Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Kerns Extended

Yosef10
School: Appalachian State

Re: Kerns Extended

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:25 pm

I’d suggest everyone go check in on the what’s happening with the ETSU program and why the previous coach just “resigned”. Sure the money may be more, maybe, but that’s a helluva situation to voluntarily go step into.

Also can we stop with the “4 game” crap. Kerns had this team in first place in the league until covid hit the squad.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:29 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:25 pm
I’d suggest everyone go check in on the what’s happening with the ETSU program and why the previous coach just “resigned”. Sure the money may be more, maybe, but that’s a helluva situation to voluntarily go step into.

Also can we stop with the “4 game” crap. Kerns had this team in first place in the league until covid hit the squad.
Agree on the first point. Disagree on the second.

"We were in first except for the games we lost" doesn't make any sense. And we were hardly the only team affected by COVID.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:33 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:29 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:25 pm

Agree on the first point. Disagree on the second.

"We were in first except for the games we lost" doesn't make any sense. And we were hardly the only team affected by COVID.
We may still disagree but i did want to clarify. IIRC when covid hit the team they were sitting in first place. They lose two-three weeks, come back and go like 1-6 to finish the year (understandably in my eyes) and end up like 4th or whatever it was. I guess my only point was it wasn’t just “4 games” that they won. The team was a legit contender for the regular season title until they got hit with covid.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:35 pm

We got swept by last place troy right before our covid shut down

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:07 pm

ETSU has a near by airport that APP doesn’t. That should help with scheduling. Plus DJ calling their games. I would be gone.
Bring Your A Game!

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:31 pm

I won't go into details here, see the website for details, but it will not be until at least after the 22-23 season before we have to worry unless someone with DEEEP pockets comes along.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:19 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:31 pm
I won't go into details here, see the website for details, but it will not be until at least after the 22-23 season before we have to worry unless someone with DEEEP pockets comes along.
You mean because that's when his buyout drops from $750,000 to $350,000?

Doubt that would be a deterrent for any but the most modest step up schools. But since Kerns has shown interest in some of those, at least it's something.

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:57 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:19 pm
appgrouch wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:31 pm
You mean because that's when his buyout drops from $750,000 to $350,000?

Doubt that would be a deterrent for any but the most modest step up schools. But since Kerns has shown interest in some of those, at least it's something.
It would be about double his current base salary. So really they would have to basically get him to that as a base to make the numbers work.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:32 am

Buyouts mean literally nothing to many of the biggest schools. Look how much Auburn is paying multiple football staffs right now. $750k is chump change to the haves of the college athletics world.
Give 'em hell!

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:37 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:32 am
Buyouts mean literally nothing to many of the biggest schools. Look how much Auburn is paying multiple football staffs right now. $750k is chump change to the haves of the college athletics world.
If you look at the structure of the deal, it looks obvious that Kerns and the Admin agreed to him being dedicated to App for 2 more years unless one of the P5 came a calling. With the 3rd year being about the same as his base salary and the next 2 years being below that, both sides know that if he has good years the next 2 years, he will probably not finish out his contract here. The fact that he agreed to the $750k is at least a sign that he is not actively going to seek to leave in the next 2 years.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:52 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:37 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
If you look at the structure of the deal, it looks obvious that Kerns and the Admin agreed to him being dedicated to App for 2 more years unless one of the P5 came a calling. With the 3rd year being about the same as his base salary and the next 2 years being below that, both sides know that if he has good years the next 2 years, he will probably not finish out his contract here. The fact that he agreed to the $750k is at least a sign that he is not actively going to seek to leave in the next 2 years.
He had the same buyout amount in place when he interviewed at JMU last year and Charleston this year.

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:41 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:52 pm
appgrouch wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
He had the same buyout amount in place when he interviewed at JMU last year and Charleston this year.
Old buyout was $350K for each year. It only went to $750K with the extension.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:53 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:41 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:52 pm
appgrouch wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
Old buyout was $350K for each year. It only went to $750K with the extension.
My bad, thought the $750K had been in place and the extension just tacked an extra year onto it.

In that case, kudos to Gillin for getting the extension done. Either forces Kerns to be a little more selective in what he pursues or at least lands App a better payout if he does leave.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”