Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Transfer Portal

NavyApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Transfer Portal

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:18 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:06 pm
I have varying degrees of thought on this one. First I tend to believe that if a college kid wants to transfer to another school let him go. That being said it doesn’t thrill me to see this ridiculous number of kids moving around. I get tired of when watching a game hearing a player referred to as “Wake transfer” so and so- who is now playing for a new school. Who cares where a guy used to go? I don’t.

I would hate to be a coach who has dedicated time, resources and emotional expense to bring a young person into my program only to (usually) see him get butt-hurt after a year or so because he isn’t getting what he believes is adequate playing time or doesn’t “fit” the system. Now if a young man isn’t happy with certain academic aspects of the school he is attending and needs to find a different school that is another issue (big laughing emoji and high degrees of sarcasm). Of these over 900 folks how many will actually improve their stock enough to parlay it into a paying pro career? I’m guessing very few.
I'd hate to be a player who has dedicated time, resources, emotional expenses and not get paid only to boost a coach's resume and have him move on to a bigger better job with zero consequences or restrictions. It is a bit ridiculous that there are this many players in the portal right now, but this is a strange year. These young people are fed lies and the coaching profession(especially in the CBB ranks) is full of self serving snakes and dirt bags who could care less about these young people.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:57 pm

Mid Majors are gonna benefit the most from the transfer portal frenzy this off season, despite popular belief that high major / P5 schools will just "poach all the good MM players"

Exhibit A in the Sun belt tonight, already two big transfers coming to our conference...

South Alabama landed Jay Jay Chandler from Texas A&M, a former 4 star recruit according to ESPN. 8 ppg this past year. A lengthy PG at 6'4.

Coastal Carolina lands Rudi Williams from Kansas State. 5 ppg this past year at KSU, was a juco product prior to K. State. Averaged 21 ppg 9 apg and 2.7 spg the year prior in JuCo.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:25 pm

It goes both ways

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:34 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:25 pm
It goes both ways
That’s what she said
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:33 pm

HurricaneYosef wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:57 pm
Mid Majors are gonna benefit the most from the transfer portal frenzy this off season, despite popular belief that high major / P5 schools will just "poach all the good MM players"

Exhibit A in the Sun belt tonight, already two big transfers coming to our conference...

South Alabama landed Jay Jay Chandler from Texas A&M, a former 4 star recruit according to ESPN. 8 ppg this past year. A lengthy PG at 6'4.

Coastal Carolina lands Rudi Williams from Kansas State. 5 ppg this past year at KSU, was a juco product prior to K. State. Averaged 21 ppg 9 apg and 2.7 spg the year prior in JuCo.
Sounds like two struggling role players on sub-.500 high-majors going to a lower level where they hope they can thrive.

I wouldn't say that means mid-majors will benefit "the most," but it is probably indicative of the way the portal will work - players finding their level, whether it's moving up or moving down.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:47 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:06 pm
I have varying degrees of thought on this one. First I tend to believe that if a college kid wants to transfer to another school let him go. That being said it doesn’t thrill me to see this ridiculous number of kids moving around. I get tired of when watching a game hearing a player referred to as “Wake transfer” so and so- who is now playing for a new school. Who cares where a guy used to go? I don’t.

I would hate to be a coach who has dedicated time, resources and emotional expense to bring a young person into my program only to (usually) see him get butt-hurt after a year or so because he isn’t getting what he believes is adequate playing time or doesn’t “fit” the system. Now if a young man isn’t happy with certain academic aspects of the school he is attending and needs to find a different school that is another issue (big laughing emoji and high degrees of sarcasm). Of these over 900 folks how many will actually improve their stock enough to parlay it into a paying pro career? I’m guessing very few.
You get the players like Mac McClung who transfer to improve their exposure to being drafted by playing for a bigger name program in a bigger name conference, but most in that portal know they won't go pro and that these are likely the final years they will play competitive basketball. After dedicating a large part of their lives to the sport, I can't blame them for wanting to leave in efforts to gain more playing time at another school. Being a student athlete is a major commitment. Attending class, traveling for road games, practices, work outs, etc...it's a lot of time to put in, and to do all of that just to see your minutes reduced, or not have playing time a coach sold you on during recruiting, it would definitely suck. This will be the new norm, better to just accept it.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:59 pm

I should have mentioned above South Alabama is loading their roster with players form the portal

Greg Parham from VMI is transferring there. 18 ppg 2:1 A:TO ratio 43.5% from deep last year for VMI

Tyrell Jones. 4 star PG out of HS. 11 mpg in 7 games last year. opted out mid season.

