Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The Case to keep Capel one more year

proudofyosef
School: Appalachian State

The Case to keep Capel one more year

Unread post by proudofyosef » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:56 am

If Neal had been eligible early, this team would be 16-13 right now. All indications are that the class coming in is his best (especially Devonte Graham and Kobani) and another guy will be coming in with Okam no longer with the team. The addition of a true PG (who's not too short) in Graham will allow Neal to move to his more natural SG position, with Hamilton becoming a 30-minute-plus sixth man. I see it breaking down this way:

PG: Devonte Graham
SG: Mike Neal
C: Obacha
SF: Canty
PF: Baskin

6th man: Hamilton, SG-SF
7th man: Chris Burgess, PG
8th man: Mike Kobani, PF-C

Remaining options: Jonathan Frye (6-4 G), Dustin Clarke (6-3 G), Tommy Spagnolo (6-7 F), Frank Eaves (6-0 G), Rantavious Gilbert (6-8 C), Ty Toney (6-0 freshman), Aaron Scott (6-4 freshman)

Depending on what happens with Frye and how good Scott is (and there are indications he can really shoot it), this team will have perimeter options. All in all, it's not that bad a place to be. If he can't win at least 18 next year, then fire him.

GlassOnion

Re: The Case to keep Capel one more year

Unread post by GlassOnion » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 am

I say Cobb should look around. If he's got a better candidate available, make the change. If not, continue to look throughout the next season. Even if Capel wins 18 next season, is there really a case to keep him? IMO no. The Socon is terrible. If we're content with being middle of the pack in the Socon, we're content with hovering just above bottom in the entire country.

The Black Hole. Kind of a foreshadowing wasnt it?

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:05 pm

I don't see any possible scenario short of scandal where Capel isn't coaching next year. We are not in the financial position to buy out a contract for one year of possibly better basketball just days prior to an FBS move. Cobb isn't going to look. Even if we lose by 30 in the first round next weekend, Capel will remain on the sideline for the '13-'14 season.

Appersrule

Unread post by Appersrule » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:07 pm

If this was Football, half of this board would have been carrying pitch forks and torches to the athletics center the night we lost to Citadel at home trying to fire Capel. Which is about the equivalent to if we lose to Charleston Southern this year in football.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:11 pm

proudofyosef wrote:and another guy will be coming in with Okam no longer with the team.
Wait, what?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 pm

The case to keep Capel can be summed up easily, $150,000.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:15 pm

T-Dog wrote:
proudofyosef wrote:and another guy will be coming in with Okam no longer with the team.
Wait, what?
My question as well. I saw him sitting behind the bench on Saturday. I just assumed he was injured.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:49 pm

Appersrule wrote:If this was Football, half of this board would have been carrying pitch forks and torches to the athletics center the night we lost to Citadel at home trying to fire Capel.
If memory serves me correctly that is pretty much what did happen.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:52 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Appersrule wrote:If this was Football, half of this board would have been carrying pitch forks and torches to the athletics center the night we lost to Citadel at home trying to fire Capel.
If memory serves me correctly that is pretty much what did happen.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Didn't The Citadel do exactly the same thing in football? Granted...if football they aren't not QUITE the cellar dweller that thes year's basketball team is, but it was a humilating loss at home all the same....one that never should have happened. I didn't actually SEE any pitchforks, but I'm confident that several folks had them ready.

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:01 pm

We finished 4th out of 12... from listening to this crowd all year, you'd think we finished 12th. :roll:

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Appersrule wrote:If this was Football, half of this board would have been carrying pitch forks and torches to the athletics center the night we lost to Citadel at home trying to fire Capel. Which is about the equivalent to if we lose to Charleston Southern this year in football.
Or Citadel... oh wait... :oops:

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:13 pm

AppAttack wrote:We finished 4th out of 12... from listening to this crowd all year, you'd think we finished 12th. :roll:
Finished 4th with a losing record overall, in a conference that is awful. We had no business losing to some of the teams we lost to this year, but we found a way. We also weren't even competitive in games against Charleston and Davidson.

