Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

21-22 Roster Breakdown & Wishlist

HurricaneYosef
School: Appalachian State

21-22 Roster Breakdown & Wishlist

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:08 pm

Coming off the most exciting and successful season during my 15+ years supporting app state basketball I'm already excited for the next season to begin. I wanted to make a thread to breakdown our roster for the upcoming season and add a personal wishlist of what I would like to see.

2021-22 ROSTER BREAKDOWN:

G - Justin Forrest - RETURNING
G - Michael Almonacy - RETURNING

G - Xavion Brown - likely returning
F - RJ Duhart - likely returning
G - Michael Eads - likely returning
F - Donovan Gregory - likely returning
F - CJ Huntley - likely returning
G - Adrian Delph - likely returning
C - James Lewis Jr - likely returning
F - Sasha Glushkov - likely returning

G -Deshon Parker - NOT RETURNING
F - RJ Wilson - NOT RETURNING

G - Terrence Harcum - INCOMING FRESHMAN
F - Chris Mantis - INCOMING FRESHMAN

Guards - 6 Forwards - 5 Centers - 1

1 SCHOLARSHIP available

As of right now assuming we lose nobody else to the portal we are lacking ball handlers and post depth. Almonacy &/or Forrest returning for the bonus year would be huge in terms of having someone return who can handle the rock. Parker was a reliable defender for us and we will miss that, but offensively he was a huge minus when on the court. Wilson showed flashes of being able to defend and rebound off the bench, but unfortunately he has been injured both years in Boone. I wish good health and the best for these 2 as they find a new home!

As of now we have two commits signed that'll be freshmen for us next year. Harcum is a point guard and as of right now would have a good chance to start year 1 due to lack of competition at that position. Harcum averaged 25 ppg 6 rpg 5 apg and scored over 2k points in his HS career. Harcum is a 2 star recruit according to 247. Mantis is a 6'7 SG/SF from Indiana who committed to us on Christmas day. At the time of his commitment he was "averaging 29.8 points, 10.3 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game." Mantis is a fringe 3 star recruit according to 247. Both could be impact players as freshmen in my opinion. Mantis would be competing for Kendall Lewis old minutes with year 2 guys like Eads and Brown. And Harcum could be competing for Alomonacy and Forrests' old minutes.

With the 2 current departures and 2 incoming freshmen that leaves us with 3 remaining scholarships. Two could be used on Alomancy/Forrest and the 3rd on a newcomer. Or all 3 could go to newcomers. That is TBD.

WISHLIST:

1. Extend Kerns. Can cross this off the list already!

2. Retain one of Almonacy/Forrest. I'd be thrilled to see both return, but realistically I feel like we can get one to return. If Forrest returned he would have the chance to become our programs all time leading scorer (Passing Sims and Shabazz). BOTH RETURNED

3. Bring in a rim protector / strong rebounder. James Lewis was awesome for us on numerous occasions this season, but when he was in foul trouble or hurt we had basically no rim protection. Duhart had a great game in the sun belt tourney protecting the paint, but his game is more of a stretch 4 kind of player. Would love for us to sign an impact kind of guy to lighten the load off of Lewis' shoulders. Glushkov is another year or 2 away in my opinion, but maybe I'm wrong and he is able to step up in year 2.

4. Bring in an experienced point guard in the transfer portal. There are over 900 players in the portal right now, I'd love to see us land an experienced HM player like other sun belt schools are landing, or even another Almonacy kind of guy who played well in D2/low major. Even if we retain Forrest or Almonacy I think we will still need another reliable point guard.
Don't need experience from the portal, we kept it in house

5. Offensive improvement. Our strengths this past year was our defense, toughness, and grittyness that we played with. But I think we can all agree our offense wasn't the most fun to watch. Our offensive efficiency was 244th in the country and it was evident as we commonly would go 3-5 minutes without making a shot. I don't know if this needs to happen with roster improvement or a new offensive philosophy / playbook. But I would hope we see improvement on the offensive end of the floor next year.

6. Packed student section / good fan support. I would expect sporting event capacities to be 100% by November, if not at least 75% capacity which would be just fine for the holmes center. coming off an amazing season I really hope we see students and fans come out and support the program like never before!

