Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sunbelt Tournament Rnd 3 vs Coastal Carolina (Sunday 9pm)

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: Sunbelt Tournament Rnd 3 vs Coastal Carolina (Sunday 9pm)

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:54 am

the foul was the correct thing to do - a fraction of a second earlier would have been ideal - that being said, that was not a shooting foul - terrible call by the ref - he couldn't pass the ball to anyone without bringing the ball up so it was an assumption that he was going to shoot instead of passing the ball by that ref - the ref made an assumption of what he thought was going to happen. Maybe it was going to be a shot (which I think it probably was) but the whistle was blown before it was any form of shot ---

Now at the end of the regulation with 8-9 seconds left I didn't understand the thinking behind slowing bringing the ball up and calling a TO near half court with 3-4 seconds and then setting up a 35 ft shot for the win? ---

Looks like people like Seattle just can't help themselves in attacking players (just like football) personally - THAT IS SICK !!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppHoops
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppHoops » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:01 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:26 am
AppFan11 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:07 am
The foul by Forest at the end of regulation, once ball got over half court, coach Kerns was yelling to foul. I thought the foul was prior to the act of shooting. The “act” of the attempt to shoot, was akin to flopping....... should have been a two shot foul.
We had a foul to give at that point, should have been a no shot foul
Yea I always get nervous when a team uses their foul to give at the end of regulation because the other team could easily do what Coastal did and feign a shot to get the free throws. Never should have come to that though. Horrible game awareness by the officials.

Also can we talk about how Coastal was able to intentionally foul RJ at the end of OT after the ball was in play and in Delph's hands? That's not allowed either lol.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:27 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:33 am
Gregory struggled from the field but had 8 steals in the game including the last play of the game. Not to mention 14 boards and 6 assists. Apparently the first person in D1 in a decade to do that.
He just seems like a high IQ, opportunistic player. He knows how he can impact the game even if he’s not scoring. He has been more of a facilitator all year and knows that Delph, Forrest, and Almonacy are the shooters. I love how Kerns uses him in the middle/high post where he can back a defender down and/or kick out to shooters. Gregory is willing to do whatever it takes to win. We are very fortunate to have a guy with that mindset....and while I’m talking about a Swiss Army knife-type player, I don’t agree that we would have been any better off had K. Lewis stuck around. I’m wondering if team chemistry was worse with him around.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:32 am

AppHoops wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:01 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:26 am
AppFan11 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:07 am
The foul by Forest at the end of regulation, once ball got over half court, coach Kerns was yelling to foul. I thought the foul was prior to the act of shooting. The “act” of the attempt to shoot, was akin to flopping....... should have been a two shot foul.
We had a foul to give at that point, should have been a no shot foul
Yea I always get nervous when a team uses their foul to give at the end of regulation because the other team could easily do what Coastal did and feign a shot to get the free throws. Never should have come to that though. Horrible game awareness by the officials.

Also can we talk about how Coastal was able to intentionally foul RJ at the end of OT after the ball was in play and in Delph's hands? That's not allowed either lol.
Yep, the coastal coaching staff apparently told the refs who they were going to foul. Refs pretty much had the whistle blown before the ball was in play. The coaches should not have that much influence over the refs’ decisions.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:38 am

AppHoops wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:01 am
That is allowed -- it's just a two shot penalty regardless of location or number of fouls. Since Coastal was in double bonus anyway, it didn't matter. That was just a good coaching decision by Ellis.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:42 am

Isn't an intentional foul 2 shots (what we would have had anyway) + the ball out of bounds???
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:52 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:42 am
Isn't an intentional foul 2 shots (what we would have had anyway) + the ball out of bounds???
I agree. If that is allowed in that situation simply grab the worst FT shooter on the floor immediately and don’t allow any time to tick off and don’t let a good shooter get the ball. Was that the same crew who allowed the throw the ball in off our guys back, jump in the air, catch the ball and shoot the layup? How in the world was that play neither argued or reviewed must less waived off? That’s some crap us old guys pull on our kids in pickup games.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:53 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Nope. An intentional foul is only called when stopping a fast break (i.e. nobody between the ball and the basket and fouled from behind).

In this case, it was just an off-ball foul. The penalty for that is two free throws regardless of team fouls, location, or shooting motion of the offensive player. I honestly don't know what the rule is if he was fouled before the ball was thrown in. I know it used to be a technical, but those rules have changed since my officiating days.

