Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Kerns Extended

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Kerns Extended

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:47 pm

Football school vs Basketball school.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:27 pm

Life in crime-ridden Milwaukee on the wintery western shore of Lake Michigan at the mid-point between Chicago and Green Bay may not be so great. But hey...Shaka's back home with multi-generational wealth to face these facts...

Shaka Smart 0 tournament wins at Texas in the last 6 years.

Marquette 0 tournament wins in the last 8 years.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:44 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:00 am
Coach Kerns might want to give serious consideration to where Scott Satterfield is now career wise. Satterfield built a highly successful program and then took the first big offer that came his way. Sure, he has loads of money in his pockets but is now dealing with a ton of other issues at U of L.
Only 2 years in at a D1 school, I don't see Kerns as a sizzling hot commodity that a big name P5 program would take a chance on (yet). He probably needs to prove himself more and continue to build his resume for that opportunity to present itself. A move to another mid major would be disappointing at best. Interesting times ahead as always!
Hmmm... Let me see....Move somewhere to take on a big challenge and make $4-8 million over 3-5 years or stay and make $450k a year....at a place everyone told me not to take the job? Kerns is willing to take a risk and we need to thank him for taking a dumpster fire and making App better when he chooses to leave. He may stay but without a lifetime guarantee would you?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:52 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:44 pm
appfanjj wrote:
Coach Kerns might want to give serious consideration to where Scott Satterfield is now career wise. Satterfield built a highly successful program and then took the first big offer that came his way. Sure, he has loads of money in his pockets but is now dealing with a ton of other issues at U of L.
Only 2 years in at a D1 school, I don't see Kerns as a sizzling hot commodity that a big name P5 program would take a chance on (yet). He probably needs to prove himself more and continue to build his resume for that opportunity to present itself. A move to another mid major would be disappointing at best. Interesting times ahead as always!
Hmmm... Let me see....Move somewhere to take on a big challenge and make $4-8 million over 3-5 years or stay and make $450k a year....at a place everyone told me not to take the job? Kerns is willing to take a risk and we need to thank him for taking a dumpster fire and making App better when he chooses to leave. He may stay but without a lifetime guarantee would you?
And Coach Satterfield was the ACC Coach of the Year - One hell of a job he and his staff did!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:59 pm

Big win for our program. TAKE THE STAIRS!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:16 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Maybe "hot commodity" is an overstatement, but that largely depends on the number of "next step" job openings plus the field of legitimate candidates available this year. This can make Kerns look better or worse.

Personally, I hope he hangs around for another year or two. I'd like to see him build on the success App had this season before he chases the money and glory elsewhere.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:03 pm

Jason Shay abruptly resigned at ETSU today after only one season as HC. Would Kerns consider going even closer to his hometown for a program with lots of recent success?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:41 am

app97 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:03 pm
Jason Shay abruptly resigned at ETSU today after only one season as HC. Would Kerns consider going even closer to his hometown for a program with lots of recent success?
Yes, and there is mutual interest.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:23 am

Kerns makes $300k now, ETSU paid $250k. Coaches don’t take pay cuts like that.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:34 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:23 am
Forbes was making at least in the 400s the year before. Depends on how bad they want him.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:19 am

The situation at ETSU seems pretty sticky right now, and will more than likely get worse before it gets better. Could be a PR nightmare.

Hopefully Kerns sees that and we can hang on to him for a few more seasons.

GO APPS!!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:59 am

app97 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:34 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Forbes was making at least in the 400s the year before. Depends on how bad they want him.
I think Kerns is smart enough to know at this level, if you got your eyes on a much better job, you don't make lateral moves.

His next move needs to be to a high performing MM or low performing P5. This might take a few years of more building at App, but he doesn't seem like the type to step over a dime to pick up a nickel.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:25 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:59 am
app97 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
I think Kerns is smart enough to know at this level, if you got your eyes on a much better job, you don't make lateral moves.

His next move needs to be to a high performing MM or low performing P5. This might take a few years of more building at App, but he doesn't seem like the type to step over a dime to pick up a nickel.
How do you figure? He moved from Presbyterian to App after two years. He interviewed with JMU and Charleston within his first two years at App.

Everything he's done suggests his entire approach is that if he can take a half-step up, he will do so.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:31 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:25 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:59 am
app97 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

How do you figure? He moved from Presbyterian to App after two years. He interviewed with JMU and Charleston within his first two years at App.

Everything he's done suggests his entire approach is that if he can take a half-step up, he will do so.
theres a big difference between taking an interview and taking a job.

I could certainly be wrong, but in my corporate world, once you reach a certain level if you are really ambitious, you only take steps up, assuming you have the chops to back it up. He has upward trajectory here in Boone, as well as momentum and an established fan base (for football) that can bleed into basketball. This is also absent some other considerations, for instance if he lives in Boone he might consider CHarleston a better base for his kids school etc.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:55 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:52 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
appfanjj wrote:
And Coach Satterfield was the ACC Coach of the Year - One hell of a job he and his staff did!!!
True. He was ACC Coach of the Year. In 2019. Fast forward to a bad 2020 season and an interview with USC and that was totally forgotten. My point is that sometimes you might not want to jump at the first offer that comes along. Even if it does put mega cash in your pockets. I know with 100% certainty that SS is by no means the most popular guy in Louisville. If / when Kerns leaves, I hope it is for the right job at the right time and not just for the money.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:02 am

appfanjj wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:55 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:52 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
appfanjj wrote:
True. He was ACC Coach of the Year. In 2019. Fast forward to a bad 2020 season and an interview with USC and that was totally forgotten. My point is that sometimes you might not want to jump at the first offer that comes along. Even if it does put mega cash in your pockets. I know with 100% certainty that SS is by no means the most popular guy in Louisville. If / when Kerns leaves, I hope it is for the right job at the right time and not just for the money.
As Satterfield said while he was here though -- in the profession, you never know when you won't have a job any more. So, you have to behoove yourself and move to the highest level as quickly as you can to earn that cash in case the above happens.
tAPPedInSports.net

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:21 am

Using Satt as some sort of cautionary tale is a big stretch. His issues at UL are largely self-inflicted due to the South Carolina interview and his botched press conference afterward. Even so, he's still fine as long as they bounce back this year. Yeah he needs to win, but that's the case anywhere.

And if he gets canned, I guarantee he'd have multiple opportunities for G5 HC or P5 OC jobs within the week.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:24 am

If ETSU is really interested they would likely offer him more than he makes here. And while Boone is close to his home, JC is right there and puts him even closer to his parents. Regardless of our four days of success, the ETSU job is likely considered a better job than the one at App. None of that is said to suggest he's gone but let's not fool ourselves into thinking he would never consider leaving Boone for Johnson City.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:52 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:21 am
Using Satt as some sort of cautionary tale is a big stretch. His issues at UL are largely self-inflicted due to the South Carolina interview and his botched press conference afterward. Even so, he's still fine as long as they bounce back this year. Yeah he needs to win, but that's the case anywhere.

And if he gets canned, I guarantee he'd have multiple opportunities for G5 HC or P5 OC jobs within the week.
Of course -- but the point is, in the profession you never know what day is your last. So you owe it to yourself and your family to earn that larger paycheck when the opportunity comes.

While taking a ETSU team to a couple NCAA tournaments on paper won't mean much more or less for the perspective next employer than taking App to a couple, that extra $100k a year in the bank means more for their future.
tAPPedInSports.net

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:36 pm

Part of the issue with ETSU would be if they would be ready to help with the $300K+ buyout that is in his current contract and if it has gone up with the new deal. The other issue is would it be anything other than a lateral move.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”