Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:31 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:24 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:04 pm
Spillers has narrowed down to 4 schools. Rumors are that Spillers had been hearing from Wake for a few weeks, well before we played them. Kerns knew it and I am sure he was upset with the Wake Forest coach. I wonder how much money Wake Forest offered him.

https://x.com/336Edits/status/1774489441517678693?s=20
Explains his reaction during the Wake game.
When I heard that I thought the same thing.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:52 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:54 pm
hapapp wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:14 pm
Nineteen of the 40 starters in the elite 8 began their careers somewhere other than the team they started for this weekend.
Did anyone other than Duke have all original starters?
Tennessee had 4 originals. Purdue might have 5. I should have posted the link.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:28 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:21 am
What do some you NIL knowledgeable guys think is "big money" that Spillers and Abson are likely to get? Are they really 6 figure power school guys? Abson will need to develop more of a back to the basket offensive game. He won't get so many dumb shot attempts from higher level competition to block like he saw this season. Spillers can probably play at most levels but must be envisioning a big payday- can't blame him but I really don't see huge money.
Big men will be serviceable back ups. Spiller has one year, he got his stats because teams were worried about Gregory first, Abson 2nd -- if he can't make an outside shot he just be a rebounder his stats will be cut in half and his scoring will drop lower than half in the ACC.

Abson will set ball screens for ACC guards and play defense. He won't be a scorer in the ACC or High Level. He can't score consistent in the SBC he can;t score in a bigger conference.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:29 pm

But they get paid…. Doesn’t seem they care

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:53 pm

Simple question to the group. If you or your child were in a similar situation would you advise them to stay or go? And when I say situation, take out your love for App and think about in terms of your kid, who doesn’t have that same love or devotion. I’m not saying that these are sound decisions, I’m just pointing out that we don’t know the personal motivations and without that information, are we in a position judge?

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:01 pm

If someone paid me double to do less, I'm out that door. Regardless of armchair QBs and their self-centered opinions, you have to look out for yourself and your family first. Sports fans are the biggest snowflakes in the world.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:11 pm

For me, it would depend on the background. If ABC school I am currently at were my dream school to play basketball, then it is potentially a more difficult decision if I am happy and nil is the only factor playing into the decision. I would say it would have to be a decent chunk of change.
Same scenario as above with a tweak that the culture is a killer, then I am out no matter what..No desire to be in that environment. I could be bought for less.😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:13 pm

It depends. All things equal including getting a degree, take the money if that’s what’s driving you. If you aren’t then you are likely making a bad long term decision.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:19 pm

If I know I’m not going to play pro….Im going to get the check and a degree .

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:34 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:19 pm
If I know I’m not going to play pro….Im going to get the check and a degree .
The key you said is the check and the degree. I think many of these guys are just thinking money now and not even thinking about the degree. I do think Abson and Spillers are going to play pro ball somewhere after college.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:44 pm

Knowing them , some pretty well , others not so much , I think it might be half that graduate . Somewhere. I hope for better.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:32 pm

Don't know if this as already been posted, but here you go:

Former Appalachian State Forward Tre'Von Spillers Names Top Four Schools

Spillers' top schools are UAB, LSU, Arkansas, and Wake Forest.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... f10b&ei=67

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:34 pm

Of course it would depend on the amount of $ offered but I tend toward take the money
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:58 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:28 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:21 am
What do some you NIL knowledgeable guys think is "big money" that Spillers and Abson are likely to get? Are they really 6 figure power school guys? Abson will need to develop more of a back to the basket offensive game. He won't get so many dumb shot attempts from higher level competition to block like he saw this season. Spillers can probably play at most levels but must be envisioning a big payday- can't blame him but I really don't see huge money.
Big men will be serviceable back ups. Spiller has one year, he got his stats because teams were worried about Gregory first, Abson 2nd -- if he can't make an outside shot he just be a rebounder his stats will be cut in half and his scoring will drop lower than half in the ACC.

