Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sun Belt Announces 2023-24 Men’s Basketball Postseason Awards & All-Conference Teams

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sun Belt Announces 2023-24 Men’s Basketball Postseason Awards & All-Conference Teams

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:25 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:18 pm
Short Tate 6th man, good, he’s gonna go off
He was nominated. I would be curious to know how close that voting went but Conerway deserves it too. He averaged double digits and is a really good player. There are a lot deserving players. Some conferences do specialty teams and awards. I would be curious to see what all awards we would have if there was an honorable mention, all-defensive team, all-newcomer team, and all-freshman team.

AppStFan1

Re: Sun Belt Announces 2023-24 Men’s Basketball Postseason Awards & All-Conference Teams

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:27 pm

Someone on 247 mentioned that they heard freshmen and sophomores don't get named to the teams but Abson is a sophomore and was DEF POY plus 2 sophomores (one of them Terrence Edwards) made the All-Sun Belt team last year.

I would really be curious to see who the top 3-5 vote getters that did not make the 3rd team were because I would guess Abson would be on there and I am sure we had the runner-up or top 3 vote getter for 6th man and Newcomer.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:22 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:38 pm
Abson not on 1st or 2nd team?

Spillers > Bickerstaff for newcomer of the year, but otherwise good job. Gregory shuts down the OPOY in the tourney and gets the MVP.
Yeah, Spillers was on 1st team and Bickerstaff on 2nd team. HTF does that work that Bickerstaff get newcomer of the year when there was a newcomer ranked ahead of him?

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:48 am

I personally think that new comer OTY is a stupid award. To separate a group that transfers into the conference and pick the best of that group seems ridiculous to me. Just pick the best all around 15 players for teams 1-3 regardless of individual stats like points or rebounds. A guy could play 39 minutes a game and have a low shooting percentage but rack up 20 PPG. Conversely you have the best team playing 9 guys and spreading minutes with nobody averaging huge points. Coaches are going to vote for their guys which is understandable. What is crazy is Abson. Agree, how is he voted defensive POY and not a first team guy? I also get trying to spread the love but if you're the best that's it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:04 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:48 am
I personally think that new comer OTY is a stupid award. To separate a group that transfers into the conference and pick the best of that group seems ridiculous to me. Just pick the best all around 15 players for teams 1-3 regardless of individual stats like points or rebounds. A guy could play 39 minutes a game and have a low shooting percentage but rack up 20 PPG. Conversely you have the best team playing 9 guys and spreading minutes with nobody averaging huge points. Coaches are going to vote for their guys which is understandable. What is crazy is Abson. Agree, how is he voted defensive POY and not a first team guy? I also get trying to spread the love but if you're the best that's it.
Agree overall but I can see why Abson was not 1st team. Abson had low offensive output in a lot of games but I think he should have been 3rd team at least. Sun Belt has a lot of talent this year though. He was one of many who has an argument for being snubbed. Abson, Jacob Meyer of Coastal Carolina, Kevon Voyles of Marshall, and Nate Martin of Marshall were all names I could have seen make 3rd team.

I will take our regular season title over more awards any day of the week though. If we win the SBC tourney we will dominate the tourney awards though because there is no avoiding it. I would trade every individual award to win the SBC tourney and some NCAA tournament games though!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”