Capel had similar results last year with a more talented team.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Okay we are almost the best of the worst............ I defended Jason last year but I am not seeing the coaching growth......The only reason I keep him is to solidify the couple of good recruits I see coming in and I announce at the beginning of the season that we will evaluate a contract extention after the season ends.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:25 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:
AppAttack wrote:We finished 4th out of 12... from listening to this crowd all year, you'd think we finished 12th. :roll:
Finished 4th with a losing record overall, in a conference that is awful. We had no business losing to some of the teams we lost to this year, but we found a way. We also weren't even competitive in games against Charleston and Davidson.

Capel had similar results last year with a more talented team.
We actually did lead at the half against Charleston.

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:42 pm

hapapp wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
Wait, what?
My question as well. I saw him sitting behind the bench on Saturday. I just assumed he was injured.

The game program for Saturday and a GoASU story last week said that Okam would be graduating in the Spring and was thus playing his last home game against the Mocs. However they did not recognize him at the game and the GoASU story appears to have been edited. Who knows for sure? I just assumed this was the reason we were taking the commitment from the big man from Raleigh Ravenscroft.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:06 pm

That sounds pretty good until you realize how bad the conference actually is. Pretty sad when a team that is 10-18 vs DI opposition gets a tournament bye. Whew boy just lookie at the conference competition we blasted. None of the 8 teams below us had a winning record and were a combined 54-90 in the conference, 71-157 overall. Some of you guys can continue to try and make chicken salad out of chicken $%#@ while the rest of us will focus on reality.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:14 pm

I hope no one mistakes accepting the inevitable as a happy endorsement of Capel's tenure.

Would I like to see a Tar Heel kicked out of App State and replaced by a great new coach? APPsolutely. I'd also love to put Bobby Knight in a time machine, subtract 30 years from his age and make him sign a binding contract with the devil dictating that he cannot stop coaching at App until we have at least 3 Final Four appearances. It just isn't in the cards unless one of you wants to drop 150k to buy out Capel's contract.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:47 pm

Kgfish wrote:
That sounds pretty good until you realize how bad the conference actually is. Pretty sad when a team that is 10-18 vs DI opposition gets a tournament bye. Whew boy just lookie at the conference competition we blasted. None of the 8 teams below us had a winning record and were a combined 54-90 in the conference, 71-157 overall. Some of you guys can continue to try and make chicken salad out of chicken $%#@ while the rest of us will focus on reality.

Regardless of "reality", there are a few of us who will be pulling for ASU to do their best while some of you folks continue to hope for the worst out of the current staff and players. No one that I read on this board is under any illusion that ASU is likely going to advance past the first game, if that. But, some folks try to highlight the positives when they occur. Others find it impossible to say anything positive and instead find every reason to put this team down and apparently relish in their failings.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:03 pm

hapapp wrote:
Kgfish wrote:

Regardless of "reality", there are a few of us who will be pulling for ASU to do their best while some of you folks continue to hope for the worst out of the current staff and players. No one that I read on this board is under any illusion that ASU is likely going to advance past the first game, if that. But, some folks try to highlight the positives when they occur. Others find it impossible to say anything positive and instead find every reason to put this team down and apparently relish in their failings.
I can't speak for everyone but I certainly do not wish for the team to fail. Earlier in the season I was more optimistic after a good win, but that optimism was always crushed by an evern worse loss. After a while I quit getting my hopes up due to the inconsistencies. I would venture to say that many App fans share my feelings/point of view/apathy/whatever you may call it.

proudofyosef

Unread post by proudofyosef » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:23 pm

eggers76 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
Wait, what?

The game program for Saturday and a GoASU story last week said that Okam would be graduating in the Spring and was thus playing his last home game against the Mocs. However they did not recognize him at the game and the GoASU story appears to have been edited. Who knows for sure? I just assumed this was the reason we were taking the commitment from the big man from Raleigh Ravenscroft.
So did Marcus Bryan recommit?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”