Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sunbelt Scheduling Changes

agentpaul001
School: Appalachian State

Sunbelt Scheduling Changes

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:00 am

Looks like changes to this year's conference basketball schedule are being discussed.

https://www.katc.com/sports/ul-sports/w ... save-money

Sounds like we may actually see most of the scheduling details earlier then we'd otherwise. I've been worried we might see a condensed or non-existent OOC schedule this year due to COVID. Partly financial, but also travel as well as we the season's start. There may be a push to start basketball in January with a wholly in conference schedule. If that is the only way we get basketball this year, then obviously I'd be totally onboard.

APPdiesel

Re: Sunbelt Scheduling Changes

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:14 am

"Bob Marlin says there is a proposal that could pit the Cajuns against rival ULM four times this season in an effort to limit cross-country trips" -- interesting.

Time to put in calls to ECU, Charlotte, and Marshall first...foster the scheduling relationships we already have. WKU and Middle Tennessee second...see if there's interest and see if it can flourish into football later. Western Carolina, UT Chattanooga, and JMU third.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:47 pm

I'd say we start with Georgia, Ga Tech, Ga Southern...pretty much anything in the peach state should be game. We can get a haircut and a tattoo while visiting. :lol:

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:40 pm

mike87 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:47 pm
I'd say we start with Georgia, Ga Tech, Ga Southern...pretty much anything in the peach state should be game. We can get a haircut and a tattoo while visiting. :lol:
Georgia Southern is already on the schedule Mike. *sigh*

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:07 pm

I'm diametrically opposed to scheduling Lees-McRae, Warren Wilson and Montreat! ;)
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:13 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:14 am
"Bob Marlin says there is a proposal that could pit the Cajuns against rival ULM four times this season in an effort to limit cross-country trips" -- interesting.

Time to put in calls to ECU, Charlotte, and Marshall first...foster the scheduling relationships we already have. WKU and Middle Tennessee second...see if there's interest and see if it can flourish into football later. Western Carolina, UT Chattanooga, and JMU third.
I'd rather play Emory and Henry than to play JMU now. Their superior attitude during the Sun Belt courtship made me not care if we ever see them again.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:24 pm

Hopefully this leads to the

App
Marshall
Ohio
ODU
Charlotte
CCU
GSU
GSouthern

Leaves room for many OOC scheduled games.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:35 pm

Finally got a chance to talk to a friend who is a head coach at “one of the big schools”. His world , their world has and is being turned upside down.And they have a financial cushion that we do not. He is genuinely concerned about the fate of college athletics and beyond that ,the university system as a whole. He offered no predictions going forward. It was an unsettling conversation.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:42 pm

appst89 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:13 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

I'd rather play Emory and Henry than to play JMU now. Their superior attitude during the Sun Belt courtship made me not care if we ever see them again.
8th on the list...8th out of 8. Focusing on the wrong part of the story.

Point is, lots of fans already see a Sunbelt/C-USA reorganization is needed. Some administrators think a reorganization needs to happen. About 2 of them openly talk about a reorganization needing to happen. The rest have their heads in the sand and need to be SHOWN. Ultimately, my point is a temporary scheduling agreement might be just the thing that shows the laggards what a re-org could be.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:52 pm

Both could benefit, but CUSA needs realignment more than the SBC.

La Tech's unwillingness to be in a conference with ULM is a problem.

FXUs on an island poses a problem for the eastern members that want a tighter footprint.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:02 pm

The F_U's will have to go independent willingly. Despite being out there on an island I just don't see any scenario where they walk away from conference affiliation. So many lawsuits would be filed.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:04 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:42 pm
appst89 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:13 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

8th on the list...8th out of 8. Focusing on the wrong part of the story.

Point is, lots of fans already see a Sunbelt/C-USA reorganization is needed. Some administrators think a reorganization needs to happen. About 2 of them openly talk about a reorganization needing to happen. The rest have their heads in the sand and need to be SHOWN. Ultimately, my point is a temporary scheduling agreement might be just the thing that shows the laggards what a re-org could be.
No, that was just the part of the story on which I wished to comment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”