Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB General Expectations

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

MBB General Expectations

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:37 am

We talked about this on our radio show here in Greenville referring to Clemson and SC (stating that both should make the NCAA tournament every other year). But I’d love to spark the debate about App State basketball.

What should our general expectations be year over year? Being +.500? Making the NCAA tournament every 3rd or 4th year? Making at least *A* post season tournament every year?

With the Sunbelt being a 1 bid league making the tournament requires a SBC tournament championship, so what do we expect?
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

BambooRdApp

Re: MBB General Expectations

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:03 pm

That is a great question. In basketball, mid-majors can do well as the number of players needed is much less as compared to football. Gonzaga, Davidson, Butler (with several coaches), Creighton to name a few.
App is a long way from these programs.
However, the expectation should be a winning season most every year with NCAA or NIT bids sprinkled in for some years.

If we get a coach, like Mark Few, that wants to be at App like he does at Gonzaga, App would be a NCAA tourney selection most years. I realize getting a Mark Few is like seeing a unicorn. He may be the only only one at a mid major that stays at the mid major entire career. Since he has demonstrated success, I am sure Gonzaga compensates him (and Nike, Adidas, whomever).... That would be very nice for us.

But my goal, as stated above, would be winning seasons most years with some NCAA and NIT bids
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:08 pm

I think that we should to strive to put ourselves into the conversation for the SBC bid on a consistent basis. The definition of consistency can vary from fan to fan. To me, if we are an upper division team most years, then I think that we put ourselves in the conversation for the bid.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Agree, my *goal* (can't say I *expect* it yet) is to have a consistent winner that's in, say, the top 4-6 of the league most years, with semi-regular years in the top 2-3. If you do that consistently over time, you'll likely win your share of titles, and you'll also build interest with fans and recruits and start to be able to schedule better.

I always tell people I am spoiled because my four years at App were the years of Buzz's first stint. We had a .500 team the first year and then three straight years of 20+ wins, finishing first or second in the SoCon and playing in the conference title game. For my college experience, basketball was actually a bigger deal than football. So it's hard for me to accept that App just can't succeed in hoops.

Like everything else, though, our financial constraints - even relative to our peers - handicap us.

zim262

Unread post by zim262 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:55 pm

What should our general expectations be year over year?

A culture of expecting to win games rather than hoping to win games?

The rest will take care of itself, i.e. ASU football.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:57 pm

zim262 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:55 pm
What should our general expectations be year over year?

A culture of expecting to win games rather than hoping to win games?

The rest will take care of itself, i.e. ASU football.
There is much truth in this simplistic statement.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”