Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB vs William Peace, Monday 6:30

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

MBB vs William Peace, Monday 6:30

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:26 am

LFG boys. Keep winning.

Monday we host the fighting Billy Reeces Peeces from (checks notes) some place called Raleigh, NC. They’re 0-1 on the season with a blow out loss to Campbell. Not much to glean from that except pack the convocation center.

Winning is infectious. We need to get another 3,000 in there. These players deserve it. I expect us to break the 3,500 mark on Thursday vs Charlotte 🤮.

Let’s talk about it!
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Seattleapp

Re: MBB vs William Peace, Monday 6:30

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:47 am

Who? This is a pointless game

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:24 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:47 am
Formerly Peace College…also formerly an all female school. They started admitting males in 2012 and subsequently changed the name of the school.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Every team plays these kinds of games…just win.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:53 am

All I got on this one is "you want a piece, go to Saint, you want a Saint, go to Peace". I guess these are the Saints.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:11 pm

Anyone at the game? Looks like the first few rows of the student section are standing at least.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:01 pm

I think it safe to say we have given notice to NCAA DIII schools that Holmes is OUR HOUSE!
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:08 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Why do we play these games?

Answer: PBP guy says “app goes young with 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores on the floor”

That’s why. To give the young guys an opportunity.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:16 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:08 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Why do we play these games?

Answer: PBP guy says “app goes young with 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores on the floor”

That’s why. To give the young guys an opportunity.
This and budget considerations in paying a school to come to Boone.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:17 pm

Looks like we got some free throw shooters waiting in the wings

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:38 pm

Thoughts on the young guys

Xavion Brown is a DIFFERENCE MAKER. He is should see much more meaningful minutes that he did last year. Unreal athleticism

Harcum didn't light up the box score today but through 3 games he looks comfortable on the floor with our regulars. A very good sign for the freshmen

Eads continues to improve, knocked down a 3 and was involved on the glass with 5 rebounds. Like Harcum looks comfortable with the starters.

Mantis struggled and looked timid early, but finally got comfortable and knocked down some outside shots late in the second half. Looks like a reliable 3 point shooter for us, he will likely need to improve defensively to see more meaningful minutes come conference play. He was beat a few too many times given the competition imo, but maybe needs more time and reps to get used to our defensive scheme.

Huntley, like Mantis, started flat but really picked things up late second half. Best sequence was throwing down an ally oop and then draining top of the key 3 the following possession. Reminds me of Tyrell Johnson from a few years ago, just a little more raw.

Sasha looks stronger thanks to his weight room gains, but didn't really provide much. Might still be figuring out how to use his frame, like a baby deer who doesn't know how to run yet

Overall great showing, a win is a win, and extremely impressed with the student section!

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:02 pm

Huge complaint: Why couldn't we get 100? /not serious

Seemed like a well-played game that got fans fired up. On to Charlotte!

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:06 pm

HurricaneYosef wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:38 pm
Thoughts on the young guys

Xavion Brown is a DIFFERENCE MAKER. He is should see much more meaningful minutes that he did last year. Unreal athleticism

Harcum didn't light up the box score today but through 3 games he looks comfortable on the floor with our regulars. A very good sign for the freshmen

Eads continues to improve, knocked down a 3 and was involved on the glass with 5 rebounds. Like Harcum looks comfortable with the starters.

Mantis struggled and looked timid early, but finally got comfortable and knocked down some outside shots late in the second half. Looks like a reliable 3 point shooter for us, he will likely need to improve defensively to see more meaningful minutes come conference play. He was beat a few too many times given the competition imo, but maybe needs more time and reps to get used to our defensive scheme.

Huntley, like Mantis, started flat but really picked things up late second half. Best sequence was throwing down an ally oop and then draining top of the key 3 the following possession. Reminds me of Tyrell Johnson from a few years ago, just a little more raw.

