Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:47 am

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:45 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:28 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:00 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:52 am
ECU has 9 in the portal
Has their coach publicly announced that he is coming back?
Surprisingly, I don't believe there has been any type of announcement :lol:
The only announcement myself and others expect is a reworked contract with Kerns. According to online articles he was only paid 325k plus incentives. He needs to be the highest paid coach in the SBC for next year. I am hoping they get a completely new contract so we can get a high buyout if a power school offers him next year.
The new JMU guy got 600k/year.

The JMU’s athletic department invest…errr I mean student fees have got to help them make that pay range.
Don’t they have to reduce some of their dependency of student fees?

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:50 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:12 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:05 am
Just to circle back on paying college players (I have grown to hate the term student athlete) as an example how many number 14 jerseys do y'all think the school sold whether it be at the student Union, the stadium or some other outlet when AE played? Nobody really randomly bought a 14 just because there was a rack of 50 different numbers. No idea how much one went for but if he had been paid $1-$2 (or whatever) he would have made a nice extra income. Same can be said for most star players.
I don’t think that was allowed until recently.
I was really wondering IF it was allowed would he (as an example) made any real money? Are App jerseys sold in any real volume? Are names on them now?

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:53 am

You know, if we ended both basketball programs, we might have enough money for about 2% of the stadium project. Maybe that's the funding plan. 😉

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:04 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:50 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:12 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:05 am
Just to circle back on paying college players (I have grown to hate the term student athlete) as an example how many number 14 jerseys do y'all think the school sold whether it be at the student Union, the stadium or some other outlet when AE played? Nobody really randomly bought a 14 just because there was a rack of 50 different numbers. No idea how much one went for but if he had been paid $1-$2 (or whatever) he would have made a nice extra income. Same can be said for most star players.
I don’t think that was allowed until recently.
I was really wondering IF it was allowed would he (as an example) made any real money? Are App jerseys sold in any real volume? Are names on them now?
He probably would have earned enough to buy a better lawnmower.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:32 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:47 am
GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:45 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:28 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:00 am

Has their coach publicly announced that he is coming back?
Surprisingly, I don't believe there has been any type of announcement :lol:
The only announcement myself and others expect is a reworked contract with Kerns. According to online articles he was only paid 325k plus incentives. He needs to be the highest paid coach in the SBC for next year. I am hoping they get a completely new contract so we can get a high buyout if a power school offers him next year.
The new JMU guy got 600k/year.

The JMU’s athletic department invest…errr I mean student fees have got to help them make that pay range.
Don’t they have to reduce some of their dependency of student fees?
Yes by state law, they are required to reduce their student fees to 55% over graduated period (I don't remember the time frame). Of course, while most schools don't supplement their athletic budget with student fees to JMU's level, they still rely on a lot of institutional support. The Louisiana schools gain little to nothing from student fees, they receive a lot of institutional support.

https://knightnewhousedata.org/reports/e291626a

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:09 am

Seeing some players pull out of the portal. Xavier Brown at JMU returning. That's a good sign for them.

Looks like the coaching staff made another offer yesterday. Lots of guards on offer lol.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:11 am

To me it is an easy "get around". Have the university buy sponsorship signs in the stadium. AppState Football....Sponsored by Appalachian State University. The money comes from the Marketing budget of the school. No problem. Make the "Student fee" just a "fee" that goes to the Marketing budget and have the football Basketball team market the school.

Nothing illegal in that situation. It "is" what "is" happening. (No Bill Clinton jokes here.)

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:04 pm

I would never ever send my kids to a college that underhandidly funneled my money to pay athletes salaries. If someone wants to throw their money away in NIL then more power to them, but if a college ever started funneling student fees to pay athlete salaries I hope they get sued into oblivion and all the admin fired.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:12 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:04 pm
I would never ever send my kids to a college that underhandidly funneled my money to pay athletes salaries. If someone wants to throw their money away in NIL then more power to them, but if a college ever started funneling student fees to pay athlete salaries I hope they get sued into oblivion and all the admin fired.
I am pretty sure that a percentage of student fees at most schools goes towards athletics and it wouldn't surprise me at all if some or all athletic staff salaries are paid out of that pot. How do you think most smaller schools fund their athletic programs? While they may label the line item as something else, most (if not all) of the money for the running of the school (including athletics) comes from tuition and fees.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:28 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:12 pm
appdaze wrote:
I am pretty sure that a percentage of student fees at most schools goes towards athletics and it wouldn't surprise me at all if some or all athletic staff salaries are paid out of that pot. How do you think most smaller schools fund their athletic programs? While they may label the line item as something else, most (if not all) of the money for the running of the school (including athletics) comes from tuition and fees.
That is correct, but that is not NIL money going into mercenary athlete pockets. I am referring to those fees being siphoned into NIL payments to athletes.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:31 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:28 pm
t4pizza wrote:
appdaze wrote:
That is correct, but that is not NIL money going into mercenary athlete pockets. I am referring to those fees being siphoned into NIL payments to athletes.
We don't have to worry about that, yet. Currently the schools can't give NIL but it is just a matter of time before some big money school tries it and then threatens to sue the NCAA if they say anything about it. Once that happens, then all schools will slowly shift that way. It truly is the wild wild west and there is no sheriff in town because the Supremes said that having a sheriff was violative of anti trust laws.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:51 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:31 pm
appdaze wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
appdaze wrote:
We don't have to worry about that, yet. Currently the schools can't give NIL but it is just a matter of time before some big money school tries it and then threatens to sue the NCAA if they say anything about it. Once that happens, then all schools will slowly shift that way. It truly is the wild wild west and there is no sheriff in town because the Supremes said that having a sheriff was violative of anti trust laws.
Actually, there is a recent proposal that would allow for schools to have an internally funded NIL. The proposal required an opt in effort and put restrictions on how and who the funds were allocated to.

