Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB vs Georgia Southern Discussion (1/8 6pm & 1/9 4pm)

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB vs Georgia Southern Discussion (1/8 6pm & 1/9 4pm)

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:52 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:08 pm
hapapp wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:21 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:23 pm
hapapp wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:55 pm
While its great to be 3-1 in Belt play, its worth noting that we sweep those two teams last year. It's obviously a dangerous approach to trail by substantial margins each game. Its a testament to our guys that they have the confidence that they can come back but you can't make a living playing that way.

That said, I would rather be 3-1 than 1-3 at this point.
Worth noting if you count the loss of Lewis that we lost four of five starters from last years team.
Worth noting that both teams are picked to finish below us in the standings. GS lost virtually everyone off their squad from last year. The point is we beat two of the weaker teams in league at home. Its not a criticism because the level of play is well beyond what it was just two years ago. Any time you can play defense, you have a chance. Sweeping a 1-3 USA on the road may give us a better sense of where things stand within the Belt.
Glass half empty again Hap.

It’s going to be ok, Kerns is a good coach, we have good players. It’s ok to celebrate these wins and have hope for the season.
I didn't say otherwise. We took advantage of the schedule we were given. I certainly acknowledged the improved level of play and the defensive prowess of the team. I also realistically pointed out that these two were not likely top half clubs. I based that on the fact that Troy has been down the last couple of years (but as pointed out Cross is a proven coach) and GS has a new staff and a totally new lineup. You say glass half full, I say just being cautiously optimistic based on our history.

With this start the team the team has put itself in a position to contend but we may find out more of where we stand over the next two weeks with our first road trip to USA and then return to the HCC the next week to play GA State.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:55 am

I have a hard time finding much fault with a 3-1 start to conference play. This is as good a start as any in last decade and half of men’s Bball. Hopefully the team carries it through USA. I don’t read much into the preseason predictions for Sunbelt play other then UALR being competitive for the regular season title.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:02 am

We did start 3-1 in conference last year with 2 of those wins on the road. So our start last year was as good as this year to date. (We then proceeded to lose three straight). Not sure why folks are so defensive about suggesting we not get ahead of ourselves. Given the improvement in play of several of our guys over last year is reason for optimism. My point was that the next couple of weekends will give us a better idea of where we are in the contention to be top dog in the East. At the moment, it looks like App, Coastal, and GA State are the best in the East. We can solidify that with a good performance in Mobile this weekend and a good homestand versus GA State the next.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:48 am

I don't think Hapapp is being glass half empty, he is being a realist. Southern and Troy are easily the bottom two teams in the Sun Belt east and based on our roster, coaching staff, and the success of last season we should expect 3-1 or better to start out conference play. Southern was without their leading scorer in the second game as well (yes I know we were down Lewis both games).

I understand the frustrations of the last staff, but I feel weird trashing them on here considering they are the ones that brought us Gregory, Delph, James Lewis, Forrest, etc. I am happy that Kerns has turned those guys into winners in such short time, but these are some of the most talented players App State basketball has ever had. People have made the Drinkwitz was handed the keys to a ferrari comparison on here, I'd be willing to say Kerns was handed the keys to something similar, the vehicle just needed a new engine and a couple other parts fine tuned and Kerns was the perfect mechanic to fix it up!

This weekend on the road will be a true test to where we stand. USA is 1-3 in conference, but are much better than their record indicates. The caliber of players they bring in on the transfer market is something we should strive for. Michael Flowers was a 1k+ scorer and All Mac player at Western Michigan and he is leading the way for South Alabama in scoring. Their leading rebounder is a grad transfer PF from SE Okla St. Richie Riley, like Kerns, will probably be a hot commodity to be snatched up by a P5/bigger school at some point. Looking forward to the match up!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:23 pm

If memory serves South Ally was one of the preseason favorites to compete for the championship. Otherwise none of our current roster would crack our all-time best five , or ten. There was some raw talent leftover that has improved dramatically since last season. The program however , was in shambles and disarray prior to DK arriving.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:27 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:23 pm
If memory serves South Ally was one of the preseason favorites to compete for the championship. Otherwise none of our current roster would crack our all-time best five , or ten. There was some raw talent leftover that has improved dramatically since last season. The program however , was in shambles and disarray prior to DK arriving.
just curious....who would land on your all time top 5? I'm assuming some from the Cremins era, as well as Buzz's first stint.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:34 pm

Hmmm...Marshall Phillips , Tyson Patterson,Tony Searcy, DJ Thompson,Junior Braswell , Daryl Robinson ...Rufus Leach ,Wade Capehart,Charles Payton ,Walter Anderson and Donald Sims come to mind....
Last edited by Stonewall on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:35 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:23 pm
If the program was in shambles a 1 year turn around could not be possible unless there was mass roster turnover / changes in my opinion. The talent was there and is still
continuing to improve under Kerns and co.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:47 pm

I'm creating a thread for this weekend's South Alabama thread. Feel free to move discussion of the USA series there.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:55 pm

"Shambles and disarray".

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:42 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:52 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:08 pm
hapapp wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:21 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:23 pm
hapapp wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:55 pm
While its great to be 3-1 in Belt play, its worth noting that we sweep those two teams last year. It's obviously a dangerous approach to trail by substantial margins each game. Its a testament to our guys that they have the confidence that they can come back but you can't make a living playing that way.

That said, I would rather be 3-1 than 1-3 at this point.
Worth noting if you count the loss of Lewis that we lost four of five starters from last years team.
Worth noting that both teams are picked to finish below us in the standings. GS lost virtually everyone off their squad from last year. The point is we beat two of the weaker teams in league at home. Its not a criticism because the level of play is well beyond what it was just two years ago. Any time you can play defense, you have a chance. Sweeping a 1-3 USA on the road may give us a better sense of where things stand within the Belt.
Glass half empty again Hap.

It’s going to be ok, Kerns is a good coach, we have good players. It’s ok to celebrate these wins and have hope for the season.
I didn't say otherwise. We took advantage of the schedule we were given. I certainly acknowledged the improved level of play and the defensive prowess of the team. I also realistically pointed out that these two were not likely top half clubs. I based that on the fact that Troy has been down the last couple of years (but as pointed out Cross is a proven coach) and GS has a new staff and a totally new lineup. You say glass half full, I say just being cautiously optimistic based on our history.

With this start the team the team has put itself in a position to contend but we may find out more of where we stand over the next two weeks with our first road trip to USA and then return to the HCC the next week to play GA State.
I agree. I'm just jaded after so many seasons of <.500 play that anytime the team is over .500 I'm ecstatic. I think the assessments of the teams play and schedule so far are fair. They've done a good job getting to 3-1 and if they're able sweep USA this weekend for a 5-1 start, they'll be in a nice spot for one of the Top 2 seeds in the west.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”