Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Angel steps down as WBB coach

JTApps1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Angel steps down as WBB coach

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:39 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:06 pm
It's disappointing to see Elderkin and the program lacking resources to consistently compete and win. Especially now, given how WBB is catching fire across the country. I'd love to see our fanbase get energized around the Lady Mountaineers like we have around the fellas.

BTW, this is another good example of why more folks should get involved with YC. It's not about how much one can/can't donate; rather, it's about what how we can help App State Athletics by getting involved.
Do we know for sure that our resources for women's basketball are that far off from others in the SBC?
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:38 am

Two for two from PC.Solid!

RiversRunsThroughIt

Unread post by RiversRunsThroughIt » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:07 pm

I’ll just put it all out there. YOLO

Marshall WBB went and spent 60k for two recruits through NIL. That’s 30k a pop. That’s the going rate. (Janay Sanders got 25k to go to Minnesota.) The Marshall AD rolled out the red carpet for her and prioritized WBB. Caldwell’s husband was given a job on the men’s staff. App WBB is over budget by no less than 10k Every. Single. Year. They eat at Olive Garden and Ruby Tuesday while on the road. They stay in Holiday Inn Express and Courtyard Marriotts.
If you know how D1 teams travel you’re laughing…or crying if you care at this point in the post.

FACT: WBB was denied a WBI bid this year because the money was “spent on a charter flight” to the conf tourney. A flight WBB didn’t ask for and only got because of the men and Title IX.

I like Doug, a lot. I think he’s been great for us but if we don’t get serious about properly funding all sports that aren’t FB and MBB there will always be massive hurdles that have to be overcome before you can start to really compete. I hope Coach Sharp played hard ball and was smart about asking for what she needs.
JTApps1 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:39 pm
Bootsy wrote:
It's disappointing to see Elderkin and the program lacking resources to consistently compete and win. Especially now, given how WBB is catching fire across the country. I'd love to see our fanbase get energized around the Lady Mountaineers like we have around the fellas.

BTW, this is another good example of why more folks should get involved with YC. It's not about how much one can/can't donate; rather, it's about what how we can help App State Athletics by getting involved.
Do we know for sure that our resources for women's basketball are that far off from others in the SBC?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:47 pm

RiversRunsThroughIt wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:07 pm

Marshall WBB went and spent 60k for two recruits through NIL. That’s 30k a pop. That’s the going rate. (Janay Sanders got 25k to go to Minnesota.) The Marshall AD rolled out the red carpet for her and prioritized WBB. Caldwell’s husband was given a job on the men’s staff. App WBB is over budget by no less than 10k Every. Single. Year. They eat at Olive Garden and Ruby Tuesday while on the road. They stay in Holiday Inn Express and Courtyard Marriotts.
If you know how D1 teams travel you’re laughing…or crying if you care at this point in the post.

FACT: WBB was denied a WBI bid this year because the money was “spent on a charter flight” to the conf tourney. A flight WBB didn’t ask for and only got because of the men and Title IX.

I like Doug, a lot. I think he’s been great for us but if we don’t get serious about properly funding all sports that aren’t FB and MBB there will always be massive hurdles that have to be overcome before you can start to really compete. I hope Coach Sharp played hard ball and was smart about asking for what she needs.
JTApps1 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

Doug isn’t the problem. He has X amount of dollars and is out hustling tonight actually for more. The problem is the “ fan base” . Some of the loudest complaints come from people that hardly give a nickel. The bottom line is that we have the athletic program that we can afford .

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:13 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:47 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

Doug isn’t the problem. He has X amount of dollars and is out hustling tonight actually for more. The problem is the “ fan base” . Some of the loudest complaints come from people that hardly give a nickel. The bottom line is that we have the athletic program that we can afford .
I wouldn’t be opposed to something like Doug moving to Charlotte full time and doing the bulk of his fundraising here.

Uncc got like $20MM from the ballantyne developer to expand a stadium that doesn’t need it. He had no connection to uncc.

I think we should make an effort to go after these people. We are in the Charlotte market, most of these people probably have a house or condo in banner elk Linville or blowing rock.

We are successful team I feel like there’s pretty wide appeal in Charlotte.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:37 pm

Stonewall wrote:

JTApps1 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

Our fundraising, ticket sales, and merchandising are at the top of the league. Where we come up short is the combination of institutional support and student fees. I combine those because every state reports it differently, but to me that's all money the institution puts towards athletics. We're one of the bottom three or four in the league in those areas. As Stonewall said, Gillin can only give teams the money he's given to work with. The school has to step up support if they want us to succeed across the board.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:12 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:13 pm
Stonewall wrote:

JTApps1 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

I wouldn’t be opposed to something like Doug moving to Charlotte full time and doing the bulk of his fundraising here.

Uncc got like $20MM from the ballantyne developer to expand a stadium that doesn’t need it. He had no connection to uncc.

