Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

BB Burgers Pizza 2020 edition

9Steelman

BB Burgers Pizza 2020 edition

Unread post by 9Steelman » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:38 pm

For the third year we are looking for about 24 - $100 donors to provide free food for students to a couple of men's and a couple of women's BB games in January/February. Please send your checks to Spencer Bridges or give to an athletic dept staff. Payable to: ASU Athletics BB Fund, 425 Jack Branch Dr., Boone NC 28608. David Steelman and Ken Davis are in so we only need 22 more. Please help you die hard App basketball supporters. THANKS Lets start the count down. (If we happen to go over 24 donors we will just do more games)

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Re: BB Burgers Pizza 2020 edition

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:56 am

Count Chuck Parker in. Only 21 to go.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:58 am

I see we continue to ignore my thoughts on the other thread about this when it comes to spending money to make money. Enjoy tossing money into the student section with zero return. Marketing budget will never grow for the sport if they don't sell more tickets to it.

Enjoy dealing with Bridges. I'm past done with that option.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:15 pm

I think this will be the last year to bribe students with free food. Program on the move up, they will want to come. Anyway we are going to proceed on with our third year. As of last night we have about 10 commitments of $100 each, I'm sure more to come. Last night the students so up and loud, great game, we are going in the right direction!!!

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:51 pm

9Steelman wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:15 pm
I think this will be the last year to bribe students with free food. Program on the move up, they will want to come. Anyway we are going to proceed on with our third year. As of last night we have about 10 commitments of $100 each, I'm sure more to come. Last night the students so up and loud, great game, we are going in the right direction!!!
Holler this way when the athletics department is interested in selling tickets to the game so we can have an influx of paying customers.

Team is going in a great direction. I'm stoked about the energy and production that Kerns has brought. Big first game of the year provided a huge boost for the students for the first few games. Really changing the culture of the Men's side of things from what I can tell. Holmes production crew has done a great job with the pregame additions over the past couple of years. Very happy to see the team getting better. Winning brings fans. But I'll continue to stand on my box and say that we need to market towards paying fans...until that day though...

As far as students go, I'd be more willing to get behind paying Kerns $100 each time he goes to the student section after the game or gets out on campus during the week. That's what brings the kids back. That connection. The feeling that you're boys with the coach or the players. What's really cool is that those interactions are actually free. The free t-shirt may get them there this time, but that interaction and pseudo-relationship is what brings them back.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:12 pm

Draw the students in now and they'll become paying customers.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:36 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:12 pm
Draw the students in now and they'll become paying customers.
For a portion of individuals, this is true. And I'm behind this reasoning. At least someone gave an actual reason of why to attract free vs. paying. Thank you.

Keep in mind how many of these students move out of the Boone area directly following college. And also keep in mind the amount of money they'll be making right out of college (not much for a majority). Engaged App supporters are the low hanging fruit when it comes to making money. IMO. But hey if we want to spend this year's seemingly low marketing budget (assumption since they can't seem to come up with 2400 on their own) on consumers that are hopefully creating a return on dollars in the next 1-5 years (assuming they begin buying as soon as they graduate), then that's the athletics departments decision.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to get students to the game. But as I stated earlier, what Kerns is doing to interact with the students will get them to the game. The winning of games is a catalyst as well. Spend money to make money. None of us became successful business people by spending money on things that are guaranteed to not make us any money this year. It's just not a smart business decision in my head. Sell tickets. Advertise. Promote. And for the love of all things App, sell more tickets and make some money.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:48 pm

Even something like team selling "flex" packages of 3/5/7 games would be a no brainer.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:07 am

agentpaul001 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:48 pm
Even something like team selling "flex" packages of 3/5/7 games would be a no brainer.
Absolutely. They tried that last year though. Extremely poor execution. I think they packed all the terrible Thursday night games together or something like that. Probably the least attractive ticket pack I've ever seen in my life. I'm not sure if that was the decision of marketing or ticketing (and I'm sure they each blame the other).

ETSU and UNCG seem to keep a good crowd. As well as a majority of the SoCon and A10 (VCU, Dayton, Richmond, etc.) What if we got some people on staff from these conferences to lead the charge on basketball? They'll be the ones who know how to work with mid-major level programs like ours that has a seemingly low budget. This is very different from a football program that markets itself.

Just thinking out loud here.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:33 am

Just win baby.The rest will take care of itself.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:08 am

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:33 am
Just win baby.The rest will take care of itself.
This is huge as well. One of the reasons I'm very excited about Kerns, especially from what I've seen thus far.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:20 pm

We have about 15 donors so far, need about 10 more. Last night at S Ala was the most complete game we have played on the road in years. GO APP Basketball!!!!!!!

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:08 am

9Steelman wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:20 pm
We have about 15 donors so far, need about 10 more. Last night at S Ala was the most complete game we have played on the road in years. GO APP Basketball!!!!!!!
We are playing the best ball we have played in years (home and away!). Very exciting time to be an App State Basketball fan. What's really cool is we are winning!

Let's run promotions that promote winning instead of chicken nuggets!

You can't tell me that 1500 isn't enough money to get started on a targeted digital marketing scheme in our area. Creating revenue generating ticket packages can cost very little up front as well if you do it right. Promote App State Basketball and a new winning culture instead of chicken nuggets.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:55 am

BooneKarate wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:08 am
9Steelman wrote:
We are playing the best ball we have played in years (home and away!). Very exciting time to be an App State Basketball fan. What's really cool is we are winning!

