Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA-T: Norfolk State (Thursday 3/18)

Cro-Magnon App
School: Appalachian State

Re: NCAA-T: Norfolk State (Thursday 3/18)

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:54 pm

Gonzaga ...... just another opportunity ...... like Michigan.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:34 pm

I'm assuming a win over Gonzaga would be more probable than our win over Michigan, right?

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:38 pm

appvette wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:34 pm
I'm assuming a win over Gonzaga would be more probable than our win over Michigan, right?
MORE probable?? No way!

Michigan was the first game of the season Gonzaga's gone a whole regular season as an undefeated team, and, is favored to finish it off by winning the Big Dance. I'd say a win (with a 17-11 record) over an undefeated favorite would be the much bigger upset.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:37 pm

MountaineerMafia wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:38 pm
appvette wrote:
MORE probable?? No way!

Michigan was the first game of the season Gonzaga's gone a whole regular season as an undefeated team, and, is favored to finish it off by winning the Big Dance. I'd say a win (with a 17-11 record) over an undefeated favorite would be the much bigger upset.
Yeah, but Michigan was a top pick to win the title that year and we were a subdivision lower with less scholarships, coaches, etc. In basketball, we're talking about 2 tournament teams with the same number of scholarships. And that same upset just recently happened over #1 Virginia.

Besides, in basketball, one player can get hot and hit a ton of 3s and win the game. A single player can't dominate in football like that.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:31 am

appvette wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:37 pm
MountaineerMafia wrote:
appvette wrote:
MORE probable?? No way!

Yeah, but Michigan was a top pick to win the title that year and we were a subdivision lower with less scholarships, coaches, etc. In basketball, we're talking about 2 tournament teams with the same number of scholarships. And that same upset just recently happened over #1 Virginia.

Besides, in basketball, one player can get hot and hit a ton of 3s and win the game. A single player can't dominate in football like that.
I’m not sure it would overtake Michigan but it’d be damn close.

First let me say, none of this matters if we lose tomorrow night, so let’s hope the players/coaches are focused on a great Norfolk State team and not Gonzaga.

That said, Gonzaga is the CONSENSUS favorite to win the National Championship. They are the overall #1 team in the tournament and undefeated. That #1 seed Virginia team was good but they weren’t a heavy favorite like the Zags.

A win over Gonzaga by this App team would be among the top 3 greatest upsets in NCAA history, maybe only second to Chaminade over Virginia. Let’s win tomorrow night and then do some dreaming.
YNWA

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:00 am

GAMEDAY. LET'S GO APP. ST.!!!
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:40 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:00 am
GAMEDAY. LET'S GO APP. ST.!!!
Flags are up at the house and sporting the black and gold at work. (flag may come down at lunch though with these dang storms coming through, you guys be aware, it's likely a little sporty this afternoon)

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:59 am

appvette wrote:
MountaineerMafia wrote:
appvette wrote:
MORE probable?? No way!

Totally agree, but darn if Armanti didn't look like it on several occasions. Heck. at one time or another, he practically did everything but snap the ball, punt, or kick. Just sayin"
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:00 am

If you have not read Almonacy’s Tribune statement on the official website, you should.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:07 am

MountaineerMafia wrote:
appvette wrote:
MORE probable?? No way!

History would prove you wrong. Beating Gonzaga would not be an historical accomplishment, it'd just a big upset. It's not going to re-write the record books and upset all precedent. There is no basketball equivalent of what happened in Michigan in 2007.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:15 am

Score predictions?

App 73 - NSU 67

NSU has been able to score this season, an average somewhere in the low 80s (didn’t actually do the math, just read through their scores and did a quick mental median). But our defense has played really well lately. I think we hold them well below their average.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:28 am

69 - 64 App. Looks like they have one guy who does most of their damage. Leads them in scoring, rebounds, assists as a guard. Lock him down and make some 3s. Stay out of foul trouble. I like our chances. Coach Kerns will have a solid game plan in place. Let's go guys!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:38 am

Stair-climbers 85
Elevator-riders 81 in 2OTs

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:59 am
appvette wrote:
MountaineerMafia wrote:
appvette wrote:
MORE probable?? No way!

Totally agree, but darn if Armanti didn't look like it on several occasions. Heck. at one time or another, he practically did everything but snap the ball, punt, or kick. Just sayin"
He did have the one play where you caught his own pass and then ran it down the field for a nice gain.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:54 am

Appsolutely wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:00 am
If you have not read Almonacy’s Tribune statement on the official website, you should.
"I made the decision to come to App State, and looking back at it, it’s the best decision I’ve ever made."
"Then I come to App State, and dreams are coming true, "

What more can be said.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:59 am

I woke up excited...........for the game, not what you guys were going to respond with!!!

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:00 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 am
NewApp wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:59 am
appvette wrote:
MountaineerMafia wrote:
appvette wrote:
MORE probable?? No way!

He did have the one play where you caught his own pass and then ran it down the field for a nice gain.
That was DP at UTC

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am

fjblair wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:07 am
MountaineerMafia wrote:
appvette wrote:
MORE probable?? No way!

History would prove you wrong. Beating Gonzaga would not be an historical accomplishment, it'd just a big upset. It's not going to re-write the record books and upset all precedent. There is no basketball equivalent of what happened in Michigan in 2007.
Disagree with all of this. If us beating Gonzaga wouldn't be a "historical accomplishment," then that phrase has no meaning.

There's only one precedent, because it happened for the first time ever three years ago. And that game was every bit as iconic as us beating Michigan.

And winning in the NCAA Tournament is a bigger deal than winning in week 1 of the regular season.

As far as which was/would be a bigger upset, my guess is the line on the game, should we win tonight, would be pretty similar to the Michigan game (I think we were something like +37 in that one?).

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:11 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:15 am
Score predictions?

App 73 - NSU 67

NSU has been able to score this season, an average somewhere in the low 80s (didn’t actually do the math, just read through their scores and did a quick mental median). But our defense has played really well lately. I think we hold them well below their average.
Sounds about right to me.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:36 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am
fjblair wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:07 am
MountaineerMafia wrote:
appvette wrote:
MORE probable?? No way!

Disagree with all of this. If us beating Gonzaga wouldn't be a "historical accomplishment," then that phrase has no meaning.

There's only one precedent, because it happened for the first time ever three years ago. And that game was every bit as iconic as us beating Michigan.

And winning in the NCAA Tournament is a bigger deal than winning in week 1 of the regular season.

As far as which was/would be a bigger upset, my guess is the line on the game, should we win tonight, would be pretty similar to the Michigan game (I think we were something like +37 in that one?).
Comparing beating Michigan and (possibly) beating Gonzaga is comparing apples to oranges. Both would be historical, program defining upsets. However, beating Gonzaga is FAR more statistically improbable than beating Michigan.
Looking back at the Michigan win, it wasn't THAT much of an upset. Michigan was a decent team that year, but far from a title contender. App won the FCS title that year. Michigan and App played on the first week of the season; therefore, there was nothing to base the teams on other than the previous season, which doesn't really do any good.

Gonzaga is undefeated, the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament, and a favorite to win the whole thing. App didn't even win their regular season conference title. Only once in the ENTIRE history of the NCAA tournament has a #1 seed lost to a #16 seed. In ALL of college basketball- men's, women's, NCAA, NIT- a #16 seed has beat a #1 seed only twice. Ever.

So, statistically speaking, beating Gonzaga in basketball this year would be a bigger upset than beating Michigan in football. Will it have the same cultural weight and impact on the school? I don't know.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”