Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CLASSLESS JERK!!!!!!!!!!

spacemonkey
School: Appalachian State

CLASSLESS JERK!!!!!!!!!!

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:11 am

I decided to make the trip for Alumni day and catch a home game.
I now know why students don't attend basketball games anymore, the 5 or 6 jerks acting with zero class.
I was embarrassed to be an APP Alumnus. I truly hope Coach Kerns or AD Doug Gillin put a stop to it and soon. If I were a student, there is NO WAY I would be a part of that. CHEER FOR YOUR TEAM/not against the other and definitely not personal attacks against individual players.

I would have loved for one of the Troy players to have punched those students making personal solo attacks against Troy players. We as a school should not allow personal insults being thrown at individual players from the opposing team.

I hope someone with power reads this and puts an end to it quickly.

That being said, great arena, great team and great coach. Other than the front row nerd/jerks it was fun to catch a game live. I will be back this Saturday.

Don't expect students to show until the low life nerd group is silenced.

AppStateNews

Re: CLASSLESS JERK!!!!!!!!!!

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:28 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:11 am
I now know why students don't attend basketball games anymore, the 5 or 6 jerks acting with zero class.
I was embarrassed to be an APP Alumnus. I truly hope Coach Kerns or AD Doug Gillin put a stop to it and soon. If I were a student, there is NO WAY I would be a part of that. CHEER FOR YOUR TEAM/not against the other and definitely not personal attacks against individual players.

I would have loved for one of the Troy players to have punched those students making personal solo attacks against Troy players. We as a school should not allow personal insults being thrown at individual players from the opposing team.

That being said, great arena, great team and great coach. Other than the front row nerd/jerks it was fun to catch a game live. I will be back this Saturday.

You very clearly have never been to a college basketball game before today....
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:39 am

That person/people is probably a student and is probably not the reason students aren’t showing up to game.
Personally, I feel it’s a good sign that we have people care enough about basketball to show up and act this way.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:13 am

What exactly was said to trigger this response?

I attended the game and didn’t hear them chant anything out of the usual b-ball taunting of players you’d hear at HS or college games.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:58 am

spacemonkey wrote:

Though I have desperately wanted to attend a few games this year I haven't, so I can't say I know for sure what you experienced. However, I have been to a few Duke games at Cameron and can tell you the students almost in unison call out players of the opposing teams. It's especially brutal during breaks in the action. They know each player's girlfriends/past girlfriends, professors, grades and more personal information than I could name about a pretty close friend. That's why they call them the Cameron Crazies and that's a major factor in Duke's home game advantage. If you're into basketball you may recall when UNC played there years ago their star player was mocked with signs saying "JR can't Reid (or read)" It doesn't get much worse than that.

I would love to see our students actively involved in games the way they have been for football. While I had no dog in the fight when I saw Duke play (got tickets from a friend for an exchange student we hosted), it did make me a little uncomfortable to hear the things those Dukies were saying to opposing players. Still I would love to see our team play in a home atmosphere half as energized as what they have every game at Duke. If it means students doing a little homework on opposing players and teams and using it to knock those players off their game, then I'm fine with it. It just needs to stay out of the gutter.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:32 am

spacemonkey wrote:

:roll: :roll: Give me a break. Lighten up Francis. :roll: :roll:

Troys bench was extremely mouthy in the first half. I was shocked their coaches weren’t chewing them out for engaging with the crowd instead of paying attention. They got what they deserved, a Black & Gold butt whooping. If only we had a few hundred/thousand more as dedicated as that “nerd” group you criticized. GO APPS!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:02 am

Bunch of Jerks.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

TheAppalachianState

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:00 am

Could you not move seats? I think this post is a little over the top if these kids were vulgar enough that no one else asked them to leave.

But, I will say that I LOVE a good trash talk at games - be passionate about yo team youngins!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:22 am

There's nothing wrong with holding a high standard for behavior and sportsmanship, but this does appear to be a bit of an over reaction. This type of taunting is status quo for sports. The truly unfortunate part is that we don't fill up the arena enough to drown them out.

Hopefully we continue to get active student involvement. We NEED passion from the fans and The Holmes Center needs to provide more of a home advantage. We're making progress this season but there is plenty of room to continue the improvement.

