Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CLASSLESS JERK!!!!!!!!!!

Saint3333

Re: CLASSLESS JERK!!!!!!!!!!

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:19 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:03 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:18 pm
Actually you should have a reason to start a thread about bad behavior.

Without it your credibility is lacking.

What I saw yesterday were a dozen passionate fans have fun getting under our opponents skin. Such as calling players “benchers” when they came out and chanting “fundamentals” after a traveling call, wishing the player “goodbye” after the fifth foul, and “warm up the bus”.

We could use about 500-1000 more student like those to create a home court advantage.

Without specifics the other way your claims are baseless.
Here is to your credibility as to what you "saw yesterday". I am pretty sure you did not hear all of these chants. No one fouled out for Troy.
This is my last post on the subject. I will let you have the last word.

P.S. My favorite chant of the day was. "We want pancakes...We want pancakes". 0.2 on the clock with Troy shooting two meaningless free throws at the end of the game. That one made me laugh. My son and I had a good time rooting for App and for free pancakes. We plan on going this Saturday. Hope to see you there.
Ha! This is perfect.

I’m so offended!

Why?

People said things.

What?

I don’t know but I’m so embarrassed I’m going back next week!

Get seats behind the home team so we don’t have to listen to false virtue signaling.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:04 am

appdaze states: "Some begin to aimlessly reminisce about old things and say the new things just aren't as good as the old things."

I'm not saying things aren't as good as the old things but in the link to that ETSU game the crowd in Varsity speaks for itself. During my era that included coaches Maravich and Cremins these crowds were the norm, not the exception. They were also sitting on typical high school wooden bleachers. The only other SoCon arena/gym that could come close to that atmosphere was "The Pit" at VMI. Am I reminiscing? Certainly, but only because I know Holmes could be just like that if students would just get out and show up.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:12 am

scatman77 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:04 am
appdaze states: "Some begin to aimlessly reminisce about old things and say the new things just aren't as good as the old things."

I'm not saying things aren't as good as the old things but in the link to that ETSU game the crowd in Varsity speaks for itself. During my era that included coaches Maravich and Cremins these crowds were the norm, not the exception. They were also sitting on typical high school wooden bleachers. The only other SoCon arena/gym that could come close to that atmosphere was "The Pit" at VMI. Am I reminiscing? Certainly, but only because I know Holmes could be just like that if students would just get out and show up.
Same here, I recall the Davisdon home game when John Fitch was winning the game shooting from near half court at the buzzer and there was no three pointer. You couldn't even hear yourself think, lol. Of course in those days, you didn't have to pledge 10 grand to get a good parking spot. :)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 am

scatman77 wrote:

Hey Scatman, do you remember what playing at The Citadel (like VMI) was like in those days?? The cadets would stand so close to the sidelines, especially under the goals that the players could barely stand to throw the ball inbounds. They were loud but in no way obnoxious...I just remember them crowding the sidelines.....kind of like App fans did at the end of the Delaware Championship Football game.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:38 am

SpeedkingATL wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 am
scatman77 wrote:

Hey Scatman, do you remember what playing at The Citadel (like VMI) was like in those days?? The cadets would stand so close to the sidelines, especially under the goals that the players could barely stand to throw the ball inbounds. They were loud but in no way obnoxious...I just remember them crowding the sidelines.....kind of like App fans did at the end of the Delaware Championship Football game.
Oh yeah....McAllister Field House was a mess too. VMI's "Pit" wouldn't qualify for a decent high school gym.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:50 am

VMI actually had some great teams in that era. Just ask Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:51 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:25 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:17 pm
How can you call someone a Classless Jerk when you don’t know what was said?

I will never understand this mentality.

Person 1 - he’s a jerk!

Person 2 - why what did they do to make you believe that?

Person 1 - I didn’t hear anything they said, but others were upset and I can’t explain why

Person 2 - exits conversation...
NO...He was a jerk. I don't need any specifics to know he was a jerk. I could give some other terms but I am choosing just like he should to enjoy with some class. No exit of the conversation. I go back to my original point....I bet that group is keeping some of our students from attending. No need to be associated with that.
You still haven't told us what they were saying that made them seem jerk like; you just keep repeating that they are a jerk.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Time for the pearl clutchers to go back to the Hill where they belong.

Seriously, the nerve of some of these squares. I’d take a thousand App State Cone Boys for every sanctimonious, “can-I-speak-to-the-manager” Boomer alum.

“Make them hate to play App State” -Dustin Kerns

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Did anyone ever go to the Cracker Box at Guilford in the 60s - early 70s?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:08 pm

PoplarHillApp wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:17 am
spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:33 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:33 pm
Regarding my previous post about Varsity Gym. Here's ETSU from 1991.
AWESOME TIMES. I was at that game. I hate the students are missing out on the good times.
Those were great times! I was in the Pep Band that season. I remember that game well!
I was there too. Fun times in VG.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:37 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:58 pm
My brother attended Guilford in the late 60’s. So yes, I saw some games there. I saw Kauffman & Co. quite a few times. Great atmosphere! Also, I lived in Lexington, and the Carolinas Conference tournament was held there in the YMCA. I saw Durante, Logan, Littles, etc.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:50 pm

Appsolutely wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:37 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:58 pm
My brother attended Guilford in the late 60’s. So yes, I saw some games there. I saw Kauffman & Co. quite a few times. Great atmosphere! Also, I lived in Lexington, and the Carolinas Conference tournament was held there in the YMCA. I saw Durante, Logan, Littles, etc.
Yes - I did see all of them as well - Guilford had some great teams with Kauffman and M.L. Carr and Lloyd (World B.) Free and Greg Jackson all of whom played in the NBA - that place only held about 900 including standing room - Those were some great basketball players along with Tommy Cole at Elon - Henry Logan would put on a show dunking in pre-game - he was only about 5'9"
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:18 pm

Sounds like someone went looking for a wholesome family experience and sat near some actual fans. Should it be family friendly? Sure, but for someone who went to App 30 years ago, you sure do get offended like someone who is young enough to be in school now. I can't remember the last time I heard someone complain about something that wasn't said to them, they aren't sure what was said, and they were still offended by it.

