Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

asumike83
School: Appalachian State

Re: 818

Unread post by asumike83 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:19 pm

cbarrier90 wrote:I'm curious. How many people who post in these threads actually attend games?
I watch all the games but don't get to see as many live as I'd like to, typically about 5 per season.

ASU2416

Unread post by ASU2416 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Marketing does need to improve for basketball. Everyone on campus knows when there is a football game at home. It's seen everywhere on campus at least one week prior and everyone knows about it. There is an e-mail sent out almost every day mentioning it in some way.

What does basketball get? A single e-mail on the day of the game, at 4:30, which was one hour before tip with the headline "Double Header TONIGHT." A whole one hour before the double header got underway. That goes to show you some of the marketing effort for basketball. I am a student and have been to every home game except vs. Milligan because I was having a family dinner at home, and well, I felt I wouldn't miss much.

Students are somewhat apathetic, and they tell me "you're wasting your time," or "they suck so why even bother?" It doesn't phase me to go alone, which is the case most of the time. The attendance last night is awful for a team that is in good position for a first round bye for the conference tournament.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:28 pm

asumike83 wrote:
GlassOnion wrote:I agree. Its a cycle that must be broken at some point in the circle. If we could get 5,000 people to show up regularly, by advertising, I'd be all goes on the plan, but its not going to happen. The only thing I can think of is sinking a high $ amount on a really good staff. I think we have a better chance of enticing a good coach in to build a program than we do by "gameday atmosphering" our way out of the problem. When we've made a big move on the program, then is a time for a massive local push. If we're serious about succeeding in Bball, its going to take serious investment and bold moves. The locals and students have seen all the gimmicks before, and we surely dont want to be the Ga State of basketball, dropping some BS "vouchers" from the rafters at halftime.
Ha, very true. I was thinking more along the lines of partnering with all the bars right there across the street from the HCC. Get them to run some sort of promotion, using the game ticket as a voucher in hopes of getting a pregame/postgame party scene as a sort of tailgating for basketball. Who knows if it would do any good but that's one thing that came to mind.

We did a great job of increasing our football attendance by enhancing the gameday experience, although we already had a quality product in place. At some point, we are going to have to pony up the cash for an experienced staff, especially if an FBS move is in the works. If we were in the Sun Belt this season for example, we'd probably be looking at 1-4 wins in conference play.
While something like that might work attendance-wise, I cant imagine App teaming up with those bars across the street, ESPECIALLY when that kid just drowned in Kraut Creek leaving them. Students love parties, but mostly parties with booze.

IMO, if our BBall program was even at the Fancher level, we'd be in a much much better position with an FBS invite. App Bball is a liability. I shiver at the current play, thinking of playing in the SB, whewee... my palms start to sweat.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:34 pm

Imageput a good team on the court and have a good team come play us at home people show up

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:46 pm

3rd wrote:Imageput a good team on the court and have a good team come play us at home people show up
Not the best example. That was 2009 vs. Davidson, the year after they went to the Elite 8 and Steph Curry was a fixture on ESPN. We lost that game by 18 points and went 13-18 overall. He was a once in a generation SoCon player that drew a crowd everywhere he went.

Unfortunately, we need to do more than just win, although that is where it starts. We have to schedule better in the non-conference and ramp up the marketing. We won 24 games in 2010 and still averaged just over 2,000 per home game.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:48 pm

asumike83 wrote:
3rd wrote:Imageput a good team on the court and have a good team come play us at home people show up
Not the best example. That was 2009 vs. Davidson, the year after they went to the Elite 8 and Steph Curry was a fixture on ESPN. We lost that game by 18 points and went 13-18 overall. He was a once in a generation SoCon player that drew a crowd everywhere he went.

Unfortunately, we need to do more than just win, although that is where it starts. We have to schedule better in the non-conference and ramp up the marketing. We won 24 games in 2010 and still averaged just over 2,000 per home game.
i get what your saying but if i remember correctly their were a few games where we shut down steph curry the years before and also put very decent teams on the court...and that team that went 13-18, to be honestly they would be top of the socon this year

cbarrier90

Unread post by cbarrier90 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:59 pm

3rd wrote:
asumike83 wrote:

i get what your saying but if i remember correctly their were a few games where we shut down steph curry the years before and also put very decent teams on the court...and that team that went 13-18, to be honestly they would be top of the socon this year
I don't think you understand just how good Davidson is this year...

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:02 pm

cbarrier90 wrote:
3rd wrote:
asumike83 wrote:

I don't think you understand just how good Davidson is this year...
as bad as davidson beat us and yes they are a great team in the socon i dont think this is a team that is close to the level that they have been. One of our biggest weaknesses on the team is defense if you wanted the davidson vs. App games did you see how many open looks they had and finished. the reason GSU beat them like a drum is bc GSU's team is very athletic and can switch almost anyone on a screen and create no mismatches
Last edited by 3rd on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Hey mods can we merge the two lose basketball add hockey thread started within a day of each other please. Thank You
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:09 pm

proudofyosef wrote:17,000 students on campus and a conference game vs. Furman draws 818 people! Good gracious, Mars Hill does better than this. The student body is completely apathetic to basketball and this is not going to change. If App was 16-8 instead of 11-13, does anyone really think it would make that much of a difference? If you want to attract students to games--and that's the key in all of this--you have to have an exciting product that's different. Hockey on campus would be a happening, something students would actually look forward to attending.
Was a second thread proposing this necessary? Are you going to start a thread about dropping men's basketball for hockey after each home game? It makes zero financial sense to dump basketball for hockey. Come up with a more reasonable suggestion.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:12 pm

appgrouch wrote:
proudofyosef wrote:17,000 students on campus and a conference game vs. Furman draws 818 people! Good gracious, Mars Hill does better than this. The student body is completely apathetic to basketball and this is not going to change. If App was 16-8 instead of 11-13, does anyone really think it would make that much of a difference? If you want to attract students to games--and that's the key in all of this--you have to have an exciting product that's different. Hockey on campus would be a happening, something students would actually look forward to attending.

