Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CLASSLESS JERK!!!!!!!!!!

CheckYosef94
School: Appalachian State

Re: CLASSLESS JERK!!!!!!!!!!

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:03 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:57 pm
I don’t see why we can’t have an intimidating crowd and still not be classless. I’d rather be a loser than have the reputation of a Georgia Southern.
I don't think anyone would disagree with you. I think most people are just hesitant to say those fans were being "classless jerks" without any proof.
The mountains are calling and I must go

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:45 pm

"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:27 pm

We could have a rowdy student section and still show a little class, hopefully with no f- bombs that kids can hear.

Been to the gyms in the old days - Catawba, Guilford, HP and more. Saw Daranty, Logan (my favorite), Artis, Drew and more. Those were the days. Days of team ball. Fun to watch.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:28 pm

Oh, and Woollen.

shortfatoldapp

Unread post by shortfatoldapp » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:59 am

Space, your opinion in this case is all I need. I too want everyone to “hate” us but I want it to be because we beat them! I suspect the reason the kids don’t come to the games is that we really don’t have any basketball tradition or history! That being said, I surely do not want sit beside a “mouthy leather-lungs”. I’m sorry your experience was poor, please try again.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:35 am

ASUPATCH wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:22 pm
No one really knows why attendance sucks. We are a very average ball club right now with a recent history of losing? We live in a state that is obsessed with Duke/UNC bball so we dont pull locals? Student have so many more outlets for fun in Boone than they did in the 80s? I do know it isnt 6 so called idiots as our attendence has sucked for almost 2 decades, and I doubt these 6 have been around all that long. This not so well described behavior is very common at schools that have far larger crowds and more success than we do. Maybe we need more of it to actually win? If we are using loose associations to make these kind of assumptions.
Why does attendance suck? This is a great question. I think it comes down to 2 things.

Culture - The culture of Boone and App State is football. Football. Football. Football. That's culture and takes a lot to change it. This is not a bad thing! Football is great and we all love it. But football is culture because that's what gave us the national spotlight on multiple occasions on a streak of great years. Why doesn't basketball have this culture? Well quite frankly, we've never made noise on the national stage to create any App State basketball fans. Maybe Kerns can help with that? Will take more than 2 years though.

Opponents - This is 2 parts. Recognition of opponents name (as a basketball school) and quality of opponent. Sure this can be relatively the same thing. Nobody cares if we play Sun Belt Basketball. If you ask the average football go-er, they'll associate the basketball team with how good their football team is. Then after you see the game or the outcome, you know more. If we win, they weren't that good, if we lose then they must have had a good team. NOBODY in Sun Belt Basketball makes noise on the national level. Let's compare the Sun Belt to the SoCon or the A-10 and see which conference has more power 5 wins. I'm not sure which one it is, but the Sun Belt is last. Also, we have to get quality opponents into Holmes for the non-conference season. If people don't care about the Sun Belt, I can guarantee you they don't care about basketball teams like Charlotte, Howard, or St. Andrews.

If we have no history of being a good team, and we are playing opponents that nobody has any reference on how good they are, then my friends we have come to what some of us in the business world call an "unmarketable product." Neither team in the game is attractive to watch based on what we know before the game starts. People are so uninterested that they find excuses to not come to the game instead of looking for ways to make it happen.

You can also tell they spend way less money on trying to get people to basketball than football (which is fair, but it's a little too obvious). If the athletics department doesn't make basketball a priority, then the fans will struggle to make it a priority on their end too. We've got one of the best shows in the Carolina's for football. But for basketball, we are in the same ballpark as Asheville and a worse atmosphere than ETSU. Why? It's a priority for those schools. Priorities matter.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:04 am

BooneKarate wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:35 am
The culture of Boone and App State is football. Football. Football. Football.
If we're going to be a one trick pony, I'm more than happy for it to be Football Football Football.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:10 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:04 am
BooneKarate wrote:
If we're going to be a one trick pony, I'm more than happy for it to be Football Football Football.
It's not an awful trick for a pony to have! But we can't be a one-trick pony and then be expected to have 2 tricks. If we want to be a one trick pony, then let's own that. That in itself is why we don't have well attended events for any other sport. One trick pony.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:13 pm

NewApp wrote:
I don’t see why we can’t have an intimidating crowd and still not be classless. I’d rather be a loser than have the reputation of a Georgia Southern.
We don't have that reputation and we won't have one anywhere close to the "Mob at The Stink" as long as men like Doug Gillen and Dustin Kerns are our leaders.

