Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA-T: Norfolk State (Thursday 3/18)

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Re: NCAA-T: Norfolk State (Thursday 3/18)

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:40 am

☝🏻
🙄
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:47 pm

Nobody predicted UMBC to beat UVA, however it was known that UVA didn't have high scoring games and heavily depended on their defense. They weren't undefeated and other teams had shown how to beat them. UMBC shot well, played their own great defense, and UVA just didn't have the offense to keep up. Gonzaga is a complete team in every aspect. They're also undefeated, so in my opinion should we win tonight then upset Gonzaga it would be a bigger deal than when UVA lost. I'm not sure it would shock the nation the way we did when we beat Michigan, but that's mainly because it's no longer something that's never been done, and in general people are not as into sports at the moment, mainly because of Covid and lack of fans loses the luster. Definitely not compared to opening week of a football season.

I think App State wins tonight and we cover the 3.5 spread. I'm definitely excited to watch.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:15 pm

I find it funny that this topic has gone the route of which would be bigger but I guess we need to fill time. It’s really all perspective in my opinion as to which would be the more monumental win. Back in 2007 App guys knew that we had some serious talent and lots of team speed. We also knew that the biggest obstacles would be the intimidation of the Big House and the differences in the lines. Realistic App folks didn’t really give us much of a chance although I won a coke from a coworker who was a Michigan grad. We didn’t really consider ourselves some tiny mountain school like others did but the win was still huge and has obviously been discussed a million times, especially by the media when we appeared on TV for many games over the years.

Should we win tonight and then take down Gonzaga we will lose our minds, sports talk will go bananas and we will join that tiny club of giant killers. The major obstacle that will be tough to overcome is size and our lack of any inside or post game. I’m reminded of the UT game this season where it was an absolute struggle to even get the ball over half court and at times to even get off a shot. Hopefully tonight we play fast and loose and then after the win we don’t have the deer in the headlights against the Zags.

BaritoneNC

Unread post by BaritoneNC » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:22 pm

Right now I'm just focused on the "win tonight" part. Especially with the talking heads seemingly all picking Norfolk St. Though, as to be expected, most of their "analysis" is on the surface at best.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:36 pm

NSU does have some decent out of conference wins which we didn't garner. Doesn't mean they win but I do anticipate a very competitive game.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:37 pm

Yeah I'm not one to scold people for looking ahead, but this isn't a #BeatETSU situation. We're playing our third NCAA Tournament game ever tonight, it's a virtual toss-up, and the season's going to end for somebody. So that's really where my mind is today.

I like our chances, but I don't expect it to be easy. I think it'll be another game that we have to close out strong in the last minute.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:43 pm

Be sure and know how you're watching the game since it's on TruTV. I've downloaded it and think I'm good to go. I been known to throw my house into a panic situation if a game feed isn't working or the channel isn't available or something and it's game time...

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:47 pm

I was in that arena 42 years ago...

TurfMonkey

Unread post by TurfMonkey » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:22 pm

As a mid 80's App alum, I would like to say nothing that happens tonight will
make me mad. Very proud and excited today.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:43 pm

I’ll be completely honest I’m nervous but at the same time pumped beyond belief.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:10 pm

Pre-game motivational Video. Let's go App. St.!!
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:13 pm

App being in the tourney is special so I'm sparing no expense tonight...rolling to Denny's for a large pregame meal before tip-off.

Should be a fun game to watch. And Norfolk State isn't an "easy out" by any stretch of the imagination. I've promised myself I won't shout or throw furniture, no matter what.

OTOH, prime time TV + start of tournament = lots of viewers...and probably some nervous players. So this game could start ugly before everyone settles down.

SLOANASU

Unread post by SLOANASU » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:17 pm

I just got a call from my mother. She was worried that she wouldn't be able to watch because she doesn't have TRU TV. Reminder to all the moms out there that all the games are on the March Madness Live app. This concludes my PSA. Go App!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:31 pm

appvette wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:00 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 am
NewApp wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:59 am
appvette wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:37 pm
MountaineerMafia wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:38 pm

MORE probable?? No way!