Sasha looks stronger thanks to his weight room gains, but didn't really provide much. Might still be figuring out how to use his frame, like a baby deer who doesn't know how to run yet

Overall great showing, a win is a win, and extremely impressed with the student section!
Good breakdown. The future looks. Good! Harcum, Mantis, Huntley, Duhart, Gregory, Brown, Eads. Nice rotation for next year. Anyone know if Delph has another year?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:29 pm

Yes on Adrian.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:31 pm

Basketball attendance was decent in Varsity Gym because it was an easy for on campus students to go eat in cafeteria or BI and then pop into the game. Now with Holmes you have to want to go to a basketball game and on weeknights without a big game you get 1500 people....

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:20 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:31 pm
Basketball attendance was decent in Varsity Gym because it was an easy for on campus students to go eat in cafeteria or BI and then pop into the game. Now with Holmes you have to want to go to a basketball game and on weeknights without a big game you get 1500 people....
With all due respect that’s an excuse. It’s what, half a mile away from Varsity? Not saying a few clueless students didn’t say “oh there’s a game tonight? I forgot, lets pop in”.

Attendance fell off because MBB hasn’t given students a product worth going to see.

I completely agree that infrastructure around Holmes is terrible. Rivers St deck in the frigid cold feels like it’s a mile away. There needs to be a parking lot adjacent. The small lot behind the stadium needs to be enlarged and turned into a garage with a sky bridge over the road to the concourse level. It’s great that the bars are directly across the street. If a few more popped up in the area of Hardee’s and really embraced being a basketball pre-game destination it’d be like having a village surrounding Holmes.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:11 am

They should have bought the Hardees property and closed off the road in between. They could have a built a basketball practice facility with office space that connected to the Holmes Convocation Center and also placed a small parking deck in the area as well. To large of a price tag I guess.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:50 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:20 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:31 pm
With all due respect that’s an excuse. It’s what, half a mile away from Varsity? Not saying a few clueless students didn’t say “oh there’s a game tonight? I forgot, lets pop in”.

Attendance fell off because MBB hasn’t given students a product worth going to see.

I completely agree that infrastructure around Holmes is terrible. Rivers St deck in the frigid cold feels like it’s a mile away. There needs to be a parking lot adjacent. The small lot behind the stadium needs to be enlarged and turned into a garage with a sky bridge over the road to the concourse level. It’s great that the bars are directly across the street. If a few more popped up in the area of Hardee’s and really embraced being a basketball pre-game destination it’d be like having a village surrounding Holmes.
Definitely is a sad excuse. But I believe that it is a real factor. Weeknight games at a football university with mediocre teams is only going to draw attendance by hardcore basketball fans. Fortunately if you're walking right past the entrance way to the basketball arena and you pop in there for a little while and or meet there with friends and have dinner together that possibly creates more fans and a habit of activity. Holmes is a great venue but I think a little bit of old school basketball comradery was lost when games were moved out of varsity.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:09 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:50 am
Definitely is a sad excuse. But I believe that it is a real factor. Weeknight games at a football university with mediocre teams is only going to draw attendance by hardcore basketball fans. Fortunately if you're walking right past the entrance way to the basketball arena and you pop in there for a little while and or meet there with friends and have dinner together that possibly creates more fans and a habit of activity. Holmes is a great venue but I think a little bit of old school basketball comradery was lost when games were moved out of varsity.
It’s more that our athletic department has not done a good job selling Appalachian basketball to students and locals in decades. It’s football football FOOTBALL. It’s going to take a grass roots campaign to build interest.

Regarding varsity vs Holmes, you could say the opposite - that only hardcore locals would drive through campus and stop on a whim. Create a product people “can’t miss” and they’ll come.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:16 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:09 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:50 am
It’s more that our athletic department has not done a good job selling Appalachian basketball to students and locals in decades. It’s football football FOOTBALL. It’s going to take a grass roots campaign to build interest.

Regarding varsity vs Holmes, you could say the opposite - that only hardcore locals would drive through campus and stop on a whim. Create a product people “can’t miss” and they’ll come.
That's a fair point. Although if varsity had been renovated parking in the parking garage and walking across The skywalk directly over is pretty easy access. The life of me I don't understand why varsity gym is so underutilized. Using the building only for wrestling and also storage seems like a waste. Seems like the upstairs area could be divided into a cool dedicated home court for volleyball and the dedicated wrestling.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”