https://www.burr.com/newsroom/articles/ ... %20parties.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:09 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:51 pm
t4pizza wrote:
appdaze wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Actually, there is a recent proposal that would allow for schools to have an internally funded NIL. The proposal required an opt in effort and put restrictions on how and who the funds were allocated to.

Never thought I would say something like this with my preference toward a mostly capitalist mixed economy, but if that happens I hope the government steps in and slaps down a hard correction on the entire nations university systems. If they start spending non athletic money and siphoning other money pots and tax money into NIL collectives then they have lost all sight of what higher education should be aimed at and need a severe reckoning.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:25 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:51 pm
t4pizza wrote:
appdaze wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
appdaze wrote:

It looks to me that you only can field so many athletes and you cannot have everyone at your school. So the schools can only pay so many students. All NIL has really done is get rid of the bag men or bag women. If it all goes long enough and as it has been in the past athletes will be paid not to play at all or at least not at other rival schools. I heard once that Alabama had 300 football scholarships just to keep those athletes from playing at someone else's school.

It is all in an effort to have a competitive balance. I think that the NIL and Transfer Portal will balance out everything. Players are not always looking for more money some just want to be closer to home regardless of what they are being paid be it in scholarship or NIL It is better to be somewhere you fit and given the option to make a change when you do not fit.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:32 pm

t4pizza wrote:
appdaze wrote:
If you read the Knight Commission reports, there are more Student Fees (and a much higher percentage of the athletic budget funded by student fees at the G5 level than the p5 level: https://www.knightcommission.org/wp-con ... Graphs.pdf

SEC in 2022 $11.85M in student fees providing 1% of their revenue. (total revenue $2.168B)
ACC in 2022 $58.8M in student fees providing 5% of their revenue (total revenue $1.072M
American in 2022 $72.33M in student fees providing 17% of their revenue ($423.9M in total revenue)
Sun Belt in 2022. $84.47M in student fees providing 24% of their revenue ($354.6M in total revenue)
MAC in 2022 $80.86M in student fees providing 21% of their revenue ($390.07M in total revenue)
Conference USA $161.93M in student fees providing 33% of their revenue ($496.22M in total revenue)

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:28 pm

JMU is adding varsity lacrosse, in the ACC.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:46 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:28 pm
JMU is adding varsity lacrosse, in the ACC.
The next ACC school: JMU. Why didn't ECU think of that?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:01 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:19 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:24 am
Just imagine if shortly after the Wake loss, Kerns made a statement about the historic season, thanked the players and the fans. And said something about taking more stairs next year...
Go back and listen to the postgame show from our radio broadcast. He basically said all of this.
Spot on, JTApps1. I heard it that night on the post-game show while still "cryin' in my beer." Kerns was understandably disappointed, but he complimented the entire App State MBB family on a truly historic season (players; players' wives or significant others; players' parents; coaches and their families; player development staffers; non-coaching staffers (Strength/Conditioning staffers, trainers, managers); MBB Office staff; cheerleaders' pep band; students; radio broadcasting and engineering group; etc, etc (Trust me. he didn't leave anyone out.)

Kerns then signed off with his familiar "Go Mountaineers--Take the Stairs!"
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:01 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:19 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:24 am
Just imagine if shortly after the Wake loss, Kerns made a statement about the historic season, thanked the players and the fans. And said something about taking more stairs next year...
Go back and listen to the postgame show from our radio broadcast. He basically said all of this.
Spot on, JTApps1. I heard it that night on the post-game show while still "cryin' in my beer." Kerns was understandably disappointed, but he complimented the entire App State MBB family on a truly historic season (players; players' wives or significant others; players' parents; coaches and their families; player development staffers; non-coaching staffers (Strength/Conditioning staffers, trainers, managers); MBB Office staff; cheerleaders' pep band; students; radio broadcasting and engineering group; etc, etc (Trust me. he didn't leave anyone out.)

Kerns then signed off with his familiar "Go Mountaineers--Take the Stairs!"
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:28 pm

https://x.com/sunbeltreport/status/1775 ... 3hJ5cku44g

Portal season is kind of fun though. Recruit visiting. 6’3 Juco guard.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”