Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:46 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:08 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:04 am
9Steelman wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:25 pm
Bad day at blackrock! I am an alumni, 2 degrees, season ticket holder FB & BB since early 90"s, and Yosef donor for 30 years. I have put a lot of effort in getting to know the BB players and parents trying to make them feel special and wanted building relationships. I know this is not the same as Marshall losing their FB team 50+ years ago and I cannot imagine how that felt for the Marshall folks, but I feel so sad and deflated right now. We had a great year. I enjoyed being part of it and was hoping for continue fun and success with the players we could have had returning because I love App State basketball. PS Thank you Donovan and CJ. There are a lot of players in the portal who would love to be part of the App State culture, just got to find the right ones. We will all get thru this sad deflated feeling we have right now because " WE ARE APP STATE! "
Very true. Players like Donovan and CJ are indeed among the good ones out there. Thank you to both of them!

So many questions for our basketball program that seemed to be more solid. We know teams would come calling but I thought those guys would stay to finish the job if Kerns stays. I hope we will find out on Kerns pretty quickly.
The others are not "bad ones". Not saying that is what you are insinuating..The kids are are just doing what the system allows.
A big reason I think Kerns is going to leave is because I think these are good kids who would want to finish the mission and return. If Kerns returns though I will be disappointed in their decisions. I want to see what happens. The fact the system allows this just ruins any enthusiasm I had for next year.

This very thing is a big reason why I won't give to NIL collectives or participate in pay to play of any kind. We just don't have the capability to outbid these ACC, Big East, SEC, etc teams and so I see no reason in participating in pay to play. I am all for true NIL but these collectives are literally meant to pay players to stay and play and I just won't do it. I want players who want to be here. I rather lose doing this the right way than win by bribing kids to stay.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:03 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:46 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
9Steelman wrote:
Bad day at blackrock! I am an alumni, 2 degrees, season ticket holder FB & BB since early 90"s, and Yosef donor for 30 years. I have put a lot of effort in getting to know the BB players and parents trying to make them feel special and wanted building relationships. I know this is not the same as Marshall losing their FB team 50+ years ago and I cannot imagine how that felt for the Marshall folks, but I feel so sad and deflated right now. We had a great year. I enjoyed being part of it and was hoping for continue fun and success with the players we could have had returning because I love App State basketball. PS Thank you Donovan and CJ. There are a lot of players in the portal who would love to be part of the App State culture, just got to find the right ones. We will all get thru this sad deflated feeling we have right now because " WE ARE APP STATE! "
Very true. Players like Donovan and CJ are indeed among the good ones out there. Thank you to both of them!

So many questions for our basketball program that seemed to be more solid. We know teams would come calling but I thought those guys would stay to finish the job if Kerns stays. I hope we will find out on Kerns pretty quickly.
The others are not "bad ones". Not saying that is what you are insinuating..The kids are are just doing what the system allows.
A big reason I think Kerns is going to leave is because I think these are good kids who would want to finish the job and return. If Kerns returns though I will be disappointed in their decisions. I want to see what happens. The fact the system allows this just ruins any enthusiasm I had for next year.

This very thing is a big reason why I won't give to NIL collectives or participate in pay to play of any kind. We just don't have the capability to outbid these ACC, Big East, SEC, etc teams and so I see no reason in participating in pay to play. I am all for true NIL but these collectives are literally meant to pay players to stay and play and I just won't do it. I want players who want to be here. I rather lose doing this the right way than win by bribing kids to stay.
Most of these guys could not care less about returning and "finishing the job".

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:07 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:03 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
9Steelman wrote:

A big reason I think Kerns is going to leave is because I think these are good kids who would want to finish the job and return. If Kerns returns though I will be disappointed in their decisions. I want to see what happens. The fact the system allows this just ruins any enthusiasm I had for next year.

Most of these guys could not care less about returning and "finishing the job".
They are showing us that so why should we care extra and show them all this love when the reality is that many don't care about anything we can do for them unless we pay them big money. We have to remember that we can't financially compete with these power programs. They can literally tamper, poach, and drain our roster and there is nothing we can do about it.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:25 am

Let's see where these guys end up. If they go to ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, or SEC programs good for them. Not much we could have done. BUT if they end up a mid-majors, that says something about our program.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:28 am

South Carolina’s leading scorer entered the portal.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:30 am

This is the first portal season where we are going to see guys transfer up or transfer to better NIL $$. With the exception of Kendall Lewis who transferred to Illinois State and concluded his career with 1k+ career pts (could you imagine if we had him this year in the mix!) all of our previous transfer departures have transferred down and not really panned out

The sky isn't falling, we just finally were at a place where talent could go elsewhere. Again respect to Don who could have easily transferred to a HM for his last ride, and if Shabazz or Delph were a few years younger and played in this era they likely would have went portaling too

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:35 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
9Steelman wrote:

A big reason I think Kerns is going to leave is because I think these are good kids who would want to finish the mission and return. If Kerns returns though I will be disappointed in their decisions. I want to see what happens. The fact the system allows this just ruins any enthusiasm I had for next year.