If you are willing to defund any other projects, cancel at least one other mens sport and delay the move to FBS, then you can make your points. If not stop being a hockey nutt and give us something constructive.
He posted earlier that he would only do that if he was commissioned by the university. Otherwise, he will apparently continue to making thread after thread about dropping men's basketball for hockey. :shock:
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:14 pm

ASU2416 wrote:Marketing does need to improve for basketball. Everyone on campus knows when there is a football game at home. It's seen everywhere on campus at least one week prior and everyone knows about it. There is an e-mail sent out almost every day mentioning it in some way.

What does basketball get? A single e-mail on the day of the game, at 4:30, which was one hour before tip with the headline "Double Header TONIGHT." A whole one hour before the double header got underway. That goes to show you some of the marketing effort for basketball. I am a student and have been to every home game except vs. Milligan because I was having a family dinner at home, and well, I felt I wouldn't miss much.

Students are somewhat apathetic, and they tell me "you're wasting your time," or "they suck so why even bother?" It doesn't phase me to go alone, which is the case most of the time. The attendance last night is awful for a team that is in good position for a first round bye for the conference tournament.
Even some of the football players tweet the same sentiment.

proudofyosef

Unread post by proudofyosef » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:15 pm

T-Dog wrote:Why the hell do you care, you wanted to drop the program two days ago.
I was playing devil's advocate, but you have convinced me to stick with my original point, T-Dog. It's time to say goodbye to an era that gave us such innovative coaches as Tom Apke, Houston Fancher and Jason Capel. The students don't care, the administration doesn't care, the athletic department doesn't care. The only people who care about basketball at App are a few middle-aged men on this board who shudder at the thought of trying something new. They probably still own typewriters.
Good luck winning the attendance battle next year with Lees-McRae and Mars Hill.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:23 pm

proudofyosef wrote:
T-Dog wrote:Why the hell do you care, you wanted to drop the program two days ago.
I was playing devil's advocate, but you have convinced me to stick with my original point, T-Dog. It's time to say goodbye to an era that gave us such innovative coaches as Tom Apke, Houston Fancher and Jason Capel. The students don't care, the administration doesn't care, the athletic department doesn't care. The only people who care about basketball at App are a few middle-aged men on this board who shudder at the thought of trying something new. They probably still own typewriters.
Good luck winning the attendance battle next year with Lees-McRae and Mars Hill.
Houston and his staff spent time in the community trying to get butts in seats. More than could be said for any marketing effort not led by someone named Mark.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:34 pm

proudofyosef wrote:The only people who care about basketball at App are a few middle-aged men on this board who shudder at the thought of trying something new. They probably still own typewriters.
I'm a shade under 24, I vote socially progressive, I'm typing this on a 27" Mac and I care about App basketball.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:36 pm

proudofyosef wrote:
:lol:

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:48 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:I have attended many men's Basketball games. I would never go to a hockey match. Never been to and NHL match. Its a Canadian/European sport not and American one. How many times have we won gold in Olympic Ice Hockey since the Miracle? Travel/Equipment expenses would go way up and its more schollys. NOOOOOOOOO HOCKEY. Look back to 2006-2007 we were doing a pretty good job putting butts in the seats. This isn't a long term issue. Just need to win. Getting a better home schedule (new conference) would also help.
I'm definitely not for adding hockey at the expense of basketball, but I'm not against adding it. It is more Canadian/European that is for sure, but the premier hockey league is here in the States, not some far off land. I hated hockey 5 years ago. After attending a few NHL games, I love it and I'm a big fan (though nowhere as big as football). I think it would be great for App to get some ice and do it but I wouldn't want it done halfheartedly. Either we're all in or we're all out. The worst thing we can do is be halfway in (see Men's basketball for an example).

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:15 pm

proudofyosef wrote:
Yes let's go away from a sport that every Division I university in America has and that every full-member conference requires to have for a sport that only 56 out of 347 DI universities have and spend a fortune more on recruiting and travel for 25 players plus coaches and trainers to every game they play. Sound idea there. I love hockey, but it's not practical right now, and not worth discontinuing men's basketbal for.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:25 pm

cbarrier90 wrote:What I've learned from the every other athletic program here: Boy, do we take those crowds at KBS for granted...

I'm curious. How many people who post in these threads actually attend games?
I don't go to the games.

I also don't complain about the attendance.

When does football start??

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:26 pm

The only thing worse than a new thread every day about whether or not ASU will move to FBS, would be a new thread every day about how much ASU needs to add hockey as a sport.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”