Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB at Texas State, Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2024, 8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Straham Coliseum, ¡San Marcos!, Tx., Juego de trampa

T-Dog

MBB at Texas State, Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2024, 8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Straham Coliseum, ¡San Marcos!, Tx., Juego de trampa

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:49 pm

App State's last ever trip to Hanner Fieldhouse (GS is opening a new arena next year) was not fun. I'm guestimating here, but I feel that App trailed in Statesboro more than in the previous seven wins combined. Down by as many as 12 in the first half and by nine with 10 minutes to go, the Mountaineers held their poise and got to winning time with a chance to win. It didn't happen in regulation, but senior citizen Donovan Gregory got the tough bucket with 9 seconds left and tall dude Justin Abson blocked the attempted game-winning shot to escape Statesboro with a win.

Road wins are hard, especially in college basketball on Saturdays in rivalry games. The rabid crowd, the Eagles' offense finding success, just being in Statesboro and the officiating variable (Saturday Sun Belt refs are typically of lesser quality compared to weekday games due to the girth of games everywhere). Always celebrate your wins.

But don't celebrate too long, especially with a flight halfway across the country coming up. By chance, App's lone there-and-back road trip of Sun Belt play is to the further possible outpost; San Marcos, Texas.

The Bobcats had an awful January, going 1-7 and ending up last in the Sun Belt. But home cooking on the banks of the San Marcos River does wonders for the soul as Texas State finished strong to knock off South Alabama and Southern Miss this week, their first two-game win streak of the season. They're one short of a Lou Brown certified winning streak.

TxSt is last in the Sun Belt in scoring and 13th in 3-pointers, although 5th in FG%. They won this past week shooting 14.3% and 50% from three. What might surprise you is that going into this weekend, Texas State was first in the Sun Belt in (allowing) rebounding and they dominated the boards this weekend.

EDIT: Allowing rebounds. Not rebounding in general.

I think this comes down to whether Texas State can score. If they shoot >50% like GaSo did, they'll stay in it. App has scored 80+ in its last five games and 75+ in the last six, and four of those against repeat opponents. Texas State has only scored at least 75 twice in Sun Belt play. The battle down low will be interesting as well. They also need to stay below 15ish turnovers. Same could be said for the visitors.

This is where the second half of the season really begins IMO. Coastal, JMU and the GSUs are behind the team for now. Every game from here on is against a new opponent, minus the ODU and Marshall second matchups. Lots of new film to watch. Eight games to go.

Also, Troy kept on winning, so they remain a game back. Is it better to have a team nipping your heels to keep you focused? JMU also went 2-0 so they remain two games back. Louisiana has won seven in as row and are also two games back.

FYI, since I imagine 99% of you aren't going to San Marcos, make sure to get to Boone on Saturday, Feb. 10 for the Sun Belt/MAC challenge versus red-hot Toledo, tipoff at 1 p.m. Buy your tickets now in relative comfort and don't stand in line in the potential cold. Bring a friend and bring their friends, even if you don't know each other. Tell the students to fill it up.

But first, take care of Texas State on Wednesday, not Thursday.

Last edited by T-Dog on Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB at Texas State, Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2024, 8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Straham Coliseum, ¡San Marcos!, Tx., Juego de tram

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:10 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:49 pm

App State's last ever trip to Hanner Fieldhouse (GS is opening a new arena next year) was not fun. I'm guestimating here, but I feel that App trailed in Statesboro more than in the previous seven wins combined. Down by as many as 12 in the first half and by nine with 10 minutes to go, the Mountaineers held their poise and got to winning time with a chance to win. It didn't happen in regulation, but senior citizen Donovan Gregory got the tough bucket with 9 seconds left and tall dude Justin Abson blocked the attempted game-winning shot to escape Statesboro with a win.

Road wins are hard, especially in college basketball on Saturdays in rivalry games. The rabid crowd, the Eagles' offense finding success, just being in Statesboro and the officiating variable (Saturday Sun Belt refs are typically of lesser quality compared to weekday games due to the girth of games everywhere). Always celebrate your wins.

But don't celebrate too long, especially with a flight halfway across the country coming up. By chance, App's lone there-and-back road trip of Sun Belt play is to the further possible outpost; San Marcos, Texas.

The Bobcats had an awful January, going 1-7 and ending up last in the Sun Belt. But home cooking on the banks of the San Marcos River does wonders for the soul as Texas State finished strong to knock off South Alabama and Southern Miss this week, their first two-game win streak of the season. They're one short of a Lou Brown certified winning streak.

TxSt is last in the Sun Belt in scoring and 13th in 3-pointers, although 5th in FG%. They won this past week shooting 14.3% and 50% from three. What might surprise you is that going into this weekend, Texas State was first in the Sun Belt in rebounding and they dominated the boards this weekend.

I think this comes down to whether Texas State can score. If they shoot >50% like GaSo did, they'll stay in it. App has scored 80+ in its last five games and 75+ in the last six, and four of those against repeat opponents. Texas State has only scored at least 75 twice in Sun Belt play. The battle down low will be interesting as well. They also need to stay below 15ish turnovers. Same could be said for the visitors.

