Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Block Party!

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Block Party!

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:51 pm

I gotta say…this team is fun to watch and their “D” is pretty damn good! Tons of rebounds…tons of pressure and most importantly…all those blocks! Keep it up guys!

WASU 93
School: Appalachian State

Re: Block Party!

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:41 pm

We came into the game second in the nation in blocked shots. Bryant has 128 in 19 games (6.7 per game), App had 127 in 19 games.

We registered 9 blocks tonight and they had 6 vs. NJIT, so we should be #1 in Division 1.

We also came into the game ranked #19 in three point percentage defense (allowing 29.0% per game) and GaSo shot 23.1% for the game, so that will improve.

And, we were #2 in the nation, allowing 36.799% overall FG Percentage. GaSo shot 45% tonight

Offensively, we are #42 in Assist to Turnover Ratio (1.46)
20th in Scoring Margin (14 ppg)
13th in Scoring Defense (63.2 ppg)

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:35 pm

This thread got me. I was hoping this thread was calling out tailgating before the JMU game.

Tip is 6:00 pm. Perfect for a tailgate. I might see if i can get the football tailgate crew together for a basketball tailgate. Right now they are calling for rain, but it doesn't rain in the river street parking deck.

APPChad90

Unread post by APPChad90 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:07 am

Amen! Thank you PBR-Hat-Guy for celebrating some of what this basketball team does well! That is why I chose this thread to comment on tonight’s Stink game. Folks on the game threads choose to focus too much on our weaknesses or shortcomings. I get it this is a bulletin board for discussion but hell, we all know and want us to shoot better from the FT line and do other things better but it’s damn time folks start realizing what this team is doing well and accomplishing and start praising and appreciating.

This team is special and Kerns wasn’t lying early in the season when he said we have 9 starters. All 9 are contributing in a variety of ways from game to game.

I missed attending the Auburn game due to attending the SBC Championship game at Troy but I have been to 5 of last 6 home games in Boone traveling from Fort Mill, SC. I also went to the games in Charlotte and Hickory. I know it’s not easy to make it on a regular basis for many but please find a way to support this program and make it up the mountain once or twice. You won’t be disappointed and the in game experience and support is so much better than +TV shows because I watch those replays too.

I love going on the court for the 15 minute meet and greets that the team allows after the games. It thrills me to be able to tell the players “well done, keep ballin’” during that session but I can tell it really means something to the players and Coach Kerns to hear the support. So find an excuse to get up the mountain and do the same. These guys are worthy, don’t take it for granted.

PBR-Hat-Guy, thanks again but as a section 111 guy at KBS, I’m ready to catch a few hat tosses at the Holmes too!

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:52 am

If we shot better from the field, the arc and the 3 point line and if we defended better we are probably undefeated. You can always pick apart any aspect of a team. A 16-4 record at the 2/3 mark of the season is phenomenal especially considering we won 16 games last season. I echo the sentiment that this team is just fun to watch. One of my major complaints as a now suffering Panthers fan is that they are not entertaining to watch. I can accept losses because they happen but at least be fun to watch. Our hoops team is absolutely fun.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:15 am

Ugh. The pain we all had to go through during the Fox and Capel seasons. It's great to be able to enjoy watching App State basketball again. Putting the numbers aside, this team just looks like they're a great bunch and enjoy playing for App State as a team.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

LongTimeAppFan

Unread post by LongTimeAppFan » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:07 am

APPChad90 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:07 am
Amen! Thank you PBR-Hat-Guy for celebrating some of what this basketball team does well! That is why I chose this thread to comment on tonight’s Stink game. Folks on the game threads choose to focus too much on our weaknesses or shortcomings. I get it this is a bulletin board for discussion but hell, we all know and want us to shoot better from the FT line and do other things better but it’s damn time folks start realizing what this team is doing well and accomplishing and start praising and appreciating.

This team is special and Kerns wasn’t lying early in the season when he said we have 9 starters. All 9 are contributing in a variety of ways from game to game.

