Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB vs Arkansas State, Sunday, March 10, 6 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Pensacola Bay Center, Pensacola, Fla., Sun Belt semis

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB vs Arkansas State, Sunday, March 10, 6 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Pensacola Bay Center, Pensacola, Fla., Sun Belt semis

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:57 am

RadioNeer98 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:29 am
I am beyond proud of this team this year. I am nearly 26 years old and this is the BEST App St basketball team I have ever had the ability to watch in my lifetime! It still stings and will for a few days. It feels awful that we will not get a crack at the NCAA tourny but hey such is life as a mid-major. I am hopeful that the NIT sees what Kerns and Co. have done this season and puts us in. Most of what I have seen has us traveling to Wake if we make the NIT.
Redemption from our last meeting. Give us the Deacs!!!

appgrad95&97

Re: MBB vs Arkansas State, Sunday, March 10, 6 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Pensacola Bay Center, Pensacola, Fla., Sun Belt semis

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:04 am

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:06 am
Seattleapp wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:32 pm
The stretch of kerns not recognizing that mantis was a liability was the sticking point. That was the change. It’s easy to make that substitution in a regular season game up 7 ad hide mantis but Kerns shoulda subbed mantis out asap and he didn’t. Arkansas state rightly feasted on this and we lost by a bucket
Yeah, Mantis has been such a liability for months and Kerns has been adamant about keeping him in even tho he doesn't offset his poor play with 3s all winter.

I know Marsh is small and young, but the effort he gives made him the much better player. Maybe Coach doesn’t think he’s ready for big minutes and the decision making that comes with it, but he was much better than Mantis since UL game (at least).
Blaming Mantis for last night seems like a stretch. He did not play well, but he was not alone. We lost by 2 on a last second shot. We got out rebounded by 9, how often did that happen this season? CJ and Spillers combined for 10 points and 4 rebounds. So let's blame them. Harcum missed some wide open 3s. So let's blame him. OR we could accept the fact that a great season ended poorly and not blame individual players who made this the best basketball ride in a quarter century.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:35 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:04 am
Seattleapp wrote:
The stretch of kerns not recognizing that mantis was a liability was the sticking point. That was the change. It’s easy to make that substitution in a regular season game up 7 ad hide mantis but Kerns shoulda subbed mantis out asap and he didn’t. Arkansas state rightly feasted on this and we lost by a bucket
Yeah, Mantis has been such a liability for months and Kerns has been adamant about keeping him in even tho he doesn't offset his poor play with 3s all winter.

I know Marsh is small and young, but the effort he gives made him the much better player. Maybe Coach doesn’t think he’s ready for big minutes and the decision making that comes with it, but he was much better than Mantis since UL game (at least).
Blaming Mantis for last night seems like a stretch. He did not play well, but he was not alone. We lost by 2 on a last second shot. We got out rebounded by 9, how often did that happen this season? CJ and Spillers combined for 10 points and 4 rebounds. So let's blame them. Harcum missed some wide open 3s. So let's blame him. OR we could accept the fact that a great season ended poorly and not blame individual players who made this the best basketball ride in a quarter century.
I don’t blame Mantis. I just want to know why he was put in a position to guard Fields. He would not be my choice to guard the other team’s star PG. That’s not his fault, though.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:41 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:35 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:04 am
Seattleapp wrote:

I don’t blame Mantis. I just want to know why he was put in a position to guard Fields. He would not be my choice to guard the other team’s star PG. That’s not his fault, though.
Didn't look to me like he was on Fields. There would be a screen and he would switch on to Fields and it cost him every time. I don't know if it's the players idea to switch or if the Coach's direction was to switch on screens. Either way, burnt us in the a$$. Our biggest problems were being outrebounded and our 2 big men only getting 7 shots on the night - Spillers was 3-3 and Abson 3-4. They needed to be fed more.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:42 am

We had many a game this year where quick guys beat our guys to the right off the dribble. We were able to negate a lot of baskets with our shot blockers. Yesterday our main problem was not blocking out and allowing way too many offensive rebounds and second chance opportunities for them. I don't think anyone's blaming Mantis for anything. He was just not the guy to try and guard their stud. Shit happens. Hopefully we get the NIT as that field should be pretty decent. How about a home game against UNCC or Wake?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:10 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:42 am
We had many a game this year where quick guys beat our guys to the right off the dribble. We were able to negate a lot of baskets with our shot blockers. Yesterday our main problem was not blocking out and allowing way too many offensive rebounds and second chance opportunities for them. I don't think anyone's blaming Mantis for anything. He was just not the guy to try and guard their stud. Shit happens. Hopefully we get the NIT as that field should be pretty decent. How about a home game against UNCC or Wake?
+

The way I read the new format, the six power conferences (P5 + Big East) that get two teams each get to host the opening round games. Then the next four best teams will get to host. There is a chance we will host but not against a team like Wake Forest. Charlotte would be a possibility. Currently, from the non P6, these schools have higher NET ratings than we do. Bradley, San Francisco, Memphis, New Mexico, and SMU. And, if Princeton, McNeese, or Grand Canyon fall in their tournaments they would likely still have better NET than we do. And if, JMU loses tonight, they likely would too. A lot obviously can happen over the next 7 days that would perhaps clarify our chances.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:18 am

