Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CLASSLESS JERK!!!!!!!!!!

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: CLASSLESS JERK!!!!!!!!!!

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:27 pm

I sat behind the visiting bench for about twenty years in Varsity when I was able to attend regularly. I still have season tickets but the weeknight games aren’t logistically doable at this time. Anyway I did enjoy talking with the opposing coaches throughout those games .Never used profanity, it was my goal to distract them even to the point of making them crack. Of course their players noticed as well as our coaches and staff. Dwight Freeman actually nominated me for the hecklers hall of fame one season and old Frank Kearns came up in the stands to meet me right after the final horn in Ga Souths SoCon Varsity debut. It was quite an honor.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:55 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:04 pm
I heard it. Repeatedly. My largest disappointment was the lack of creativity from that handful of kids standing along the baseline.It was crude and not suitable for young children but I don’t recall seeing any there.I know good heckling when I here it , that wasn’t it. I remain hopeful that more students , alumni and fans will start turning out.I think an earlier tip time would help.
Downtown Boone was packed (as in a Football Saturday or more) an hour before tipoff (and I am sure throughout the afternoon). People were out and about in Boone. I don't think an earlier tip time would make a difference for the students to show up. Looking around the arena, not just the student section, there were maybe 300 to 400 students in attendance.

I don't know how you change it. I've challenged my son, who will be a Freshman next year, to attend every home basketball game when school is in session during his 4 years in Boone.

Winning will help and we are not the only school that struggles with basketball attendance, but it's truly a shame that this team doesn't get more support.

And the group in question, spent the entire game heckling. They may have cheered as well, but their MO the entire game was to harass the Troy bench. Some of the Troy players were laughing about it and there certainly was some back and forth, but this wasn't the occasional heckle, nor was their the balance of heckling and cheering that you see in Cameron.
Last edited by WASU 93 on Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:56 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:22 am
There's nothing wrong with holding a high standard for behavior and sportsmanship, but this does appear to be a bit of an over reaction. This type of taunting is status quo for sports. The truly unfortunate part is that we don't fill up the arena enough to drown them out.

Hopefully we continue to get active student involvement. We NEED passion from the fans and The Holmes Center needs to provide more of a home advantage. We're making progress this season but there is plenty of room to continue the improvement.

GO APPS!
I agree with this. I’ve been within earshot of more d-bags at sporting events (App and elsewhere) over the years than I could possibly remember. Generally, they’re annoying but they don’t stop me from enjoying the game. You aren’t going to have a crowd of tens of thousands of partisans without a few who make asses of themselves. I’m sure they’re more noticeable when the crowd is closer to the hundreds.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:22 pm

Lord don’t go to an NFL or NBA game.....
I believe your wife and kids were offended as were you. Unless they were using profanity or discussing family race or sex as I mentioned earlier it may be cringe worthy but IMO it’s home court advantage!

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:51 pm

Innocent until proven guilty. I am going to need some information about what was said before I'm willing to label anyone a jerk. You say that you hope someone of power reads this and puts a stop to it. Yet you fail to offer any specifics. It's going to be awfully hard to put an end to it if they don't know what they're looking for.
The mountains are calling and I must go

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:27 pm

I tend to believe a fellow mountaineer...

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:47 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:55 pm
Stonewall wrote:
I heard it. Repeatedly. My largest disappointment was the lack of creativity from that handful of kids standing along the baseline.It was crude and not suitable for young children but I don’t recall seeing any there.I know good heckling when I here it , that wasn’t it. I remain hopeful that more students , alumni and fans will start turning out.I think an earlier tip time would help.
Downtown Boone was packed (as in a Football Saturday or more) an hour before tipoff (and I am sure throughout the afternoon). People were out and about in Boone. I don't think an earlier tip time would make a difference for the students to show up. Looking around the arena, not just the student section, there were maybe 300 to 400 students in attendance.

I don't know how you change it. I've challenged my son, who will be a Freshman next year, to attend every home basketball game when school is in session during his 4 years in Boone.

Winning will help and we are not the only school that struggles with basketball attendance, but it's truly a shame that this team doesn't get more support.

And the group in question, spent the entire game heckling. They may have cheered as well, but their MO the entire game was to harass the Troy bench. Some of the Troy players were laughing about it and there certainly was some back and forth, but this wasn't the occasional heckle, nor was their the balance of heckling and cheering that you see in Cameron.
Yes. I remember those days. My comment about tip times relates to those coming from some distance and being faced with night time driving through the mountains in unpredictable weather conditions. A two o’clock Saturday tip would allow time to make it off the mountain before dark. This years Southern game was a good example as the roads were snow covered from Foscoe to Linville with numerous accidents. I agree in that I don’t think it matters to locals or students.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:59 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:18 pm
Actually you should have a reason to start a thread about bad behavior.

Without it your credibility is lacking.

What I saw yesterday were a dozen passionate fans have fun getting under our opponents skin. Such as calling players “benchers” when they came out and chanting “fundamentals” after a traveling call, wishing the player “goodbye” after the fifth foul, and “warm up the bus”.

We could use about 500-1000 more student like those to create a home court advantage.

Without specifics the other way your claims are baseless.
Here is the only specific I need.....My wife and daughter don't want to go back to a game because they were embarrassed and don't want to be associated with that kind of program. I was there for the basketball. They were there for the social event. They will not be back. More tickets are sold for the social event than the basketball game.