GO APPS!

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:40 am

As long as there's no profanity, any heckling goes at a home game. I was 4 rows back from our bench and never heard the "jerk". Where was he?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:51 am

spacemonkey wrote:

I don’t disagree with you but this is prevalent in college and the NBA. Most of this noise is lost in large crowds which we don’t have. As long as you leave family out of the trash talk and don’t stoop to sexual or racial slurs it’s generally ok to get all over players and the coach.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:59 am

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:40 am
As long as there's no profanity, any heckling goes at a home game. I was 4 rows back from our bench and never heard the "jerk". Where was he?
Front row behind the dance team. Someone from the App arena pulled him out in the second half and he calmed down. I am not sure if they got him for the things he was saying or because he was vaping in the arena. I was behind the Troy bench so maybe it was harder to hear from the rest of the arena. The funny part was when they pulled him out to the walkway he had to stand near the Troy bench while they were talking to him. He wasn't so tough near the Troy team.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:03 pm

Still no specifics of what was said?

I imagine vaping was the reason...

If you’re going to make these claims at a minimum come with a couple of examples.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:04 pm

I heard it. Repeatedly. My largest disappointment was the lack of creativity from that handful of kids standing along the baseline.It was crude and not suitable for young children but I don’t recall seeing any there.I know good heckling when I here it , that wasn’t it. I remain hopeful that more students , alumni and fans will start turning out.I think an earlier tip time would help.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:05 pm

I’ll take “posts that are too much” for $500 Alex :lol: . To me the all caps title is what makes it

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:12 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:03 pm
Still no specifics of what was said?

I imagine vaping was the reason...

If you’re going to make these claims at a minimum come with a couple of examples.
I agree...I should have some examples. I don't. I am almost deaf. I had two of my four children with me (14 and 12). My wife and children referenced it many times on the way home. My daughter cheers for her middle school basketball team and she was pulling for Troy by the end of the first half because of the things that group was saying. I was watching the game and was mainly ignoring it. My wife was pissed.

I have not been to a Duke game so maybe I am old and believe in taking the high road as much as possible. I can see "yelling" when a certain player touches the ball and maybe 'yelling the name in unison....I love "Airball" on a missed shot but personal attacks seem classless to me. I was at App 88-92. We had packed varsity gyms and don't remember it ever getting personal. I can promise you none of those "jerks" would do it to their face without the protection of the situation. I found it comical in that way and embarrassing to represent our school.

For all of you calling me out...maybe I am wrong, I don't go to a lot of live basketball games. It is a three hour drive for me to get to App home games. I used to go to away games often when we were in the Southern. I don't recall any teams treating our players that way.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:17 pm

How can you call someone a Classless Jerk when you don’t know what was said?

I will never understand this mentality.

Person 1 - he’s a jerk!

Person 2 - why what did they do to make you believe that?

Person 1 - I didn’t hear anything they said, but others were upset and I can’t explain why

Person 2 - exits conversation...

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:25 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:17 pm
How can you call someone a Classless Jerk when you don’t know what was said?

I will never understand this mentality.

Person 1 - he’s a jerk!

Person 2 - why what did they do to make you believe that?

Person 1 - I didn’t hear anything they said, but others were upset and I can’t explain why

Person 2 - exits conversation...
NO...He was a jerk. I don't need any specifics to know he was a jerk. I could give some other terms but I am choosing just like he should to enjoy with some class. No exit of the conversation. I go back to my original point....I bet that group is keeping some of our students from attending. No need to be associated with that.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:18 pm

Actually you should have a reason to start a thread about bad behavior.

Without it your credibility is lacking.

What I saw yesterday were a dozen passionate fans have fun getting under our opponents skin. Such as calling players “benchers” when they came out and chanting “fundamentals” after a traveling call, wishing the player “goodbye” after the fifth foul, and “warm up the bus”.

We could use about 500-1000 more student like those to create a home court advantage.

Without specifics the other way your claims are baseless.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:49 pm

In varsity gym between 82-86 we could be annoying and call out players. Said some pretty bad things about WCU and ETSU players and coaches.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”