Michigan was the first game of the season Gonzaga's gone a whole regular season as an undefeated team, and, is favored to finish it off by winning the Big Dance. I'd say a win (with a 17-11 record) over an undefeated favorite would be the much bigger upset.
Yeah, but Michigan was a top pick to win the title that year and we were a subdivision lower with less scholarships, coaches, etc. In basketball, we're talking about 2 tournament teams with the same number of scholarships. And that same upset just recently happened over #1 Virginia.

Besides, in basketball, one player can get hot and hit a ton of 3s and win the game. A single player can't dominate in football like that.
Totally agree, but darn if Armanti didn't look like it on several occasions. Heck. at one time or another, he practically did everything but snap the ball, punt, or kick. Just sayin"
He did have the one play where you caught his own pass and then ran it down the field for a nice gain.
That was DP at UTC
Are you sure it was not both? I was thinking AE did that at KBS.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:12 pm

It appears our radio/internet audio team is not doing a broadcast but directing one to the Westwood one link. A shame they can't at least do some sort of pre-game show for 30 minutes before the game.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:34 pm

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:31 pm
appvette wrote:
NewApp wrote:
appvette wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:37 pm

Yeah, but Michigan was a top pick to win the title that year and we were a subdivision lower with less scholarships, coaches, etc. In basketball, we're talking about 2 tournament teams with the same number of scholarships. And that same upset just recently happened over #1 Virginia.

Besides, in basketball, one player can get hot and hit a ton of 3s and win the game. A single player can't dominate in football like that.
Totally agree, but darn if Armanti didn't look like it on several occasions. Heck. at one time or another, he practically did everything but snap the ball, punt, or kick. Just sayin"
He did have the one play where you caught his own pass and then ran it down the field for a nice gain.
That was DP at UTC
Maybe you're thinking of the crazy rain game against Samford when he fumbled, picked it up, avoided 100 tackles, then passed it for a first down

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:38 pm

appvette wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:34 pm
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:31 pm
appvette wrote:
NewApp wrote:

That was DP at UTC
Maybe you're thinking of the crazy rain game against Samford when he fumbled, picked it up, avoided 100 tackles, then passed it for a first down
I think you are correct and actually even better than catching a batted football.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:03 pm

SLOANASU wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:17 pm
I just got a call from my mother. She was worried that she wouldn't be able to watch because she doesn't have TRU TV. Reminder to all the moms out there that all the games are on the March Madness Live app. This concludes my PSA. Go App!
I thought this game was supposed to give us national exposure, lol. TRU RV? Give me a break.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:06 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am
fjblair wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:07 am
MountaineerMafia wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:38 pm
appvette wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:34 pm
I'm assuming a win over Gonzaga would be more probable than our win over Michigan, right?
MORE probable?? No way!

Michigan was the first game of the season Gonzaga's gone a whole regular season as an undefeated team, and, is favored to finish it off by winning the Big Dance. I'd say a win (with a 17-11 record) over an undefeated favorite would be the much bigger upset.
History would prove you wrong. Beating Gonzaga would not be an historical accomplishment, it'd just a big upset. It's not going to re-write the record books and upset all precedent. There is no basketball equivalent of what happened in Michigan in 2007.
Disagree with all of this. If us beating Gonzaga wouldn't be a "historical accomplishment," then that phrase has no meaning.

There's only one precedent, because it happened for the first time ever three years ago. And that game was every bit as iconic as us beating Michigan.

And winning in the NCAA Tournament is a bigger deal than winning in week 1 of the regular season.

As far as which was/would be a bigger upset, my guess is the line on the game, should we win tonight, would be pretty similar to the Michigan game (I think we were something like +37 in that one?).
Your welcome to your opinion of course. I never said it wouldn't be historical, it just doesn't compare. Top ranked bb teams lose to teams that never sniff the tournament almost every year. If ASU would have beat Gonzaga four weeks ago, nobody remembers. Do you remember who beat Virginia in the tournament? I don't. Upsets happen in the NCAA tournament practically every single day. Its' five on five, anything can happen. Every footrball fan in America knows App State beat Michigan.
Last edited by fjblair on Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:08 pm

fjblair wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:03 pm
SLOANASU wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:17 pm
I thought this game was supposed to give us national exposure, lol. TRU RV? Give me a break.
There are a lot of eyes on us friend don’t worry. A win would put us on a stage that can’t be duplicated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”