7. Additional coach to our staff? This isn't a wish but what went unnoticed when Coach Allison took over as interim Head Golf Coach his position was never replaced. This could have been due to COVID related budget issues, but it is standard for D1 programs to have 3 assistants and 1 operations position, and 1 other position (ie Video Coordinator, special assistant, recruiting/scouting director, etc.). We currently have 3 assistants (Szorc, Young, and Moynihan) and 1 DOBO (Fey). In comparison South Alabama has 9 assistant coaching positions and Georgia State has 3 assistans, 1 DOBO, and 2 GA's.

8. Non conference schedule improvements. Under Kerns in 2 years we have played 3 (0-3) Power 5 teams, 6 (3-3) regional MM competitors (ie ECU, UNCG, Bowling Green) 4 (3-1) low major competitors, 6* (6-0) cupcakes (D2/easy teams). I know this past year is an asterisks year for scheduling, I would like us to play less cupcakes a more quality mid major competitors. In two years we have played 9 quality non conference opponents, and 10 cupcakes.
*could have been 9 if not for COVID cancellations.

This is all I can think of for now... would love input and opinions from others. As always, TAKE THE STAIRS!

tldr: this thread will breakdown are projected roster. I hope we retain 1 of Forrest/Almonacy, sign a rim protector, and a veteran point guard in the portal.
Last edited by HurricaneYosef on Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

app97

Re: 21-22 Roster Breakdown & Wishlist

Unread post by app97 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:00 am

In response to #7, I would rather see us give raises to all of the coaches instead of bringing another in. Our current budget for all 3 assistants is $240k. They are a great unit and deserve a bump based on performance.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:42 am

Great to see the increased interest in our basketball program. I truly hope it continues to build.

I see Duhart as continuing to improve. Not a big scoring threat but does other things well.

When is the return home game with Auburn?

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:55 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:42 am
Great to see the increased interest in our basketball program. I truly hope it continues to build.

I see Duhart as continuing to improve. Not a big scoring threat but does other things well.

When is the return home game with Auburn?
I believe that Auburn game is not this upcoming year but the next. Looking forward to that one.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:16 pm

Having Capel and Fox over the years hurt what we saw on the court, and really made all other things impossible to improve. Now that we have a much better fit at coach, it's time to take care of the things off of the court. There needs to be better promotion of the team to students, locals, as well as fans willing to come to Boone for a weekend. Headed up to ski, why not catch a game? What recruit wants to attend a game on an official visit playing inside of an empty gym?

I've also been hopeful for an uptick in the quality of opponent for OOC games. It's gotten slightly better, and we're at least winning the cupcake games whereas we all remember when we lost a few, but I feel it could be a bit better to gain interest.

There are a lot of decent mid major programs relatively close to Boone that we could swing.

I think making the tournament will help going forward for both interest and scheduling. I feel by next basketball season we will be able to have fans at games in much greater if not max capacity. I also think that scheduling options will be a lot more open next season.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:58 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:16 pm
Having Capel and Fox over the years hurt what we saw on the court, and really made all other things impossible to improve. Now that we have a much better fit at coach, it's time to take care of the things off of the court. There needs to be better promotion of the team to students, locals, as well as fans willing to come to Boone for a weekend. Headed up to ski, why not catch a game? What recruit wants to attend a game on an official visit playing inside of an empty gym?

I've also been hopeful for an uptick in the quality of opponent for OOC games. It's gotten slightly better, and we're at least winning the cupcake games whereas we all remember when we lost a few, but I feel it could be a bit better to gain interest.

There are a lot of decent mid major programs relatively close to Boone that we could swing.

I think making the tournament will help going forward for both interest and scheduling. I feel by next basketball season we will be able to have fans at games in much greater if not max capacity. I also think that scheduling options will be a lot more open next season.
IIRC, the ET Bucs owe us a return visit.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:05 pm

asu66 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:58 pm

The Bucs' coach resigned today. Now I'm wondering if Kerns will be with us or at ETSU next season.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:19 pm

app97 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:05 pm
asu66 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:58 pm

The Bucs' coach resigned today. Now I'm wondering if Kerns will be with us or at ETSU next season.
??????

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:17 am

Don't discount CJ Huntley getting more time next season in the post. He played a lot as a freshman early in the year last year. I think he's a candidate for increased minutes behind Lewis/Duhart.