Charles Manning, Jr. a G/F from LSU. Opted out mid year this season. 8 ppg 2 years ago. 17 ppg in juco the year before

Diante Smith a PF from TCU. another mid year opt out. 13 mpg his freshman year

Lance Thomas former 4 star Louisville commit. Transferring from Memphis. started 13 games for memphis 2 years ago

I'll try and keep other notable sun belt transfers updated in this thread
Last edited by HurricaneYosef on Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:07 pm

There are surely a large number of guys on here who have been told by the coaching staff that they need to move on. Seniors deciding to come back for another year and plug and play players in the portal will knock the middle to end of bench guys off scholarship
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:41 pm

UT Arlington lands former Michigan State walk on Jack Hoiberg (son of Fred Hoiberg)

was a 2 star recruit in HS

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:15 pm

Almonacy back!

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:02 pm

I'm fine with new transfer rules, but wish they would add just one caveot, not a big one. No inter-conf tranfers. Other issue with this is, nowadays if a player doesnt start out of the gates, he'll transfer. Player used to battle for a position, now they just bail

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:02 pm

yosef95 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:02 pm
I'm fine with new transfer rules, but wish they would add just one caveot, not a big one. No inter-conf tranfers. Other issue with this is, nowadays if a player doesnt start out of the gates, he'll transfer. Player used to battle for a position, now they just bail
I would politely disagree with every bit of this. First to your point about no inter-conf transfers: conferences tend to be within the same geographic footprint, and recruit the same players. So say a player develops a great relationship with one coaching staff but another coaching staff in the same conference promises him the stars to get him to commit, only to pull the rug out from under him the kid shouldn't be limited to where he goes next. Second there is no such restrictions (I know it's rare) on coaches so why should one be placed on the unpaid labor force? As to your point about players "bailing" more now than ever: players are finally empowered and understand they don't have to be browbeat into staying in an ill fitting situation any longer. Bo Ryan was notorious for this, but he was car from the only one; I guarantee you that if the transfer portal existed 20 years ago the same number of players would be in it.

Thanks and have a great evening!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:48 am

yosef95 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:02 pm
If a coach is worried a player will transfer to a school in the same conference, then the coach should have valued the player's skill more to keep him. If he didn't feel the player was an asset, then what does it matter where he goes?

I love the openness of the transfer portal. It's more like what real life will be like once these players graduate and start careers. Hard work doesn't guarantee you a starting role or a promotion. There will be other people less qualified and with not as great work ethic that will get the job, regardless of how much time and effort you put forth. There are other options to ensure your talents do not go unnoticed. Those other options are not always the better option, and staying with the initial option may have been a better decision over the long term. The freedom to make those decisions that will lead to success or failure is what's most important.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:39 am

I wonder if the NCAA, Jay Bilas and others who are advocating for pay (unless it’s equal pay across the board at all scholly levels) for players have thought about a player in an open portal saying to his coach “pay me more or I’m leaving” or boosters paying big bucks for your “likeness”. I ok with the portal today but money and an open postal IMO spells trouble.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 am

Big trouble .

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:15 pm

Justin Forrest back! One spot left

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:26 pm

Interesting name just hit the portal, Cory Hightower. 6-7 PF who spent this past year at Western and avg 13.8 pts and 6.2 rebs. Cory spent his first two years at Presbyterian and was recruited and coached by Kerns and Co.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:30 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:26 pm
Interesting name just hit the portal, Cory Hightower. 6-7 PF who spent this past year at Western and avg 13.8 pts and 6.2 rebs. Cory spent his first two years at Presbyterian and was recruited and coached by Kerns and Co.
Could definitely see him or Western's other big man the hit the portal today fitting in nicely. Xavier Cork 12.7 ppg 6.2 rpg 1.4 bpg 64% FG 76% FT last year, really talented player. Had a sun belt offer from Texas St out of high school in addition to offers from Western Carolina and UNC Asheville

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:37 pm

A couple of incoming Sun Belt transfers:

Reginald Gee -> ULM
5 year starter at Alabama St and Austin Peay. 11 ppg and 38% from deep in his career.

Tekorian Smith -> Troy
Only played two games last year at Kent State (probably opted out) but averaged 18 ppg at Polk State (JuCo) the year before. Solid pick up for Troy

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:24 pm

The two WCU players could be Winthrop-bound. WCU coach Mark Prosser resigned at the 'whee to take the Winthrop position.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”