Abson played with a significant ding. Others were limping off court prior to the games. No excuses, it’s part of the game. Interesting that the Arky players running full court and charging into our cheerleaders hasn’t been discussed here. At least from what I’ve read . It created a volatile situation that could have easily escalated. I’m certain that Gill will ignore it completely as he is useless.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:22 am

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:04 am
Long , restless night in Pensacola. Everyone hurting. A lot of arm chair coaching comments here on this Board. Fan support for our team at this tournament was far less than it should have been. Far less. We have a better team , now a better program, than in decades , and this is the level of support?
Pensacola is a good place to visit, somewhat centralized, but it's not the easiest place to get to. One of the downfalls of the large conference footprints we have these days. Our basketball history hasn't helped build a diehard following either. We need a string of good seasons to build it up.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:51 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:22 am
Stonewall wrote:
Long , restless night in Pensacola. Everyone hurting. A lot of arm chair coaching comments here on this Board. Fan support for our team at this tournament was far less than it should have been. Far less. We have a better team , now a better program, than in decades , and this is the level of support?
Pensacola is a good place to visit, somewhat centralized, but it's not the easiest place to get to. One of the downfalls of the large conference footprints we have these days. Our basketball history hasn't helped build a diehard following either. We need a string of good seasons to build it up.
Go where the SEC isn't between Nashville or Atlanta. Their tourney doesn't even start until ours finishes so the 2 tourneys could even be in the same city.
Charlotte a good 3rd option as well as the ACC rotates between Greensboro/CLT/NYC. Hate to say Memphis but that's a central location as well.
Needs to be a bigger city with more to do/flights are easily accessible. Not many will drive 13 hours (JMU) for Pensacola.

If they want to do destination locations... the west can have Pensacola but the East years rotation need to be Charleston, SC.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:15 am

311neers wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:51 am
JTApps1 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:22 am
Stonewall wrote:
Go where the SEC isn't between Nashville or Atlanta. Their tourney doesn't even start until ours finishes so the 2 tourneys could even be in the same city.
Charlotte a good 3rd option as well as the ACC rotates between Greensboro/CLT/NYC. Hate to say Memphis but that's a central location as well.
Needs to be a bigger city with more to do/flights are easily accessible. Not many will drive 13 hours (JMU) for Pensacola.

If they want to do destination locations... the west can have Pensacola but the East years rotation need to be Charleston, SC.
I like the Nashville or Atlanta idea.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:18 am

Generally speaking, Sun Belt teams have terrible home attendance. So I am not sure the location of the conference tournament really matters. Basically every team in the conference needs to build a fanbase. Pensacola seems like a good location for students on Spring Break. But I didn't see many students there for any team.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:24 am

The good thing about Pensacola is that it is equally inconvenient to everyone so nobody really has an advantage. Well, I guess South Alabama is really close but for most schools and fans it is a pita to get there. Heck I live in Florida and it is still a legit 7.5 hour drive or a short but expensive flight. Just no real cheap, easy way to get there.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:33 am

Arky St buzzer Beater is the first video at top of my ESPN App. That sucks😭
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:45 am

If it was anywhere in the Carolinas or Virginia this year attendance would be double. The condition of the court surface itself with condensation because of the ice underneath and warm air temperatures is another concern. I’ve never seen so many lose their footing on routine cuts.I think it cost us a key player.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:50 am

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:45 am
If it was anywhere in the Carolinas or Virginia this year attendance would be double. The condition of the court surface itself with condensation because of the ice underneath and warm air temperatures is another concern. I’ve never seen so many lose their footing on routine cuts.I think it cost us a key player.
I wonder if some of that was also due to the large SBC banner covering the middle of the court. It seems like those banners are hard to get a grip if a quick cut.
#99ForPresident!!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:54 am

Seattleapp wrote:

Yeah it’s not meant as a slam on Mantis more on Kerns for not recognizing the magnitude of the situation. Once you saw Mantis could not stay with anyone, you have to get him outta there if you are Kerns. Every bucket is crucial and Arkansas state immediately knew they could exploit that mismatch and they did and a big way. Very frustrating. I still don’t really understand why he was out there anyway

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:57 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:18 am
Generally speaking, Sun Belt teams have terrible home attendance. So I am not sure the location of the conference tournament really matters. Basically every team in the conference needs to build a fanbase. Pensacola seems like a good location for students on Spring Break. But I didn't see many students there for any team.
Of the remaining teams yesterday the average mileage away was like 700 miles. That’s really too far for most people to drive and flights aren’t cheap. Plus it’s on a Sunday/Monday

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:02 pm

I am serious...the Regular Season Champ should host OR break it into 2 regional tournaments with the champions of both playing on a Tuesday or Wednesday home game for the higher seed of the two finalist. And if we continue to Be ESPN's property we should push for a Tuesday Night game at the home of the highest rated champion from an East Tournament and a West tournament that is held at the East Champ Campus and the West Champ Campus. We are too big geographically to have a big crowd travel that far especially with the championship game on Monday. Or something like this.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:08 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:22 pm
Dang im heartbroken im not going to lie. I really thought we had something special. I feel like it’s a wasted season. Hate it for the players and fans.
Very tough indeed. This team could have done some damage in the tournament. Hopefully the bright spot is this keeps Kerns for one more year. We could be even better next year if he stays and we keep everyone that can come back.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:51 pm

Speaking of damage, I believe we can do more damage in the NIT than NCAA. Thus, in a way, this works to better our post season advantage. So to speak in laymen terms :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”