This is where the second half of the season really begins IMO. Coastal, JMU and the GSUs are behind the team for now. Every game from here on is against a new opponent, minus the ODU and Marshall second matchups. Lots of new film to watch. Eight games to go.

Also, Troy kept on winning, so they remain a game back. Is it better to have a team nipping your heels to keep you focused? JMU also went 2-0 so they remain two games back. Louisiana has won seven in as row and are also two games back.

FYI, since I imagine 99% of you aren't going to San Marcos, make sure to get to Boone on Saturday, Feb. 10 for the Sun Belt/MAC challenge versus red-hot Toledo, tipoff at 1 p.m. Buy your tickets now in relative comfort and don't stand in line in the potential cold. Bring a friend and bring their friends, even if you don't know each other. Tell the students to fill it up.

Yes

AppDub

Re: MBB at Texas State, Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2024, 8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Straham Coliseum, ¡San Marcos!, Tx., Juego de tram

Unread post by AppDub » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:13 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:49 pm

TxSt is last in the Sun Belt in scoring and 13th in 3-pointers, although 5th in FG%. They won this past week shooting 14.3% and 50% from three. What might surprise you is that going into this weekend, Texas State was first in the Sun Belt in rebounding and they dominated the boards this weekend.

Excellent write up! Just win baby!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:23 pm

It took me three times to post this thread because Justin Abson blocked the first two.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:27 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:23 pm
It took me three times to post this thread because Justin Abson blocked the first two.
We have so many pieces and Abson is one of them.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:34 pm

They looked pretty athletic tonight in their win against USM.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:55 am

At home..App by 11.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:59 am

This is one of those goofy (way too far to travel) conference games that can be a challenge to remain focused on. Just go there and play our game and get the W even if it's 8 points or so.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:44 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:59 am
This is one of those goofy (way too far to travel) conference games that can be a challenge to remain focused on. Just go there and play our game and get the W even if it's 8 points or so.
I'll take a one point OT win at this point. Then back home on a nine game winning streak.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:49 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
I’m figuring we take a plane.

A little too far to take the stairs..
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:35 am

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:49 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
I’m figuring we take a plane.
!

A little too far to take the stairs..
You are on a roll my friend

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:36 am

How about App, Charlotte (sorry haters) and High Point among the hottest teams in the country. I think I counted less than 10 teams with streaks of at least 8 straight wins to include these 3.

ncman071

Unread post by ncman071 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:09 pm

this is gonna be a gritty game imo...having to travel all the way out to san marcos....3rd straight road game...i believe we win by 6 or so...get that 20th win then come home and play strong against toledo

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:36 pm

ncman071 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:09 pm
this is gonna be a gritty game imo...having to travel all the way out to san marcos....3rd straight road game...i believe we win by 6 or so...get that 20th win then come home and play strong against toledo
Again, only the Coastal games have been breathers. We really haven’t dominated any other conference foes.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:22 pm

T-Dog, nice write up… always like your snark. I’d say though, not sure which rebounding stats you are going by, overall team rebounds for 23 games we’re at 982 like 42.7/game, which leads the SunBelt and TXST is like 839 for 23 games or 36 and change …. depending if you are going by total or average they are like 7th or so…. not terrible about mid pack…. go 1-0 baby.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:55 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:22 pm
T-Dog, nice write up… always like your snark. I’d say though, not sure which rebounding stats you are going by, overall team rebounds for 23 games we’re at 982 like 42.7/game, which leads the SunBelt and TXST is like 839 for 23 games or 36 and change …. depending if you are going by total or average they are like 7th or so…. not terrible about mid pack…. go 1-0 baby.
Thx.

Yeah I screwed up that part. Texas State allows the fewest opponent rebounds in the Sun Belt. Defensively, they are 12th in the Sun Belt in defensive rebounds.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:32 am

hapapp wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:36 pm
ncman071 wrote:
Again, only the Coastal games have been breathers. We really haven’t dominated any other conference foes.
I disagree. As someone said in another thread, context is everything. The final scores may not show a blowout, but App has spanked a fair share of conference foes. App lead almost wire-to-wire against GA State in both games. GA Southern led for exactly 30 seconds in the first game against App. Just because App didn't win by 30 doesn't mean they didn't control the entire game.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:49 am

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:32 am
hapapp wrote:
ncman071 wrote:
I disagree. As someone said in another thread, context is everything. The final scores may not show a blowout, but App has spanked a fair share of conference foes. App lead almost wire-to-wire against GA State in both games. GA Southern led for exactly 30 seconds in the first game against App. Just because App didn't win by 30 doesn't mean they didn't control the entire game.
So it's not enough to be 19-4, 10-1 in conference and a really good team now margin of victory is an issue? I have a hard time believing that the committee will ultimately break down teams to that degree. We have clearly demonstrated that we are really and have taken care of business (so far). How badly do we need to beat teams for it to be convincing? And if we destroy our conference teams that makes them look worse.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:03 am

hapapp wrote:
ncman071 wrote:
I think a lot of that is our style of offense and a defense first approach. The GSU game in Atlanta is about as close to a blowout as we'll likely see the rest of the way.

I'm not too worried about margin as long as we keep winning.
Last edited by JTApps1 on Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:03 am

If shots start falling from Harcum and Mantis for a whole game I could see some blowouts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”