I think we should make an effort to go after these people. We are in the Charlotte market, most of these people probably have a house or condo in banner elk Linville or blowing rock.

I had never really given this consideration. With App being known as a premier teacher's college, you just aren't going to have the wealthy donor group that other schools have, no matter how many folks go through the business college as well. However, you could attract, for lack of a better term, "Walmart fans." Obviously, App wouldn't have the status of Duke or UNC in that regard, but why can't App be the collegiate team of western NC? Sell it as community investment. It might not work, but it's worth a shot!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:25 am

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:12 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

JTApps1 wrote:

I had never really given this consideration. With App being known as a premier teacher's college, you just aren't going to have the wealthy donor group that other schools have, no matter how many folks go through the business college as well. However, you could attract, for lack of a better term, "Walmart fans." Obviously, App wouldn't have the status of Duke or UNC in that regard, but why can't App be the collegiate team of western NC? Sell it as community investment. It might not work, but it's worth a shot!
I am genuinely curious as I have no clue. What % of current student population are education majors? Is it a significant majority..or are we more well rounded as compared to 20 years ago..may be wrong, but feel App is more diverse these days. But still not graduating doctors, lawyers, engineers like other schools.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:37 am

Would those type of degrees necessarily lead to more,or larger donations? Looking at our peers and their Yosef Club equivalent donor arms, ECU has the medical school and Charlotte produces engineers and their donor bases are larger and don’t generate much more than App gets from its donor base.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:43 am

MrCraig wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

JTApps1 wrote:

What would the end result look like?

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:22 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:43 am
MrCraig wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (25.18 KiB) Viewed 879 times

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:53 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Well, here's where we might get a bit controversial, but more people coming to the high country, either permanently or as tourists.
I've spent a large portion of my life in WNC and all my life in the rural south, so I know what a double edged sword growth can be. Especially just growth for the sake of growth. But there's lots of money to be made in being "the next Asheville." App athletics could be a part of that. As I hinted before, it's a stretch, but it's not completely crazy to imagine a world where people who didn't go to App come to Boone to watch App football/baseball/basketball and also take in all the natural attractions the area has to offer.

I'm not saying it's a good idea. But it is, in fact, an idea.

RiversRunsThroughIt

Unread post by RiversRunsThroughIt » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:55 pm

That’s a legitimate take. There are very few colleges in NC in “destination cities”. We may have the best. Nobody goes to Greenville for a vacation.

Bottom line, App nation has to pony up. If the athletic departments hands are as tied as they make it out to be. It’ll be up to the average Yosef members to make a lasting difference.

Basketball specifically, there is a massive financial gap in the sun belt. But again, if you want to compete now in this new NIL world, you better pony up. The ULM’s and Marshall’s of WBB don’t do what they did this year without great support. WBB is long overdue for what they need. Now or never!!
MrCraig wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:53 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Well, here's where we might get a bit controversial, but more people coming to the high country, either permanently or as tourists.
I've spent a large portion of my life in WNC and all my life in the rural south, so I know what a double edged sword growth can be. Especially just growth for the sake of growth. But there's lots of money to be made in being "the next Asheville." App athletics could be a part of that. As I hinted before, it's a stretch, but it's not completely crazy to imagine a world where people who didn't go to App come to Boone to watch App football/baseball/basketball and also take in all the natural attractions the area has to offer.

I'm not saying it's a good idea. But it is, in fact, an idea.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:59 pm

Appalachian State University Majors
Ten Most Popular Majors for 2022 Graduates

Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services 20%

Health Professions and Related Programs 10%

Education 9%

Parks, Recreation, Leisure, Fitness, and Kinesiology 9%

Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs 8%

Psychology 7%

Social Sciences 6%

Visual and Performing Arts 6%

Biological and Biomedical Sciences 4%

Homeland Security, Law Enforcement, Firefighting and Related Protective Services 3%

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ap ... /academics

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:05 am

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:50 am

hapapp wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:05 am
Presser for Coach Sharp.
https://www.youtube.com/live/Kjd8-VHFUx ... q8RDUXPXE7
I enjoyed talking with her on the tour stop. She is committed to winning both on and off the court.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:56 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:50 am
hapapp wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:05 am
Presser for Coach Sharp.
https://www.youtube.com/live/Kjd8-VHFUx ... q8RDUXPXE7
I enjoyed talking with her on the tour stop. She is committed to winning both on and off the court.
Winning championships and a world class education...all while living in heaven on earth...could not resist 😂😂

Hope she is good. Be nice to have both BB teams winning on a consistent basis.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:27 am

I think I’m in love.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:14 am

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:27 am
I think I’m in love.
Really good press conference! Have to be optimistic about the team after hearing her.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:11 am

Coach Sharp's hiring is a great move. And that's saying nothing against Angel; she's a great person and persevered through a lot of trials while leading WBB for 14 years.

Sometimes it's good to bring in someone to reignite the spark and get people excited. The timing couldn't be better.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”