I think all of this is a mess, its just totally changed and potentially has ruined the college game. That said, I'm not worried about being outbid by the P5 schools, my concern is being outbid by our Sun Belt brethren.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:49 am

hapapp wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:35 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
9Steelman wrote:

I think all of this is a mess, its just totally changed and potentially has ruined the college game. That said, I'm not worried about being outbid by the P5 schools, my concern is being outbid by our Sun Belt brethren.
I completely understand that. My point is that we will likely have to outbid power schools just to keep Abson, Spillers, etc. I don't see them going to a SBC program.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:52 am

hapapp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
9Steelman wrote:

Or any other mid major conference.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:57 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:25 am
Let's see where these guys end up. If they go to ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, or SEC programs good for them. Not much we could have done. BUT if they end up a mid-majors, that says something about our program.
Based on talent of Abson and Spillers I 100% expect them to be in one of those conferences.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:00 am

1. This is a real bummer; this team was a joy to watch play all season, and I hate that they are leaving.
2. I totally understand from their perspective, and don't blame them one bit. Most of us have probably changed jobs for a better opportunity at some point in our lives.
3. It works both ways...some of the guys came TO us from the portal...none of us had a problem with that. So let's go out and get the best guys we can from the portal...the smaller school players who are better than projected but not quite P5 level; the highly touted P5 recruits who aren't getting the playing time they thought....our bball program profile hasn't been this high, maybe ever...we're more attractive than we were a year ago. And now anyone considering the portal knows there are open spots and playing time for them at App. What if we end up better?

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:03 am

Athletic donations at schools like ASU are likely to take a hit long term.

rbarthle17
Site Admin

Re: Portal season (Abson, etc)

Unread post by rbarthle17 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:31 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:17 am
I have nothing good to write.

We have raised the most entitled generation in history.

There is a reason why the best in the coaching world are retiring.

The future is not good unless congress addresses this issue.
You are as wrong as can be on this. This is not an entitled generation, this is a generation that understands its worth. The entitled ones are the coaches and administrations that have been raking in obscene amounts of money on the backs of these kids, and now that they have to share in it, they have issue with it.

And this is also capitalism at work. So you want Congress to reign in the financial ideals this country is supposed to be based on just because it's not going your way this time?

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:44 am

rbarthle17 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:31 am
PhillyApp1 wrote:

You are as wrong as can be on this. This is not an entitled generation, this is a generation that understands its worth. The entitled ones are the coaches and administrations that have been raking in obscene amounts of money on the backs of these kids, and now that they have to share in it, they have issue with it.

And this is also capitalism at work. So you want Congress to reign in the financial ideals this country is supposed to be based on just because it's not going your way this time?
Sorry, I was too vague.
But don't want to go there on the thread

Capitalism needs management

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:57 am

rbarthle17 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:31 am
PhillyApp1 wrote:

But they aren’t sharing it. They are passing the buck to its donors. The schools are still raking it in and the fans are footing the bill for their share. That’s not Capitalism. That’s politics.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:05 am

Please define/quantify "obscene" as it pertains to App State athletics. How many young people are forced to play college athletics? Last time I checked it's zero. There is a canyon of difference between App State athletics and Georgia athletics. The hourly demands, if I'm not mistaken are the same at both schools yet the revenue generated is not even close. I'll ask again, does the freshman third team linebacker at App "deserve" the same amount of money as the starter or even the 3rd team linebacker at Georgia? It's simply too easy to arbitrarily say things like deserve or on the backs of or even "obscene amounts of money" but it's far more difficult to financially quantify it.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:22 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
I think it depends on the individual program. There are plenty of schools in those power conferences that aren't any nicer, bigger, or wealthier than App State. I'll be kinda ticked if some of these guys end up at some bottom feeder in a power conferences, or transfer just to ride pine at a big school.

Like I said earlier, I'd have no problem with a guy transferring to Hawaii or LA or something. But transferring to Starkville or College Station or Tallahassee just doesn't make sense to me. But that's just me.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:15 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:49 am
hapapp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

I completely understand that. My point is that we will likely have to outbid power schools just to keep Abson, Spillers, etc. I don't see them going to a SBC program.
But there are plenty of mid majors that might be able to offer them more than we can. Moreover, I'm talking all sports not just basketball. And, we have had players leave our program for other SBC schools.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:16 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:57 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Based on talent of Abson and Spillers I 100% expect them to be in one of those conferences.
First, I love these guys and really appreciate what they did at App. BUT, Abson averaged (basically) 8 points, 7 rebounds, and 2.8 blocks a game in the SUN BELT. How does that make him a starter in, say the ACC? Spillers was at a JoCo last year and averaged 13 points and 9 rebounds, again in the SUN BELT. Where in the ACC (just a regional example) do they start? Louisville? Georgia Tech? BC? It's an honest question.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:23 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:16 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:57 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
First, I love these guys and really appreciate what they did at App. BUT, Abson averaged (basically) 8 points, 7 rebounds, and 2.8 blocks a game in the SUN BELT. How does that make him a starter in, say the ACC? Spillers was at a JoCo last year and averaged 13 points and 9 rebounds, again in the SUN BELT. Where in the ACC (just a regional example) do they start? Louisville? Georgia Tech? BC? It's an honest question.
Obviously just a post elsewhere but was said that Wake is interested in Spillers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”