A rowdy student section is something Holmes has been missing until the past couple of years. We all know it. They finally get out of the dorms, into Holmes, and try to make Holmes a tough place for opponents to play (the mental game is huge), and now someone is offended. You, my fellow App State friend, would make an incredible Millennial.

Better prepare your kids for high school. They'll hear all that same language (whatever it was) and more. All from the big meanie-heads in their classes.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:48 pm

yikas1 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:49 pm
In varsity gym between 82-86 we could be annoying and call out players. Said some pretty bad things about WCU and ETSU players and coaches.

Yep.
Google SUX

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:20 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:18 pm
Sounds like someone went looking for a wholesome family experience and sat near some actual fans. Should it be family friendly? Sure, but for someone who went to App 30 years ago, you sure do get offended like someone who is young enough to be in school now. I can't remember the last time I heard someone complain about something that wasn't said to them, they aren't sure what was said, and they were still offended by it.

A rowdy student section is something Holmes has been missing until the past couple of years. We all know it. They finally get out of the dorms, into Holmes, and try to make Holmes a tough place for opponents to play (the mental game is huge), and now someone is offended. You, my fellow App State friend, would make an incredible Millennial.

Better prepare your kids for high school. They'll hear all that same language (whatever it was) and more. All from the big meanie-heads in their classes.
There was not a rowdy student section and that is my point. They didn't "finally get out of the dorms" unless they were camouflaged as empty seats. Very few students are attending. We are winning so it is not the team or the coach. I think these obnoxious few are keeping the rest away. I could be wrong. My guess is others don't want to be associated with it. If you can't get them out with FREE PIZZA something else is going on.

I pulled a few of my quotes from the original post.

"I now know why students don't attend basketball games anymore, the 5 or 6 jerks acting with zero class."

"Don't expect students to show until the low life nerd group is silenced."

Help me understand where the "Rowdy Student section" is?????? Something is keeping them away. My guess is it is not "COOL" to associate with these 6. Like I said, I could be wrong. I hope I am wrong because we do need the students.

P.S. My 12 year old daughter is no snowflake and deals with meanie-heads well. It took her less than a half to deal with it. She didn't want to be associated with them in a half a ball game. My guess is others are choosing not to associate as well.

In a playground setting these kids would not say a word, They would get pummeled.

I sure didn't make any friends with my post. I am a big App Fan and I don't mind heckling. Just like most of you all are stating, it is part of the game and can be a great home court advantage.

So I will ask you all, What is keeping the students away???

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:50 pm

Take the L and move on spacemonkey.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:04 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:20 pm
BooneKarate wrote:

There was not a rowdy student section and that is my point. They didn't "finally get out of the dorms" unless they were camouflaged as empty seats. Very few students are attending. We are winning so it is not the team or the coach. I think these obnoxious few are keeping the rest away. I could be wrong. My guess is others don't want to be associated with it. If you can't get them out with FREE PIZZA something else is going on.

"I now know why students don't attend basketball games anymore, the 5 or 6 jerks acting with zero class."

Help me understand where the "Rowdy Student section" is?????? Something is keeping them away. My guess is it is not "COOL" to associate with these 6. Like I said, I could be wrong. I hope I am wrong because we do need the students.

P.S. My 12 year old daughter is no snowflake and deals with meanie-heads well. It took her less than a half to deal with it. She didn't want to be associated with them in a half a ball game. My guess is others are choosing not to associate as well.

In a playground setting these kids would not say a word, They would get pummeled.

I sure didn't make any friends with my post. I am a big App Fan and I don't mind heckling. Just like most of you all are stating, it is part of the game and can be a great home court advantage.

You shouldn’t have lost any friends from your post either. I know what you were getting at and respect your opinion even if it was a tad over the top. We need to keep winning to get more students on board.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:15 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:20 pm
BooneKarate wrote:

One of the most significant issues that students and alumni alike have with App State MBB is eight (8) consecutive losing seasons. Eight years of inept coaching and recruiting will fill our home venue with 7,500 empty seats. We have proof! That bloody-awful streak is f-i-n-a-l-l-y coming to an end! Thank you Coach Kerns!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:22 pm

No one really knows why attendance sucks. We are a very average ball club right now with a recent history of losing? We live in a state that is obsessed with Duke/UNC bball so we dont pull locals? Student have so many more outlets for fun in Boone than they did in the 80s? I do know it isnt 6 so called idiots as our attendence has sucked for almost 2 decades, and I doubt these 6 have been around all that long. This not so well described behavior is very common at schools that have far larger crowds and more success than we do. Maybe we need more of it to actually win? If we are using loose associations to make these kind of assumptions.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:57 pm

I don’t see why we can’t have an intimidating crowd and still not be classless. I’d rather be a loser than have the reputation of a Georgia Southern.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”