You can't tell me that 1500 isn't enough money to get started on a targeted digital marketing scheme in our area. Creating revenue generating ticket packages can cost very little up front as well if you do it right. Promote App State Basketball and a new winning culture instead of chicken nuggets.
For those of us who pay no attention to basketball, give us a quick update.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:19 am

I emailed Spencer Bridges today to get a donor update. Hope we get enough to do 2 men's and 2 women's games. If we get $2,500 probably can do 3 games each. Hope to see some of you Sunday at NC State 4 pm!!!

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:32 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:55 am
BooneKarate wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:08 am
9Steelman wrote:

For those of us who pay no attention to basketball, give us a quick update.
Opening at Michigan and only losing by 8 should be eye opening to anyone. The win over Charlotte was more impressive than most think (Charlotte had just beaten Wake). I would've loved a win over ETSU, but let's be honest, they're a top 5 mid-major team in the nation. Opening 2-0 on the road to start conference (I can't recall doing that since our socon days). NC State was respectable. Would've loved a win, but last year we would've been happy to be within 20.

Most of all, the guys don't look like they hate their life out there on the court.

Sorry for the delay - had a little holiday trip of my own without internet service.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:27 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:58 am
I see we continue to ignore my thoughts on the other thread about this when it comes to spending money to make money. Enjoy tossing money into the student section with zero return. Marketing budget will never grow for the sport if they don't sell more tickets to it.

C'mon man, how 'bout layin' off of App volunteers. They don't make athletic department marketing policy decisions. They're just successful App grads who are giving back to the university they love though volunteer time, talent and funding. Be thankful for them caring enough to get involved and stay involved. Show some respect.

Take your soapbox speeches and marketing strategies to campus *in-person* and talk with the people who actually make marketing decisions. Make an appointment and go; but go in peace--not with that chip showing.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:38 pm

asu66 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:27 pm
BooneKarate wrote:

C'mon man, how 'bout layin' off of App volunteers. They don't make athletic department marketing policy decisions. They're just successful App grads who are giving back to the university they love though volunteer time, talent and funding. Be thankful for them caring enough to get involved and stay involved. Show some respect.

Take your soapbox speeches and marketing strategies to campus *in-person* and talk with the people who actually make marketing decisions. Make an appointment and go; but go in peace--not with that chip showing.
I respect this. And maybe I have been a little tougher on it than most. But part of that reasoning is because I too have given a lot of time, energy, and monetary commitment to App State Athletics and I have been to the offices in-person and had face to face discussions with Spencer Bridges directly (gotta love that Kentucky mug on his desk though right? Haven't spoken a word to him since noticing it and him telling me about UK).

If this is the place we are all here to rally behind each other and truly support App State, I'm here for it. Let's rally! But let's rally strategically. When we donate to specific causes (like free food for students at games) then it is a donor directed gift. So we control it. So through this, we are making decisions for the marketing department by telling them where we want our money to go. I'm 100% more interested in an investment (giving money now that will directly generate dollars moving forward), than a 1-time incremental donation that doesn't directly create any future financial help. Sell more tickets, make more money. Make more money, increase Basketball Ops and Marketing budget simultaneously. Team gets better, more tickets get sold. Year over year.

And yes, as they continuously increase the marketing budget, they can start to carve out some dollars to get some chicken nuggets for the students, but we also may not have to if the team is winning and the games are selling tickets.

If you want my full and true opinion of Bridges, I'll give it to you. But I'll save it unless you ask.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:02 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:38 pm
asu66 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:27 pm
BooneKarate wrote:

I respect this. And maybe I have been a little tougher on it than most. But part of that reasoning is because I too have given a lot of time, energy, and monetary commitment to App State Athletics and I have been to the offices in-person and had face to face discussions with Spencer Bridges directly (gotta love that Kentucky mug on his desk though right? Haven't spoken a word to him since noticing it and him telling me about UK).

If this is the place we are all here to rally behind each other and truly support App State, I'm here for it. Let's rally! But let's rally strategically. When we donate to specific causes (like free food for students at games) then it is a donor directed gift. So we control it. So through this, we are making decisions for the marketing department by telling them where we want our money to go. I'm 100% more interested in an investment (giving money now that will directly generate dollars moving forward), than a 1-time incremental donation that doesn't directly create any future financial help. Sell more tickets, make more money. Make more money, increase Basketball Ops and Marketing budget simultaneously. Team gets better, more tickets get sold. Year over year.

And yes, as they continuously increase the marketing budget, they can start to carve out some dollars to get some chicken nuggets for the students, but we also may not have to if the team is winning and the games are selling tickets.

If you want my full and true opinion of Bridges, I'll give it to you. But I'll save it unless you ask.
My concern is always for what's best for App! Bridges isn't a volunteer. He's a hired gun and he can defend himself. I hope he has great success with our fundraising. He's been successful elsewhere. I get your point that he has yet to buy in to being all-in as an App State Mountaineer. May that UK cup disappear into his desk drawer and be replaced by one with a block A!

My antenna was picking up criticism of App grads who volunteer w/o expecting/receiving anything in return except feeling intensely proud of their/our Alma Mater. Let's just hold them harmless when they step up to help in a selfless way. That was my primary point.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:57 pm

I think we still have Marketing as a major at Appstate. Maybe instead of a pretend marketing project, we give the grad students a real project with a real budget. Just curious would any of you be willing to give $100.00 to a grad student marketing budget.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”