Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Re: Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:33 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:07 am
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:53 am
Thought about Lutz. Charlie Cobb passed over Lutz for Buzz, Buzz left after a year. Cobb made a 2nd mistake of hiring Capel over McMahon. Capel gets fired, Cobb reaches out to Lutz, Lutz rejects Cobb. Cobb hires Fox and leaves for Georgia State. Gillen comes in. Fox gets fired. Lutz may have turned down Cobb, not App necessarily. Perhaps with a real AD, Lutz is open to coming here now. Not sure we want him, but wouldn't hold him turning down Cobb against him.
Lutz's situation is way different now too. When Fox was hired he was associate HC at NC State, not surprised he turned down this job to stay where he was. Now he is unemployed and may have different motivations.
Not advocating for or against him, just pointing out difference between then and now
Probably still milking UNCC at that point, too, and taking a head coaching job for $250k would not have been smart financially.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:53 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:49 am
97APP wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:38 am
ClickClackApp wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:22 am
There's another NC coach in the MEAC that should get attention. Moton gets paid a lot. Jay Joyner has shown to be a heck of a coach, he's young and doesn't get paid like Moton currently. Strike while the iron is hot.
This is why I don't see Moton being a serious candidate. He's being paid $250k and I don't see us offering him much more. He's not going to leave a job at his alma mater where he's built a solid reputation for a rebuild and a similar salary.
I’m really not trying to be the guy grandstanding solely for Moton, but i do know that DG is prepared to go above $250k for salary. That’s not an issue.
I would assume that to be true. We are likely to hire someone who comes with more experience or at least experience that is more varied than what Fox brought. In order to attract a candidate that meets are current needs, we will have to pay more than we have been.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:00 am

If they do go with Lutz (and I’ve heard he wants the job pretty bad), I think he’d have a good shot to be decent to pretty good right away. Good core group of players coming back and a nice freshmen class coming in. The team just needs to play harder and more disciplined which includes rebounding and defense.

Seattleapp

Re: Fox fired

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:34 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:32 am
Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 pm
Can someone please tell me why people are so high on moton? He has decent records in a terrible conference. What am I missing? He’s had a couple great seasons, he has a career .576 winning percentage. I’m not trying to be a jerk I’m just curious
I just think it’s pretty unfair to say “decent records in a terrible conference”. Did you see what NCCU was up to before Moton arrived? It’s not an easy job and he’s been in the NCAA tourney 3 years in a row and won his regular season conference 2 of the last 4 years. Again, i just don’t know who you think we’ll hire with a more qualified resume than Moton. And I’m not saying there aren’t other hires out there, but I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone mentioned on this thread who is better qualified than Moton. Seems most just have an issue with him being at an HBCU.
Yep you got it. The board is inherently racist and doesn't want Moton because he's black. Wow. I was hoping this would be the one place I could escape lazy, convenient, ignorant, race baiting but I guess I was wrong. How is he better qualified than anyone else on the board? The MEAC is historically a very weak conference, thus the 16 seed play in game this year. And he's 18-15 in a weak conference this year. that's not exactly setting the world on fire and while I acknowledged he has had a couple great teams, he's had some very mediocre teams, maybe even this one. You gotta take the good with the bad, but thanks for making it about race.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:36 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:49 am
97APP wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:38 am
ClickClackApp wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:22 am
There's another NC coach in the MEAC that should get attention. Moton gets paid a lot. Jay Joyner has shown to be a heck of a coach, he's young and doesn't get paid like Moton currently. Strike while the iron is hot.
This is why I don't see Moton being a serious candidate. He's being paid $250k and I don't see us offering him much more. He's not going to leave a job at his alma mater where he's built a solid reputation for a rebuild and a similar salary.
I’m really not trying to be the guy grandstanding solely for Moton, but i do know that DG is prepared to go above $250k for salary. That’s not an issue.
You sound completely like a guy who's grandstanding. Which is your prerogative but just be honest about it.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:41 am

