• Birthdays

Recruiting, 2015

Saint3333
Posts: 9484
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 808 times
Been thanked: 1030 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:17 pm

Moves well without the ball and can play above the rim. Good shot, but may need to be careful it isn't blocked due to release point.

Good to hear we have a bother forward, now sign one PF/C and this will be a good class.



AppHoops
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by AppHoops » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:38 am

O'Boyle gives us a true "small forward" for our rotation. It's also nice that as a JuCo transfer he can bring in immediate playing experience from above the High School Level. I believe he's coming to App as a Junior giving us two solid years with him.



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 24723
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 623 times
Been thanked: 651 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:34 pm

AppHoops wrote:O'Boyle gives us a true "small forward" for our rotation. It's also nice that as a JuCo transfer he can bring in immediate playing experience from above the High School Level. I believe he's coming to App as a Junior giving us two solid years with him.

Image
Matthew certainly seems to like what he saw over the weekend; and he's getting plenty of love on Twitter for his decision. Now we wait on the faxed LOI.

Assuming we get his LOI; that makes it three down and one to go on the '15 recruiting class.


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

User avatar
firemoose
Posts: 6651
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:20 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 622 times
Been thanked: 2786 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:01 am

firemoose wrote:New Commit: SF/SG Matt O’Boyle (6′ 5″ 190) of Prima Community College in Tucson, AZ committed to App this morning while on his visit. Haven't seen anything official but I have moved him to the Commits section of the Main page.
Just an update-Matt O'Boyle signed his LOI earlier (on Tuesday evening our time) so he's officially a Mountaineer.



9Steelman
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:40 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by 9Steelman » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:41 pm

Anybody got any news on possible BB recruit 6-10 Danny Dixon out of Bradenton, Florida? I think maybe he visited APP last weekend.



User avatar
firemoose
Posts: 6651
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:20 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 622 times
Been thanked: 2786 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:52 pm

9Steelman wrote:Anybody got any news on possible BB recruit 6-10 Danny Dixon out of Bradenton, Florida? I think maybe he visited APP last weekend.
He did visit this past weekend. Michigan player by way of IMG in FL. He has a player page up on the Main. He holds some other offers and still has visits to take so we have to wait it out a bit longer. He'll be a tough get with George Mason and Missouri-KC pushing hard for him but we did our best by bringing him in along with O'Boyle. Can't hurt when someone you are on campus with commits. Time to cross some fingers.



Saint3333
Posts: 9484
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 808 times
Been thanked: 1030 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:15 pm

Nice hands and moves well for 6'10". Put on some weight and he can a solid player.

He tends to want to take one dribble between catching the ball in the post and shooting a layup, his college coach will fix that quickly.



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 24723
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 623 times
Been thanked: 651 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:23 pm

Saint3333 wrote:Nice hands and moves well for 6'10". Put on some weight and he can a solid player.

He tends to want to take one dribble between catching the ball in the post and shooting a layup, his college coach will fix that quickly.

Dixon just got another offer; this one from from Robert Morris. Hope we can corral this youngster;
ya can't coach up 6-10+.

Checked out his videos...one of his warmup drills is dribbling two balls (at once) down-court and back. That's not much of a stretch for an agile 6-2 guard, but for a 6-10 and still growing kid, it's not too shabby...


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

app97
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:09 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Asheville
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by app97 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Spag-like skills, just taller and maybe quicker. Looks like he has a big upside.



User avatar
firemoose
Posts: 6651
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:20 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 622 times
Been thanked: 2786 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 pm

From twitter:
PF/SF Bennett Holley (6′ 7″ 200) of North Cross School in Roanoke, VA. A player page with video has been added to the Main under the Other Newcomers section for now. Still checking for the details on this and I'll update as soon as there is some more information.



User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 13592
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 794 times
Been thanked: 791 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:50 am

firemoose wrote:From twitter:
PF/SF Bennett Holley (6′ 7″ 200) of North Cross School in Roanoke, VA. A player page with video has been added to the Main under the Other Newcomers section for now. Still checking for the details on this and I'll update as soon as there is some more information.
His coach at North Cross was Bill Hodges, Larry Bird's coach at Indiana State.

Here is what he had to say about Holley:
“Bennett shoots as well as any player I have ever coached, including Larry Bird.”



EastHallApp
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1582 times
Been thanked: 1312 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:05 am

Sounds like we found that (eventual) stretch 4. Time to hit the weights!



User avatar
firemoose
Posts: 6651
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:20 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 622 times
Been thanked: 2786 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:43 am

firemoose wrote:From twitter:
PF/SF Bennett Holley (6′ 7″ 200) of North Cross School in Roanoke, VA. A player page with video has been added to the Main under the Other Newcomers section for now. Still checking for the details on this and I'll update as soon as there is some more information.
Did some checking this am and word is he's a scholarship player. I'm moving him to the Commits section on the Main until he signs his LOI.



User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 13592
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 794 times
Been thanked: 791 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:30 am

Article from the Roanoke Times on our newest recruit:

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_scho ... c18e5.html



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 24723
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 623 times
Been thanked: 651 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:40 am

hapapp wrote:Article from the Roanoke Times on our newest recruit:

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_scho ... c18e5.html
Since Holley became an "item" on the forum yesterday, I've done a bit of reading about him. All of the articles and recruiting pieces I've read about him have been positive. The only question any of the writers and talent scouts have had about his prospects for future success have revolved around the level of competition he's faced. One article, I believe from the Roanoke Star, indicated that Holley "had a ton of offers" from D-III schools. There was no mention of either D-I or D-II.