Abson will set ball screens for ACC guards and play defense. He won't be a scorer in the ACC or High Level. He can't score consistent in the SBC he can;t score in a bigger conference.
Which is why I’ve said all along that someone that is desperate will pay them. Both were good for us, but tweeners at next level. Spillers didn’t use his right hand all year- Not going to fly at P5 level. Abson a step too slow but defense will land him somewhere

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:24 am

I liked our roster this season and totally understand guys considering "bigger" NIL offers elsewhere. That said I think the individual success some had this season was driven as much by talent as the scheme / team around them. I think Abson/Spillers/etc are super capable guys and loved having them. I'm sure they'll be successful elsewhere, but I'm not sure to the same degree they were at App where there was complete buyin defensively (execution from a couple was rough but at least the effort was always there).

I don't begrudge any of these guys getting paid while they can. I'm hoping Kerns or the University communicate something this week about where things sit (extension, etc).

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:01 am

The only communication that I would expect is if there is an extension to his contract. He still has two years left so it isn’t necessarily going to be done. While it might provide stability, I don’t necessarily believe that it will be a factor in some guys taking their names out of the portal. It could happen regardless.

There is a lot of unknowns driving some anxiousness and rumors. Let’s focus on what we do know. We will have a coach next season and we will have a roster full of guys that can play. No we will not have the same team as last year but we all knew that before last week. Gregory and Huntley were gone regardless and chemistry matters. Turnover is the nature of the beast.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:37 am

Going to be interested to track the guys that don't land anywhere across the basketball landscape.

I felt in football some used the portal to gracefully exit football all together. In basketball I think the vast majority of these guys believe they are going to be playing basketball next year. Reality is going to hurt.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:35 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:01 am
The only communication that I would expect is if there is an extension to his contract. He still has two years left so it isn’t necessarily going to be done. While it might provide stability, I don’t necessarily believe that it will be a factor in some guys taking their names out of the portal. It could happen regardless.

There is a lot of unknowns driving some anxiousness and rumors. Let’s focus on what we do know. We will have a coach next season and we will have a roster full of guys that can play. No we will not have the same team as last year but we all knew that before last week. Gregory and Huntley were gone regardless and chemistry matters. Turnover is the nature of the beast.
If just Spillers and Abson entered that would lower expectations but the mass exodus had people wondering if Kerns is gone or something major happened behind the scenes. Other teams have lost a few players to the portal but the only teams who have had a major loss of basically all scholarship players with extensive time besides us are all having a coaching change.

I don't have any clue when we will hear something but I don't see any way that an extension or new deal announcement does not come soon. If Kerns is able to get us back to the top of league standings after this mass turnover I would think he will be a hot name and we should be prepared by working on a higher buyout so we at least get value back.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:37 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:37 am
Going to be interested to track the guys that don't land anywhere across the basketball landscape.

I felt in football some used the portal to gracefully exit football all together. In basketball I think the vast majority of these guys believe they are going to be playing basketball next year. Reality is going to hurt.
I am thinking the same thing. I don't think any of our players who entered the portal expect to get nothing for sure. I have wondered if they assumed Kerns would get interest from other jobs and wanted to get ahead of things by testing the waters? I am hopeful that a few of them withdraw from portal because otherwise Kerns has a huge hill to climb to fill out the roster.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:46 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:53 pm
Simple question to the group. If you or your child were in a similar situation would you advise them to stay or go? And when I say situation, take out your love for App and think about in terms of your kid, who doesn’t have that same love or devotion. I’m not saying that these are sound decisions, I’m just pointing out that we don’t know the personal motivations and without that information, are we in a position judge?
If my kid had a chance at a truly big pay day, it would be really hard not to advise him/her to take it. That said, I don't think the pay day issue is quite as big as some represent it. I know it's real but some of the guys leaving App, I just don't see getting that big pay. It's hard for me to understand a backup player with a shot at starting leaving for another school, unless there are other issues.

I can't really blame the kids, but it's just a hard thing to watch.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”