Laney passed on Lutz originally , just for historical clarification.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:12 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:29 pm
moonshine wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:10 pm
If Justus were to get the job, that would be 2 guys App will have hired as coaches that I grew up playing youth league b-ball against. The other was Capel. I used to shut Joel down! :lol:
When did you play against Capel? I played against him my senior year when he was an 8th grader playing on the Greensboro Day varsity. Ah the good old days in the NCISAA.
I played against Jason when we were kids (6-10 yrs old) at West Central Community Center in Winston-Salem. That's where I played against Joel Justus (and Joe Burchette) until we were about 14. My brother played on the same team with Jason's brother, Jeff, for a few seasons.

I remember speaking with Capel's dad at HCC when Jeff was coaching VCU back around 2006. Their dad was awesome and even though I thought McMahon should've been our coach, I was hoping Jason would succeed here as bball runs deep in the Capel family.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:15 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:34 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
Can someone please tell me why people are so high on moton? He has decent records in a terrible conference. What am I missing? He’s had a couple great seasons, he has a career .576 winning percentage. I’m not trying to be a jerk I’m just curious
I just think it’s pretty unfair to say “decent records in a terrible conference”. Did you see what NCCU was up to before Moton arrived? It’s not an easy job and he’s been in the NCAA tourney 3 years in a row and won his regular season conference 2 of the last 4 years. Again, i just don’t know who you think we’ll hire with a more qualified resume than Moton. And I’m not saying there aren’t other hires out there, but I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone mentioned on this thread who is better qualified than Moton. Seems most just have an issue with him being at an HBCU.
Yep you got it. The board is inherently racist and doesn't want Moton because he's black. Wow. I was hoping this would be the one place I could escape lazy, convenient, ignorant, race baiting but I guess I was wrong. How is he better qualified than anyone else on the board? The MEAC is historically a very weak conference, thus the 16 seed play in game this year. And he's 18-15 in a weak conference this year. that's not exactly setting the world on fire and while I acknowledged he has had a couple great teams, he's had some very mediocre teams, maybe even this one. You gotta take the good with the bad, but thanks for making it about race.
Me simply saying people seem to have a problem with him being at an HBCU has zero to do with race bud. You literally laid out the reasons why people would be worried about him being at HBCU. Has anyone else mentioned here stacked 3 tourney appearances? And 4 total? That’s my reasoning for saying he’s better qualified than most. I’d kinda like to see my school in the tourney, no? You’re getting angry and telling on yourself Mr. Seattle. Not a good look.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:15 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:34 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
Me simply saying people seem to have a problem with him being at an HBCU has zero to do with race bud. You literally laid out the reasons why people would be worried about him being at HBCU. Has anyone else mentioned here stacked 3 tourney appearances? And 4 total? That’s my reasoning for saying he’s better qualified than most. I’d kinda like to see my school in the tourney, no? You’re getting angry and telling on yourself Mr. Seattle. Not a good look.
I'm with Yosef10. HBCUs are perennial underrated in athletics as well as academics. You can get into the racial politics of it all, but at the end of the day, is the MEAC a demonstrably worse conference than the Sun Belt when it comes to basketball? I don't think so. And, as stated, Moton has only had one losing record in his tenure as NC Central coach. I don't think he'd want to leave, but I'd be totally on board with his hiring.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:33 pm

I am not anti-Moton. I think he is a very good coach but the MEAC is rated as the worst conference in D1.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... ng-by-conf

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:46 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:52 pm
Definitely NOT a fan of Buzz Peterson because of where he played in college and the fact that he screwed us over. I will say, however, that we had some of our best years under him. Wonder how much more our program could have grown if he had stayed around for 5 - 10 years. Hopefully we can land a new HC that has equal or better abilities. As far as him ever coaching here again, that would be a huge NO! He would not come back to Boone anyway so that is a moot point.
So many inaccurate reports, he did not "screw" us over. Charlie Cobb made many a gentlemens agreement about many items and backed out on most all of it, so when UNCW made a late night push and doubled salary....he decided to leave.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:01 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:30 pm

I'm with Yosef10. HBCUs are perennial underrated in athletics as well as academics. You can get into the racial politics of it all, but at the end of the day, is the MEAC a demonstrably worse conference than the Sun Belt when it comes to basketball? I don't think so. And, as stated, Moton has only had one losing record in his tenure as NC Central coach. I don't think he'd want to leave, but I'd be totally on board with his hiring.
The MEAC is absolutely well below the Sun Belt in basketball. There's a reason their champion gets a 16 seed virtually every year and is usually in the play-in round.

Coaches move up to stronger leagues all the time, though, so that's not necessarily a big deal.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:13 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:57 am
Let's go after Norman Dale. He was able to get Jimmy Chitwood to rejoin the team and was pretty successful. :D
Nah, he had that thing back in the day at Utica!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:18 pm

Didn't Fox beat Moton this year...

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:33 pm
I am not anti-Moton. I think he is a very good coach but the MEAC is rated as the worst conference in D1.

Sports quiz time. App State MBB won only two games against Division I competition between the 2018-19 season opener on November 1, 2018 and January 26, 2019 when the good guys won on the road at UA-Little Rock. What two teams were represented in those first two Division I wins and what conference or conferences were represented?
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:31 pm

asu66 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm
hapapp wrote:

Sports quiz time. App State MBB won only two games against Division I competition between the 2018-19 season opener on November 1, 2018 and January 26, 2019 when the good guys won on the road at UA-Little Rock. What two teams were represented in those first two Division I wins and what conference or conferences were represented?
I refuse to answer due to the risk of being labeled a racist.
WE ARE YOSEF!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:41 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:31 pm
asu66 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm
hapapp wrote:

I refuse to answer due to the risk of being labeled a racist.
Understood! We do seem to have a very small number of forum members who seem to feel entitled to pin labels on fellow Mountaineers that they have never met and know nothing about. :?

lillycafe

Unread post by lillycafe » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:53 pm

appgrad2010 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:46 pm
appfanjj wrote:
Definitely NOT a fan of Buzz Peterson because of where he played in college and the fact that he screwed us over. I will say, however, that we had some of our best years under him. Wonder how much more our program could have grown if he had stayed around for 5 - 10 years. Hopefully we can land a new HC that has equal or better abilities. As far as him ever coaching here again, that would be a huge NO! He would not come back to Boone anyway so that is a moot point.
So many inaccurate reports, he did not "screw" us over. Charlie Cobb made many a gentlemens agreement about many items and backed out on most all of it, so when UNCW made a late night push and doubled salary....he decided to leave.
I'll go with "he screwed us over"!!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:56 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:18 pm
Didn't Fox beat Moton this year...
I mean, it was a 5 point game with under 10 to play and they have what, 1/5 of the resources we do? But i guess your point is taken.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:36 pm

appgrad2010 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:46 pm
appfanjj wrote:
I'm also in the "screwed us over camp." I suspect I know Buzz and Jan better than you and have known them for considerably longer. For a fact, Buzz had Appalachian, App fans and his basketball team dead-last on his priority list. He met with Cobb late Saturday afternoon and everything coming from Buzz was peaches and cream. At some point after the meeting and with no interest in meeting with his team, Buzz packed his few belongings (remember, he was for all practical purposes living at home in Pineville/Waxhaw and commuting between home and campus) and drove straight through to Wilmington where Jan was already waiting for him. He called back to campus in the wee hours of Sunday morning and left a brief "I'm outta here resignation message" in Cobb's v-mail along with info about where his keys could be found. It was real nice of him to let someone know. #@%&!

The Peterson's were and are all about $$$$$$ and lots of it. That just about covers the subject.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”