Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Georgia State

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Georgia State

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:27 pm

It certainly helped when their best scorer fouled out with a lot of time left in the game.

I love the effort but geez we can't hit the broad side of a barn. We just don't have anyone who can consistently shoot the ball. Forrest is a scorer but he's not a consistent shooter from distance. As a team we shoot under 30% from three and we only shoot the free ones at 61%.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:36 pm

20+ turnovers and 12+missed FTs. And we’re still within striking distance at the end with one of our better players on the bench.
As ugly as this game was, the fact we were that close despite trying our best to lose is equally impressive and frustrating

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:43 pm

I said this last year, and considering what we have roster wise it can still apply. How does Fox spend over a decade at Davidson, a school known for shooters, yet couldn't recruit good shooters to Boone?
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

asu66

Re: Georgia

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:44 pm

Coach Kerns said on the post-game show that there is a chance that Isaac can get back on the court on Sat. He said IJ did the walk-through and the shoot-around today and the decision to hold him out tonight was made shortly before tip-off.

Even if he he gets the nod to play on Sat, we need to temper our expectations. Isaac sustained one more *nasty* fall in Raleigh.

If he gets green-lighted for Sat. his minutes will probably be limited. The soreness will likely affect his play and another fall or rough tussle over a rebound could exacerbate his injury.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:52 pm

I feel better about things after the game than I did before the game.

We finds ways to compete. We just need a couple of horses.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:36 am

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:52 pm

This team competes and that can keep them in most games. In order to beat the best of the Belt we have to do more than that. It's hard to win when you can't shoot and that inability reared its ugly head last night. We didn't have to be spectacular just approaching average would have done it. If we hit half the missed layups we win.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:59 am

Post game comments from Coach Kerns, I'm starting to like this coach more everyday. I think we have us a good one:

“I told them from day one that I was not going to coach effort and attitude,” Kerns said. “I felt like we were feeling sorry for ourselves because Isaac wasn’t playing. There was no adjustment at halftime. There was no X and O talk. It was, ‘Hey listen. You’re job is to go play. I won’t feel sorry for you and Georgia State certainly doesn’t.’”

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:21 am

All of the above , or most of it.We are rebuilding , there are going to be bumps in the road.We have a really good staff.I will make the trip through the mountains tomorrow.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:24 am

The game was there for the taking with about 4:00 left. The 3 (at least) easy tap in or open bunnies killed us. I really love the defensive intensity. When you get down about 9 or 10 and have to ramp up the defense it gets tougher on the offensive end if the other guys are making you work for shots. Like I said, make those easy layups and it is a different ball game down the stretch. I agree, add a few more horses and this can be a very good squad.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:18 am

I was interrupted a few times during the game, so I didn't see every minute. Their press in the first half seemed to completely befuddle us. That's what a press is supposed to do, but we looked really really bad against it.
It was really nice to see the team keep fighting. I could be wrong, but I believe we actually outscored them in the second half; it just wasn't enough to overcome the first half deficit.
Bigger picture: We play 20 conference games a year. Looking at last year's results, I believe we lost 12 conference games by 10 points or less. We won 6 conference games. If we win half of the conference games that we lost by 10 or less last year, that would put us at 12-8 in conference and 18-12 on the year (I think my math is right). I'd take that for the first year of a new coach. Especially when you compare that to last year's 11-21 record.

rbarthle17
Site Admin

Unread post by rbarthle17 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:18 am

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:52 pm

Considering where we've been, this is a big step in the right direction. There are no quick fixes, but this is the kind of foundation you can build a long term successful program on.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:18 pm

Hopefully, we can find some pure shooters and a true PG. Enjoy watching this team compete.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”