While we're on this subject, I nominate you to teach the App student body how, when and where on the " THE ARENA NOISE SCALE" to discern the boundary between intimidating cheers and classless ones. :mrgreen:

I believe I heard a chorus of seconds to the nomination. If there's no discussion, are we ready for the vote...
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:40 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:10 am
WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:04 am
BooneKarate wrote:
It's not an awful trick for a pony to have! But we can't be a one-trick pony and then be expected to have 2 tricks. If we want to be a one trick pony, then let's own that. That in itself is why we don't have well attended events for any other sport. One trick pony.
I'm not saying we should be strictly a one trick pony. However, as time passes it APPears we are in fact that. Basketball seems to be turning around a bit, hopefully the other major sport(s) follow suit. Until then, talk of moving to another conference is a waist of time. On a side note, I'm very proud of our wrestling team.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:54 pm

Right. We either be a one-trick pony and own it, or we find ways to grow our other sports. But we can't get frustrated when someone says, "why doesn't anyone come to a basketball game?" and the response is, "Cause we are culturally a football town." It's a statement of fact. And sure we can defend it with, "well I'd say it's good to be good at football, wouldn't you?" Because of course we all think it's good. Instead the response should be, "yes, we have historically been a football school, but what do we need to do (or the department) to help transform from being a one trick pony to being a 2-5 trick pony?" Have a growth mindset, not a defensive one. We all love our football.

Wrestling - doing absolutely phenomenal! Very proud of that group. As well as basketball! Big turnaround in the first year of Kerns. If this improvement in basketball keeps up, we could become competitive at the next level. And I think it'll be regardless of 5-6 "CLASSLESS JERKS" in the student section. They're basically irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. IMO.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:23 pm

All I'll say is, while in college just about 5 years ago, I was in the pep-band, and went to every. single. game for men and women, and there were many times when I would be the only human yelling in the arena... Without further evidence, It's just part of how it is, with this few number of fans. Obviously don't be a dick about it, bur the job of the fan is to be loud and obnoxious.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:11 am

asu66 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:13 pm
NewApp wrote:
We don't have that reputation and we won't have one anywhere close to the "Mob at The Stink" as long as men like Doug Gillen and Dustin Kerns are our leaders.

While we're on this subject, I nominate you to teach the App student body how, when and where on the " THE ARENA NOISE SCALE" to discern the boundary between intimidating cheers and classless ones. :mrgreen:

I believe I heard a chorus of seconds to the nomination. If there's no discussion, are we ready for the vote...
Snark alert.

FWIW, never said we were like GSU, just that I don’t want to be like them or any where close. The line isn’t thin. Chants like we heard in football is clearly Over the line. Rowdy is good. F bombs and singling out opposing players is over the line. Fair enough?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:36 am

shortfatoldapp wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:59 am
Space, your opinion in this case is all I need. I too want everyone to “hate” us but I want it to be because we beat them! I suspect the reason the kids don’t come to the games is that we really don’t have any basketball tradition or history! That being said, I surely do not want sit beside a “mouthy leather-lungs”. I’m sorry your experience was poor, please try again.
WOAH. I haven’t heard language that foul since Buddy the Elf called himself a cotton-headed ninnymuggins.

Seriously everybody, 4 pages on student section conduct? If it bothers you be a man and go tell the offender to clean it up. If you’re not man enough, move seats. If you’re too lazy to move, speak to an usher and have them ask the kid to clean it up.

It’s college sports not choir practice.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

shortfatoldapp

Unread post by shortfatoldapp » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:53 am

When are F-bombs ever appropriate?

shortfatoldapp

Unread post by shortfatoldapp » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:54 am

When are F-bombs ever appropriate?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:54 am

HOW. IS. THIS. THREAD. STILL. GOING?
Give 'em hell!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:09 am

This thread is still going because we are a one trick pony. Baseball stinks right now so there is nothing to discuss. Basketball, while significantly improved, is still just above .500 as a program. And it is mid February, a long way from football season. And we have lots of folks who just like to see their stupid comments and stupid replies to their comments.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:38 am

NewApp wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:11 am
asu66 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Snark alert.

FWIW, never said we were like GSU, just that I don’t want to be like them or any where close. The line isn’t thin. Chants like we heard in football is clearly Over the line. Rowdy is good. F bombs and singling out opposing players is over the line. Fair enough?
Chanting the F-word is over the line, yes. I don't think that singling out players is over the line by any means. The "airball" chant signals people out. Should we single college kids out with info about a deceased family member? That's too far. But singling a player out is a very vague statement and has very different levels to it. Where's the line? Who knows. But there's only one way to find it!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:21 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:38 am
NewApp wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:11 am
asu66 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Snark alert.

Chanting the F-word is over the line, yes. I don't think that singling out players is over the line by any means. The "airball" chant signals people out. Should we single college kids out with info about a deceased family member? That's too far. But singling a player out is a very vague statement and has very different levels to it. Where's the line? Who knows. But there's only one way to find it!
Maybe we should drop basketball and pick up sarcastaball? That would ensure no feelings are ever in danger of being hurt.
Give 'em hell!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”