**EDIT** Just looked it up. Had RJ been fouled before the ball was thrown in, it is a Flagrant 1 so two shots and the ball. Since, the ball was in, it's just an off ball foul akin to holding a player curling around a screen the defender can't get around. It would be a two shot penalty.
tAPPedInSports.net

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:01 am

We lost out on a couple of "no calls" at critical points .Forest was fouled on a missed layup and Duq was mugged over the back on a rebound late in regulation.The play right before the half??? In any event we dug deep , very deep. Tonight it will take more. Four games , plus OTs , in four nights. James Lewis?

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:03 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:53 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Nope. An intentional foul is only called when stopping a fast break (i.e. nobody between the ball and the basket and fouled from behind).

In this case, it was just an off-ball foul. The penalty for that is two free throws regardless of team fouls, location, or shooting motion of the offensive player. I honestly don't know what the rule is if he was fouled before the ball was thrown in. I know it used to be a technical, but those rules have changed since my officiating days.

**EDIT** Just looked it up. Had RJ been fouled before the ball was thrown in, it is a Flagrant 1 so two shots and the ball. Since, the ball was in, it's just an off ball foul akin to holding a player curling around a screen the defender can't get around. It would be a two shot penalty.
Thanks ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:10 am

proasu89 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:51 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:19 pm
Does Forrest have money on these games
Ignorant as ....
I bet you are fun at party’s. It was a joke because the last two nights he was involved in every pivotal aspect of the game on both ends. But yes I meant he was literally shaving points. So yes you are ignorant as .....

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:13 am

I am happy....We are in a title game..........I will not comment during the game tonight. I intend to enjoy it while a couple of "I told you so's" are queing up ther negative comments.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:29 am

We should tell RJ to just stand at the opposite foul line in those situations.

Only players we want to shoot FTs can move near the ball.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:34 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:29 am
We should tell RJ to just stand at the opposite foul line in those situations.

Only players we want to shoot FTs can move near the ball.
Wouldn't have made a difference. They left Delph wide open on purpose. Regardless of where RJ is, they'd do the same thing -- leave a guard wide open, as soon as he touches it, foul the worst FT shooter.
tAPPedInSports.net

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:45 am

I must admit that that is a good strategy until AppStateNews corrected me I was entirely under the impression if a player was grabbed like that it was an intentional with shots and ball - and I'm thinking that every coach knows who to foul/not foul on the other team why don't I see this more often??? I didn't realize once the ball had been inbounded it was nothing more than a regular foul. I bet we will see this used as we go thru March Madness ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:52 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:45 am
I must admit that that is a good strategy until AppStateNews corrected me I was entirely under the impression if a player was grabbed like that it was an intentional with shots and ball - and I'm thinking that every coach knows who to foul/not foul on the other team why don't I see this more often??? I didn't realize once the ball had been inbounded it was nothing more than a regular foul. I bet we will see this used as we go thru March Madness ---
Yeah I was in the same boat as you. Most teams would counter by simply taking out someone like Duhart and putting their best ballhandling/FT shooting players on the court. Our problem is our backup guards are all bad shooters. If Lewis were available we'd probably have him out there.

CJ Huntley is actually 19/21 on the year, but I guess they don't want to put a little-used freshman in that type of pressure situation after not playing all night.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:55 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:45 am
To be fair, it is up to the refs discretion on if it's a flagrant foul. That said, you would be hard pressed to find a ref that's going to call that. All the defensive team has to say is "he beat me on the cut so I had to hold him" and that is a valid argument.

Earlier I said the intentional foul was only called on the fast break. While, that is not in the rule book, that is when it will most likely be called. It can be called elsewhere, you just won't see it in many places (if ever). In fact, in the rule book, it doesn't even mention intentional foul. They are all classified as Flagrant 1s.
tAPPedInSports.net

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:03 am

This is the rulebook from 2018-19, but assuming it hasn't changed since then, the definitions of a flagrant 1 include:

- "Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting"

and

- "Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting"

(p. 46)

Looks to me like both of those, especially the second, are exactly what they did.

http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/cpr/ ... _rules.pdf

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:08 am

"Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting"

This is why you have RJ stand at the opposite FT line and don't move.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:08 am

I swear I made that last post before I saw that Strelow just tweeted the same thing:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”