Good luck to you and the 6 obnoxious students in growing the crowd. My bet is the 6 students will go when they quit getting the attention they crave. Someone above posted a larger crowd will drown them out. Very true. We don't have the larger crowd. So, the powers that be may want to address the obnoxious guy at the party or the crowd will find another party.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:14 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:47 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:55 pm
Stonewall wrote:

Yes. I remember those days. My comment about tip times relates to those coming from some distance and being faced with night time driving through the mountains in unpredictable weather conditions. A two o’clock Saturday tip would allow time to make it off the mountain before dark. This years Southern game was a good example as the roads were snow covered from Foscoe to Linville with numerous accidents. I agree in that I don’t think it matters to locals or students.
That's a good point. A two o'clock start time makes sense in that regard.

In a perfect world, the Sun Belt would go back to a Friday night/Sunday afternoon schedule. An 8 pm tip on Friday and a 1 pm tip on Sunday would allow for a basketball weekend with Saturday free to ski/tube/shop/sightsee.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:18 pm

I totally agree there is a big difference in being tasteless / obnoxious than good-natured heckling and supporting your team - I would say that if were there and this was happening I think I could find somewhere else to sit with 7,000 empty seats. I have been to many games in Cameron and I would say 9 out of 10 cheers they do are either funny or creative - very, very few have been over the line. The worst ever is GaSo - we absolutely don't want to be compared to that bunch.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:30 pm

To all: Go back and look up pictures of Varsity Gym during the years 1975-1985. See if you can find some youtube videos of games with ETSU, Davidson, or Marshall. Talk to folks who were in school back then (like me). Varsity was a bona fide home court advantage. Students packed the place. Most of the football team sat together and cheered the team, harassed the opponents with good-natured stuff, gave the refs a hard time but I don't recall any obnoxious off-color insulting bad taste stuff. I sat on the bench so I could see and hear the crowds very well.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:33 pm

Regarding my previous post about Varsity Gym. Here's ETSU from 1991.

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:51 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:30 pm
To all: Go back and look up pictures of Varsity Gym during the years 1975-1985. See if you can find some youtube videos of games with ETSU, Davidson, or Marshall. Talk to folks who were in school back then (like me). Varsity was a bona fide home court advantage. Students packed the place. Most of the football team sat together and cheered the team, harassed the opponents with good-natured stuff, gave the refs a hard time but I don't recall any obnoxious off-color insulting bad taste stuff. I sat on the bench so I could see and hear the crowds very well.
I was there '80 to '84 and Varsity was rockin! Don't remember missing a game while I was there. Alcohol may have impaired my memory??

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:03 pm

ASU84 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:51 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:30 pm
I was there '80 to '84 and Varsity was rockin! Don't remember missing a game while I was there. Alcohol may have impaired my memory??
I remember one game in particular. The football team would sit across the floor from our bench. Early on there was 2-3 fast breaks up and down the court. On that side for the breaks was Ralph Stout, long-time SoCon, ACC official. He came running down court and our big OT Andre Staton hollered, "Hey ref....how about a beer?" Ralph didn't miss a step, watched the break, yelled and signaled to Andre: "Yeah! Make it two!" and held up two fingers! That side of VB erupted!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:27 pm

Sounds more like your family is looking for an excuse not to go to App games...

No substance or reasons in this thread.

Thanks to those students that show up and cheer on this program.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:33 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:33 pm
AWESOME TIMES. I was at that game. I hate the students are missing out on the good times.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:03 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:18 pm
Actually you should have a reason to start a thread about bad behavior.

Without it your credibility is lacking.

What I saw yesterday were a dozen passionate fans have fun getting under our opponents skin. Such as calling players “benchers” when they came out and chanting “fundamentals” after a traveling call, wishing the player “goodbye” after the fifth foul, and “warm up the bus”.

We could use about 500-1000 more student like those to create a home court advantage.

Without specifics the other way your claims are baseless.
Here is to your credibility as to what you "saw yesterday". I am pretty sure you did not hear all of these chants. No one fouled out for Troy.
This is my last post on the subject. I will let you have the last word.

P.S. My favorite chant of the day was. "We want pancakes...We want pancakes". 0.2 on the clock with Troy shooting two meaningless free throws at the end of the game. That one made me laugh. My son and I had a good time rooting for App and for free pancakes. We plan on going this Saturday. Hope to see you there.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:18 pm

I want to commend ALL students that attend football games for being sober saints that don't use profanity or trash talk. It really goes a long way to help attendance. Without such sacred behavior I can only imagine how much aluminum we'd see on Saturdays.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:31 pm

A guy posts a thread about classless jerks.

People begin to chastise him and praise the classless jerks.

People say classless jerks are a home-court advantage. AKA classless jerks are great when they benefit us.

Some begin to hedge to the OP a bit. Some continue to be jerks to the OP about classless jerks.

Some begin to aimlessly reminisce about old things and say the new things just aren't as good as the old things.

Some are waiting on the nurse to bring them their laptops and empty their catheter bags so they can join in the reminiscing of when there were lots of jerks at games, not just a few.

Others state that the OP must not go out into the world as jerks are everywhere and that somehow makes it the OPs fault they are offended.

All I can say is this.

This is a full-blown four-alarm offseason emergency here. We're gonna press on and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest football season since Grayden Eggers tap-danced across College field. When Yosef rocks his black and gold ass from his cabin down that mountain to KB on September 5th he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse.

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:17 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:33 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:33 pm
AWESOME TIMES. I was at that game. I hate the students are missing out on the good times.
Those were great times! I was in the Pep Band that season. I remember that game well!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”