I missed attending the Auburn game due to attending the SBC Championship game at Troy but I have been to 5 of last 6 home games in Boone traveling from Fort Mill, SC. I also went to the games in Charlotte and Hickory. I know it’s not easy to make it on a regular basis for many but please find a way to support this program and make it up the mountain once or twice. You won’t be disappointed and the in game experience and support is so much better than +TV shows because I watch those replays too.

I love going on the court for the 15 minute meet and greets that the team allows after the games. It thrills me to be able to tell the players “well done, keep ballin’” during that session but I can tell it really means something to the players and Coach Kerns to hear the support. So find an excuse to get up the mountain and do the same. These guys are worthy, don’t take it for granted.

PBR-Hat-Guy, thanks again but as a section 111 guy at KBS, I’m ready to catch a few hat tosses at the Holmes too!
I want to highlight a play from last night against Ga So. One of the best team plays I have seen in years. Around the 4:00 Minute mark of the first half. Gregory wins a 50/50 ball with great hussle at half court and sees Marsh on the side line. Throws to Marsh who makes a Larry Byrd like bound pass to CJ Huntley. Think about is.

Gregory...outstanding effort
Marsh...next level pass
CJ Huntley...the effort to run the length on the floor on a night with all the extra minutes due to Abson's foul trouble.

Special moment!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:24 am

So real question…is anyone tailgating for the JMU game or are the bars around Holmes about to get slammed?
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:43 am

My favorite play last night was Brown after getting upset with GS's Moore made the most athletic play I've seen this year (HM to Spillers CCU steal and dunk). He used his 40" vertical for a one handed steal and pass to the Abson slam. We have athletes everywhere.

Also as someone that was critical of Mantis for games 5-14 of the season, he's 10/23 or 43% the last six games. Glad to see his confidence return on the wing.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:50 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:24 am
So real question…is anyone tailgating for the JMU game or are the bars around Holmes about to get slammed?
If you're tailgating with alcohol, expect ASU PD to be there real quick. Basketball games are not "tailgate-able" events according to them and it's considered public intoxication.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:27 am

704App wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:50 am
APPdiesel wrote:
If you're tailgating with alcohol, expect ASU PD to be there real quick. Basketball games are not "tailgate-able" events according to them and it's considered public intoxication.
I'VE GOT IT....I'll put it in a coozie. They'll never know!

It would be interesting to see though if we're able to sustain better teams for a few years and attendance rises if any more bars will pop up around the arena. I know there's a few, but if attendance was good enough that it creates its own mini economy, that'd be interesting.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:34 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:43 am
My favorite play last night was Brown after getting upset with GS's Moore made the most athletic play I've seen this year (HM to Spillers CCU steal and dunk). He used his 40" vertical for a one handed steal and pass to the Abson slam. We have athletes everywhere.

Also as someone that was critical of Mantis for games 5-14 of the season, he's 10/23 or 43% the last six games. Glad to see his confidence return on the wing.
That play was unbelievable! Play of the game. The athletic ability it took to steal that pass, coupled with the laser of a touch pass to Abson… Incredible!

GO APPS!!

704App

Unread post by 704App » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:05 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:27 am
704App wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

It would be interesting to see though if we're able to sustain better teams for a few years and attendance rises if any more bars will pop up around the arena. I know there's a few, but if attendance was good enough that it creates its own mini economy, that'd be interesting.
Sure, but if you set up a tailgate, they'll be there quick and the coozie no longer covers the beer can fully. Speaking from experience.

Apologies for giving another App fan a heads up. Guess that's frowned upon or something .

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:21 pm

704App wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:05 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
704App wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

Sure, but if you set up a tailgate, they'll be there quick and the coozie no longer covers the beer can fully. Speaking from experience.

Apologies for giving another App fan a heads up. Guess that's frowned upon or something .
Solo cups are your best friend in this situation.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:21 pm

I was joking.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:25 am

704App wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:05 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
704App wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

Pretty sure he was joking. Definitely worth giving everyone a heads up though and thank you for doing so. Enjoy the game today gang!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”