might not be setup for Sunbelt recruiting. This can be offset with assistants but is is still an issue.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:55 am

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 am
Gonzo wrote:

What leads you to believe we are among the top in facilities? Have you seen what the rest of the league has? I heard Jim say that App, Ark St. GASO, and Monroe are the only schools that do not have attached practice facilities.
I haven’t visited any current SBC members gym besides Appalachian, but I have seen most of them on tv when we play them. The Holmes Center is a beautiful facility inside and out. It’s one of the largest in the league as well. While there’s no attached practice facility, it has a sparkly new video board.

I’ve been to several of our old SoCon opponents’ gyms. Th HCC looks like an elite G-5 basketball venue. Maybe it lacks some amenities, but nothing the fans see.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 am

1. Bart Lundy
2. Nate James
3. Jason Williford
4. Josh Schertz
5. Erik Martin
Why is Lutz a joke - because you think he'd be a bad choice, or because you don't think he'd be attainable?

If it's the former, OK, to each his own. If it's the latter, I think you may be overestimating Lutz's other options at this point in his career.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:08 am

I would prefer a D2 Head Coach with a winning record and conference championships over a D1 Assistant Coach making his Head Coach debut.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppMom3

Unread post by AppMom3 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:09 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:57 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:49 pm
Looking back at five years of Fox, going to almost all the home games and being close to this, I have things I want to write.

For a while, I grinned and beared Fox saying "you know, this one time, at Davidson..." We all did. And it was because we wanted this to work. But he never stopped. I understand that is his Camelot, but a lot of those good Davidson memories for him were bad Davidson memories for us App fans.

When he started, Fox said he'll meet the fans after every game at Tapp. First two years, he did with exceptions for early-morning flights, recruiting, other functions, etc. Year four? Not many times. This past season? Not once. Allison and Poole did and that was appreciated.

I've harped on this to the point of annoyance, but the yelling during games didn't seem productive. And it never stopped. I don't even know what some of the assistants' voices sound like. Compare that to Angel's staff and it's night and day. All of Angel's assistants have a role in game management. And when I brought up the yelling to those in the Foxhole, I was told "you should see him in practice."

To me, it didn't seem like the players enjoyed playing the game. Being the drill sergeant can work if the team rallies together ala Herb Brooks, but it seemed like the players had their love of the game beaten out of them.

The 101-100 lost to GaSo? Yes that four-point play was a flop, but App was up 8 with two minutes to go? Next weekend, up the same amount with two minutes to go versus ULM. Both games at home, both losses.

His player personnel decisions were questionable. He wavered on keeping Goesling on scholarship, so he went D2, tore it up and is now a grad transfer on Top 15 Houston. Remember the one year he had 23 players on the roster to start the season? He spent a lot of money recruiting O'Boyle out of an Arizona JuCo and he barely played. Same with Breki from Iceland, although he's was a freshman.

I remember when Fox got here, he worked with Obacha to just be a rebounder and he rarely shot the ball. And it worked perfectly fine. With Issac, he's the best rebounder in the conference, but he would be fed in the post in a back-to-the-basket situation and put up a terrible shot. Why not do with him what he did with Obacha. There's other examples of players not becoming what they could have been, but that would be very long. And Jim hyped these players up big time before they arrived. I put a lot of that on coaching, especially the bad defense.

This season, there was a lot of "I don't know" and "We need to fix that" answers in postgame press conferences. He seemed like a man out of answers.

There's going to be people who say "y'all don't know what it was really like there, Fox never had a chance!" and stuff like that. Hell, Jeff Capel said that about his little brother despite mountains of evidence saying Jason deserved to be let go. But he had his chance. Eight seniors, most returning production in the conference and went from 5th to 10th, plus only two D1 wins out of conference.

The "Fox brought App out of an academic hole" thing is misnomer. Fox deserves credit for bringing in players who can get good grades and graduate. But with the APR ban, the scores are a year behind to ensure accuracy. The scores turned around in Capel's third year, but the first two Capel years were so bad that the APR ban was inevitable. Fox suffered because of that, but he took the job knowing the ban would happen, and also that it was a 99 percent chance the ban would only be one year due to Capel's last two years triggering the APR improvement clause.
The team wasn't far off this season. Many games ended with relatively close scores even if the game was never really within reach. App was a few free throws, turnovers, and better shot selections away from being around .500. While that isn't great it would obviously be improvement. Good programs find a way to keep moving forward and if this seasons close games can turn into wins next season, App could finally be looking respectable in conference play in something other than football.
I agree the team wasn’t far off. Honestly coaching at App can be difficult. You can’t go get all the JUCO players that some other schools in our conference do because of the Academic requirements and that is a good thing. You have to want to be up the mountain in this rural setting so recruiting can be a little difficult but honestly think that the kids coming in the past couple years have been great gets by the coaching team and will be impact players right away. I probably will be unpopular and I don’t care but I believe Coach’s Fox was building program the right way and that takes time which no one wants to hear I get it. For those that said the players didn’t want to play for him. You don’t know what your talking about and yes as previously said by someone I do have skin in the game and do know the team would do anything for each other and the coaches including Coach Fox! You mention yelling, well welcome to College basketball my friend. I guarantee all coaches yelll some may not do it as much on the court but that absolutely get after them at practice and elsewhere. I have seen Coach K get in kids faces and yell scream on the court so not sure what that has to do with anything. I know Coach Fox will land on his feet and be successful. It will be interesting to look at this board in a couple years. I have a feeling we will be in the same place at App. I hope not. I truly want the team to be successful! Just difficult listening to some who really don’t have a clue and know basketball or what is really going on inside the program or really what it takes to coach or build a program be an sideline coach and criticize and attack. Maybe it comes from being around basketball on many levels myself including being a former coaches wife!

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:17 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:08 am
I would prefer a D2 Head Coach with a winning record and conference championships over a D1 Assistant Coach making his Head Coach debut.
I agree. We went the assistant route the last two times. Didn’t work out so well. Right now in our situation, we need a head coach with head coaching experience. This is no time for on the job training.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”