Also re PG depth, don't forget that Xavion Brown was a recruited as a PG. He played a lot of off ball down the stretch because Forrest and Almonacy played so many minutes. Not sure that playing the 2 as more of a second ball handling guard isn't his best position, but he could play PG if needed. Never know with Freshman, but I'd bet Brown gets more run at PG than Harcum does to start if Almonacy & Forrest both move on.

Agree though that we could use depth at both positions.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:12 pm

Almonacy is returning!

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:14 pm

Justin Forrest returning as well!

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:44 pm

Updated the thread!

We have ONE scholarship remaining. Would love to see it go to a big man, preferably one with experience in the portal. With Forrest and Almonacy returning we are positioning ourselves to compete for another sun belt championship. Because of this I would much rather see us bring in a big man with experience rather than a freshman who needs time to development.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:24 pm

If we do go with taking a PF/C in the portal, here are some potential names to keep an eye on:

Daniel Ramsey - 6'9 230 PF from Xavier
Played in two games total in two years at xavier and is originally from Albany, GA. We were 1 of 5 offers he had out of HS. 3 star out of HS according to 247, #27 PF in the country. Our most likely get of this group in my opinion!

Jayden Gardner - 6'7 235 PF from ECU
Probably a longshot here, but if he doesn't transfer up to a high major maybe he considers and in state team contending for a conference title like App. Has been ECu's best player since his freshman year. We were one of his 5 offers out of high school like Ramsey above. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gardner go to Boston College, their new HC from CofC offered him out of HS as well.

Ejike Obinna - 6'10 240 C from Vanderbilt
Only saw 12 mpg in 4 years at Vanderbilt. 3 star center from Ashburn, VA out of high school. Had tons of high major offers out of high school, don't know how many of those will be calling him back. Probably a long shot, but potential is there.

Josh Carlton - 6'10 245 C from UCONN
A 3 star recruit originally from Winterville, NC before graduating HS in Maryland. Played regularly at UCONN for 4 years. This one is a reach, but maybe there are family ties that would bring him to Boone for his bonus year of eligibility!

Edra Luster, Jr. - 7'0 230 C from ECU
Luster played 2 years of JuCo before 2 years of tie at ECU. A true 7 footer and paint protector he would be a solid option to have in our rotation next year.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:03 am

While I realize we are talking about roster spots, I do look forward to seeing Xavion Brown continue to get stronger and fully expect to see further offensive development. His increased minutes at the end of the season will pay dividends next season in more confidence on the offensive side of his game.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:47 am

I posted a question about the best use of our remaining scholarship in the other thread. I should have posted here. Looks so far like others agree that picking up a big man would be the best use. Seems kind of obvious but with the emphasis on 3 point shooting in mid major basketball, I wasn't sure what to expect. We do seem to be loaded with talent at guard now!

GO APPS!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:12 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:47 am
I posted a question about the best use of our remaining scholarship in the other thread. I should have posted here. Looks so far like others agree that picking up a big man would be the best use. Seems kind of obvious but with the emphasis on 3 point shooting in mid major basketball, I wasn't sure what to expect. We do seem to be loaded with talent at guard now!

GO APPS!
when you go 0-20 from 3 point land in the first half of a play-in round of an NCAA tourney game..sure could use some big guys to get those rebounds.. :D
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:25 am

I believe the rule is the same as in football and super seniors don't count against the overall 13 limit, in which case we have more than one spot left.

Could be moot as we may not use every available scholarship. But just something to keep in mind.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:21 pm

Daniel Ramsey committed to Tennessee Tech today. Feel like if we wanted him he would have picked us over a bottom tier OVC school

Notable Sun Belt news:

Eric Boone has entered the portal. Started 21/24 games for Ga Southern this year: 11 ppg 3 apg 3.5 rpg 35% from deep

Southern is also losing Zack Bryant to the portal. Started 15/24 games. 13.6 ppg 2.5 apg 2.5 rpg 34% from deep

Devante Jones has declared for the draft from Coastal. Sun Belt POTY

Big news for our two biggest conference rivals in hoops

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:40 pm

X is the most explosive athlete on the team. He is best running the court and around the basket. Shot needs a lot of work .If he continues to improve like Delph and Gregory , lookout ‘ Belt.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”