It appears from the article you posted that ASU may have had some reservation about making an offer to him; but decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. A couple of tweets from people familiar with Holley's play called him a "steal" for Fox and the Apps, but he may not have been the best player on his team. I suppose only time will tell if it was a good decision.

My only remaining question is whether we will still offer one more grant for '15. We had one to award before the announcement that Gilbert and Kostic were leaving. With the apparent addition of O'Boyle and Holley; can we assume that Fox is still hoping to land Dixon?


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

User avatar
JTApps1
Posts: 2053
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:18 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lake Wylie
Has thanked: 317 times
Been thanked: 535 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:43 pm

asu66 wrote:
hapapp wrote:Article from the Roanoke Times on our newest recruit:

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_scho ... c18e5.html
Since Holley became an "item" on the forum yesterday, I've done a bit of reading about him. All of the articles and recruiting pieces I've read about him have been positive. The only question any of the writers and talent scouts have had about his prospects for future success have revolved around the level of competition he's faced. One article, I believe from the Roanoke Star, indicated that Holley "had a ton of offers" from D-III schools. There was no mention of either D-I or D-II.

It appears from the article you posted that ASU may have had some reservation about making an offer to him; but decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. A couple of tweets from people familiar with Holley's play called him a "steal" for Fox and the Apps, but he may not have been the best player on his team. I suppose only time will tell if it was a good decision.

My only remaining question is whether we will still offer one more grant for '15. We had one to award before the announcement that Gilbert and Kostic were leaving. With the apparent addition of O'Boyle and Holley; can we assume that Fox is still hoping to land Dixon?
I am a little concerned at his lack of offers, but hearing that Liberty was looking at him as well makes me feel a little better. Sometimes you never know how someone will turn out when it comes to college, and I don't think having a 6'7 guy that can shoot and handle the ball is ever a bad thing. He seems like a direct replacement for Kostic.

From what Fox had to say at the Yosef stop in Charlotte he certainly wants a big man asap.


When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

User avatar
asu66
Posts: 24723
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 623 times
Been thanked: 651 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:02 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
asu66 wrote:
hapapp wrote:Article from the Roanoke Times on our newest recruit:

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_scho ... c18e5.html
I am a little concerned at his lack of offers, but hearing that Liberty was looking at him as well makes me feel a little better. Sometimes you never know how someone will turn out when it comes to college, and I don't think having a 6'7 guy that can shoot and handle the ball is ever a bad thing. He seems like a direct replacement for Kostic.

From what Fox had to say at the Yosef stop in Charlotte he certainly wants a big man asap.
One article I read was about a game in which Holley wasn't ready for the opening game tip-off and was in his own world when the ball was tossed up. He never left his feet. Apparently intent to make up for his lapse, he scored the game's first 12 points--hitting four straight treys.

His team won going away. After the 12 point first minutes of the game--he finished with only 18 points. That tells me he may be a bit of a streak shooter. He did grab 16 boards, so it's not like he wasn't busy. :D


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 13592
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 794 times
Been thanked: 791 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:29 pm

asu66 wrote:
hapapp wrote:Article from the Roanoke Times on our newest recruit:

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_scho ... c18e5.html
Since Holley became an "item" on the forum yesterday, I've done a bit of reading about him. All of the articles and recruiting pieces I've read about him have been positive. The only question any of the writers and talent scouts have had about his prospects for future success have revolved around the level of competition he's faced. One article, I believe from the Roanoke Star, indicated that Holley "had a ton of offers" from D-III schools. There was no mention of either D-I or D-II.

It appears from the article you posted that ASU may have had some reservation about making an offer to him; but decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. A couple of tweets from people familiar with Holley's play called him a "steal" for Fox and the Apps, but he may not have been the best player on his team. I suppose only time will tell if it was a good decision.

My only remaining question is whether we will still offer one more grant for '15. We had one to award before the announcement that Gilbert and Kostic were leaving. With the apparent addition of O'Boyle and Holley; can we assume that Fox is still hoping to land Dixon?
He played in a state wide private school league and was the league player of the year as a junior, not sure about this year. In the Roanoke Times circulation area, which covers much of Southwest and South Central Virginia, he was a second team All-Timesland selection. I think there are always concerns about a player when the level of competition he faces can vary from teams that have several D1 prospects to teams that are undermanned. He did play for a former college coach who he followed from Roanoke Catholic to North Cross, so one suspects he did receive some good instruction.

BTW, North Cross is a fairly elite private school with top notch academics.



User avatar
AppGrad78
Posts: 3774
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:33 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Waynesville, NC; Resides: Greensboro, NC
Has thanked: 1006 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:27 pm

Disappointing news. Center Danny Dixon committed to George Mason today, per Twitter.



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 24723
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 623 times
Been thanked: 651 times

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:19 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:Disappointing news. Center Danny Dixon committed to George Mason today, per Twitter.
Ouch!


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 29 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests

    Most users ever online was 1049 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:01 am

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests