Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB vs Central Penn, Tues 12/5 8pm

asumba95
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB vs Central Penn, Tues 12/5 8pm

Unread post by asumba95 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:28 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:48 am
MrCraig wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:13 am
asumba95 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:01 am
If you want more people to come support the team:

1) Have a good team that plays hard and is competitive (looks like that is covered)
2) Don't play teams like Central Penn. If we can get Auburn to come to Boone, then getting some good mid-major opponents for a home/home series shouldn't be an issue. Playing teams like Davidson, College of Charleston, Richmond, etc should be an option.

thoughts??
I completely agree, but you have to get those teams to agree to come play you. Also, while basketball schedules aren't scheduled as far ahead as football, they are scheduled well ahead of time. So even if App scheduled Davidson, UNC-A, Charleston, etc. those games wouldn't be played for 2-3 years.
Auburn and other top level teams have the resources such as chartered flights, etc. I assume to make a trip like this workable..Most, if not all, mid majors are flying commercial. If they fly into Gboro or Charlotte, they then have a 2 hour drive to Boone. I would think this is an impediment to teams outside of NC unless close like etsu...as well as the EasyUs and UNCWs of the world on the East Coast of NC
I am not sure we are able to schedule the same teams every year from say Raleigh West to come to Boone. There would have to be home and homes... and 4 of those teams are not traveling to Boone...I would think we would have to fork out some decent amount of money to get teams like Butler, VCU, etc. to travel to Boone. Not sure we have funds in the budget to do that.
All valid points. I guess that's one drawback of Boone's "remote" location (relative to other schools). As usual, it comes down to $$$.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:37 am

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:11 am
appgrad2010 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:53 am
Show up and show out! Got to get the sports marketing department to find some serious great freebie opps. for students......pizza, canned beer with ID, etc. 20k student body, should at least be able to get 5k to each game!!!!
Not trying to start an argument with you, but I just don't think giving away stuff really affects attendance. I remember some great giveaways (tshirts, pizza, etc.) when I was in school, and I still didn't go because App wasn't very good in basketball at the time.
A good product and quality opponents will bring attendance. I really think this Auburn win could be a huge bump. From what I've been able to see on TV, it looks like the students are already showing up at a decent rate. I think it's getting other folks who aren't in school to come watch basketball that is the trick.
If I lived within 30-45 minutes, I'd make a lot more effort to go for sure.
There’s also some dodgy legalities with giving away beer. You can do it but you have to give away a gift card or something that can be used at a concession stand that sells beer.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:39 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
asumba95 wrote:

1) Have a good team that plays hard and is competitive (looks like that is covered)
2) Don't play teams like Central Penn. If we can get Auburn to come to Boone, then getting some good mid-major opponents for a home/home series shouldn't be an issue. Playing teams like Davidson, College of Charleston, Richmond, etc should be an option.

thoughts??
I completely agree, but you have to get those teams to agree to come play you. Also, while basketball schedules aren't scheduled as far ahead as football, they are scheduled well ahead of time. So even if App scheduled Davidson, UNC-A, Charleston, etc. those games wouldn't be played for 2-3 years.
Auburn and other top level teams have the resources such as chartered flights, etc. I assume to make a trip like this workable..Most, if not all, mid majors are flying commercial. If they fly into Gboro or Charlotte, they then have a 2 hour drive to Boone. I would think this is an impediment to teams outside of NC unless close like etsu...as well as the EasyUs and UNCWs of the world on the East Coast of NC
I am not sure we are able to schedule the same teams every year from say Raleigh West to come to Boone. There would have to be home and homes... and 4 of those teams are not traveling to Boone...I would think we would have to fork out some decent amount of money to get teams like Butler, VCU, etc. to travel to Boone. Not sure we have funds in the budget to do that.
I’ll have to ask my pilot buddy how long a runway has to be to land the size of planes needed to charter basketball teams. I screen shot and counted the App bench yesterday and there were roughly 22 total people: players, coaches, and support staff. A quick google says the max traveling party is 34 per ncaa rules, so that’d be the size plane a team would have to charter. Doug’s flown into the Boone air strip in his single engine Sesna and told me the the airport’s runway is tiny and scary 😂.

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:02 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:39 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
asumba95 wrote:

thoughts??
I’ll have to ask my pilot buddy how long a runway has to be to land the size of planes needed to charter basketball teams. I screen shot and counted the App bench yesterday and there were roughly 22 total people: players, coaches, and support staff. A quick google says the max traveling party is 34 per ncaa rules, so that’d be the size plane a team would have to charter. Doug’s flown into the Boone air strip in his single engine Sesna and told me the the airport’s runway is tiny and scary 😂.
I've never been in a private plane, but have seen Boone's airport. Elk Rivers' looks safer.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:07 am

asumba95 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:02 am
APPdiesel wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
asumba95 wrote:

thoughts??
I've never been in a private plane, but have seen Boone's airport. Elk Rivers' looks safer.
Yeah it would take some investment for sure to get Boone airport up to snuff. As tight as financials are in college athletics I doubt the university would front some of that investment, I’d have to think it would have to come from the Boone airport owners and/or private donors.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:14 am

asumba95 wrote:

thoughts??
#1 is covered which is great.

For #2 we play ETSU and UNCA which are solid mid-major teams then we play our conference games. I don't see our basketball schedule as inherently weaker than our football schedule (sans Central Penn).

#1 is what matters, win the games.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:25 am

asumba95 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:11 am
Stonewall wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:09 am
We talk to every D1 in the Carolinas offering home and home.
so no teams want to come to Boone?
Not “no teams” , but very few.

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:27 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:07 am
asumba95 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

Yeah it would take some investment for sure to get Boone airport up to snuff. As tight as financials are in college athletics I doubt the university would front some of that investment, I’d have to think it would have to come from the Boone airport owners and/or private donors.
Mountain City, TN airport could handle it, and it's only 1/2 hour drive from the airport to Boone.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:31 am

PoplarHillApp wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:27 am
APPdiesel wrote:
asumba95 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Mountain City, TN airport could handle it, and it's only 1/2 hour drive from the airport to Boone.
Elk River plenty long enough for charter but it’s private and they would need clearance. Boone is way too short, not much room for expansion with the creek and also pretty sketchy. Lenoir/Morganton or Hickory is probably the best bet. I think you’d need about +-5000 ft runway minimum.
Last edited by 311neers on Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:34 am

PoplarHillApp wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:27 am
APPdiesel wrote:
asumba95 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Not saying you’re wrong but my point is the types of programs we want to attract want the easy in easy out charter experience. They want to fly into the town they’re visiting, not take a winding 30 minute drive through the mountains that they will perceive as difficult and dangerous (especially during basketball season with potentially snowy conditions).

I’m sure there would be other positive economic impacts as well of having a “larger than we have now” airport in Boone that charter planes can use.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:23 pm

A pleasant 30 drive through the mountains is an experience everyone should have!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:21 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:23 pm
A pleasant 30 drive through the mountains is an experience everyone should have!
Especially visiting teams…gives them a chance to get motion sickness coming up the mountain. I suppose App might consider that a competitive advantage.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:35 pm

Once discussions reach the point of runway lengths and drives to and from airports it's officially off the usual rails.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:33 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:57 am
It’s simply an in-season exhibition game that actually counts on our record. We’ve done it the last several years. Carlow, Boyce, etc. Mostly right before of during exams.
We count it in our records. Sometimes the other teams do and sometimes they do not based on a few previous years, and the NCAA and some of the variety of polls certainly do not from what I can tell (maybe if we lose it goes into the NET ratings but I don't see anything to suggest a win would be used in the NET ratings. How do you put a DII, or DIII, or NAIA team on a quadrant? I don't think the NCAA does.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:41 pm

Wilksboro could handle it.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:53 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:35 pm
Once discussions reach the point of runway lengths and drives to and from airports it's officially off the usual rails.
You don’t always beat a team by 70……but when you do……… :lol:

ASU843

Unread post by ASU843 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:07 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:41 pm
Wilksboro could handle it.
I heard somewhere that Wilkesboro is expanding its airport to better handle Samaritans Purse planes.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:12 am

For what it's worth how many major colleges are within a 30 minute drive from the closest major airport? How far is the drive from RDU to the Dean Dome for instance? When teams fly in to play JMU what is the closest airport? Just curious as I have zero idea and zero interest.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:32 am

We have some tough games coming up.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:15 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:12 am
For what it's worth how many major colleges are within a 30 minute drive from the closest major airport? How far is the drive from RDU to the Dean Dome for instance? When teams fly in to play JMU what is the closest airport? Just curious as I have zero idea and zero interest.
https://flyshd.com/

https://flyshd.com/airline-information/jmu-travel/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”