Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:44 am

In 2014 I thought Lutz would have been a good fit. He wasn’t interested. That was 5 years ago. No one has expressed interest in him as a head coach in those 5 years. I think the game has passed him by as a head coach. In his comments on WFNZ I sensed desperation. I’m thrilled DG stuck to his guns and stiff armed the pressure from boosters. The last time they got a vote we got Capel.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:56 am

hapapp wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:50 pm
Bobby Lutz has taken teams to the NCAA 5 times, which is more times than App has been to the post season collectively. That includes the NCA, NIT, and CBI. He went to the NIT 3 times as well. We could be so lucky to have been that average.

I'm perfectly content with our choice and he very well could be exactly what we need. But, don't put down someone's career because he wasnt your choice or where he coached.

By all accounts, DK has impressed thus far and seems clued in to the App nation. Looking forward to a fresh start with MBB.
Didn’t put the man down, he’s objectively average. You can’t cherry pick his career. His last few years at UNCC were dismal and hasn’t been the head man since. Average can get you far in this world though.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:39 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:56 am
hapapp wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:50 pm
Bobby Lutz has taken teams to the NCAA 5 times, which is more times than App has been to the post season collectively. That includes the NCA, NIT, and CBI. He went to the NIT 3 times as well. We could be so lucky to have been that average.

I'm perfectly content with our choice and he very well could be exactly what we need. But, don't put down someone's career because he wasnt your choice or where he coached.

By all accounts, DK has impressed thus far and seems clued in to the App nation. Looking forward to a fresh start with MBB.
Didn’t put the man down, he’s objectively average. You can’t cherry pick his career. His last few years at UNCC were dismal and hasn’t been the head man since. Average can get you far in this world though.
19 and 20 wins dismal? Granted he sandwched an 11 win season between those in his final years. Granted, he no longer had UNCC where they had been and thus they parted ways. He should be judged on his career not his last year or two.

I make no argument that he should be our coach but I think it wrong to suggest he wasn't a worthy candidate and couldn't get us where we need to go.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:38 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:44 am
In 2014 I thought Lutz would have been a good fit. He wasn’t interested. That was 5 years ago. No one has expressed interest in him as a head coach in those 5 years. I think the game has passed him by as a head coach. In his comments on WFNZ I sensed desperation. I’m thrilled DG stuck to his guns and stiff armed the pressure from boosters. The last time they got a vote we got Capel.
Exactly. Nothing against Lutz personally or his abilities in his prime. Obviously it’s difficult to succeed in athletics at UNC Charlotte. Kudos to him for having so much success there.

It wasn’t a good fit for us. We needed something better and different. We owe nothing to Lutz or the condescending UNCC fan who talked down his nose about our coaching decision in this thread.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:13 am

Gonzo wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:38 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:44 am
Exactly. Nothing against Lutz personally or his abilities in his prime. Obviously it’s difficult to succeed in athletics at UNC Charlotte. Kudos to him for having so much success there.

It wasn’t a good fit for us. We needed something better and different. We owe nothing to Lutz or the condescending UNCC fan who talked down his nose about our coaching decision in this thread.
I agree. 6 years ago or whenever Peterson left for the 2nd time, Lutz made sense to consider.

This time around it really didn't make sense for us in my opinion.

As an aside, can you imagine the sheer amount of delusion it takes to act so condescendingly to another fanbase when you have multiple recent seasons of 300+ RPI basketball and maybe the worst FBS program in the country?

I drink the App kool-aid as much as anybody, but hell I hope I never get to that point.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:00 pm

It's a 36 page thread so I may have missed the condescending UNCC fan but what was posted by a 49er fan in the last several pages was in no way condescending.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:27 pm

hapapp wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:00 pm
It's a 36 page thread so I may have missed the condescending UNCC fan but what was posted by a 49er fan in the last several pages was in no way condescending.
I agree, Hapapp. Nothing to get upset about in what Nugget was saying. Even before his clarification I had no problem with it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”