Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

ah59396
School: Appalachian State

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:07 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:51 am
Harcum going to Murray State? That makes absolutely zero sense unless he's simply getting a paycheck. If some of our players transferred to get 3 more minutes a game screw them.
Murray State is a way better program than ours.

They’ve made it to the second round of the tourney 4x since 2010.

We’ve been INVITED to the NCAA tournament 3x in our existence.
YNWA

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:43 pm

KentHogan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:49 am
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:06 am
appdaze wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:20 am
Some of yall are such dicks. Just let them go where they want. Stop being so butthurt ,and more, over it all. This stuff happens all over the job force in our economy. Just because it's now happening in the precious college sports is no reason to spew so much hate toward them. You get to change jobs. I've known plenty of people who made lateral moves just to work in a different place. I've known some that took paycuts just to move where they wanted. People make decisions for all kinds of reasons. They don't owe you an explanation and in turn, stop wasting so much mental space thinking about it. They have moved on. Its done. I dont care one bit where they are. I dont look it up on social media. I won't follow their careers because it just doesn't matter. I won't hold it against any of them either. I will cheer on whoever laces it up in the black and gold this coming year. If half the team leaves next year then so be it. We do it again.
I fully understand your adjusted position.

First, the change was fast... so congrats on the fast adjustment

Second, your points are true but there is a difference.

Third, companies and their employees don't ask for money to have them entertain you. Even Hollywood and Broadway don't.

Fourth, their has been atleast a hundred years of tradition of support for the schools and athletes that has been totally disrupted/changed.

BUT YOU ARE RIGHT.... WE AS FANS HAVE TO ADJUST
Sure, we need to adjust.

One adjustment might be to think twice about spending our hard earned money on season tickets, donations, etc, in order to support a semi pro team full of players who increasingly have no loyalty or emotional connection to whatever college they currently attend.

I feel in another couple seasons, it won’t even be accurate to call it college football any longer.

So yes, we all have to adjust. For some the adjustment will be to no longer support it.

I’m hoping for something to change, but it’s likely too far gone. So, sooner or later, I will have to decide how much longer I will support something I don’t like.

Okay, I’m done venting.

Go App!
So similar to being a Carolina Panther fan.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:10 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:07 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Harcum going to Murray State? That makes absolutely zero sense unless he's simply getting a paycheck. If some of our players transferred to get 3 more minutes a game screw them.

Historically, yes. Recently, no. They are 29-35 over the last two years, including a 10 point loss to us in 23-24. But, I suspect they do have more NIL money than we do.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:29 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:10 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:

Historically, yes. Recently, no. They are 29-35 over the last two years, including a 10 point loss to us in 23-24. But, I suspect they do have more NIL money than we do.
Cronin, McMahon and Gottfried all fielded winning teams there.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:52 pm

Murray State's coach must have liked what he saw of TH in Florida back in November when we beat his team down there.
I met his parents after a game in Boone and they are super nice people. Probably won't get to see him play in person as much.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:53 pm

He’s getting $75k.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:18 pm

Abson visiting Michigan and Xavier this weekend. Georgia thinks they have him. Miami got a visit too. Florida to Michigan is farrrrr from home.

Hope we get to play one of those and beat them.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:37 pm

311neers wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:18 pm
Abson visiting Michigan and Xavier this weekend. Georgia thinks they have him. Miami got a visit too. Florida to Michigan is farrrrr from home.

The Butler message board was not tracking Tate when he left to go to App or worried about where he went. They are gone and no longer Mountaineers. It just sounds like the jealous ex stalking. We got a group of young men who have recently committed to be in Boone such as the SG from Charlotte, VA recruit, and JUCO recruit. We should shift the attention to the Mountaineers. If Abson wants to come back I would welcome it but that is just not going to happen.

When a player us rumored or even saying they want to be closer to home that will go out the window if they get a big money offer elsewhere. Remember in football when it was said that Noel wanted to be closer to home for his kid? Money will override location almost every time and he did not get any closer to home by going to Missouri.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:50 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:37 pm
311neers wrote:

The Butler message board was not tracking Tate when he left to go to App or worried about where he went. They are gone and no longer Mountaineers. It just sounds like the jealous ex stalking. We got a group of young men who have recently committed to be in Boone such as the SG from Charlotte, VA recruit, and JUCO recruit. We should shift the attention to the Mountaineers. If Abson wants to come back I would welcome it but that is just not going to happen.

When a player us rumored or even saying they want to be closer to home that will go out the window if they get a big money offer elsewhere. Remember in football when it was said that Noel wanted to be closer to home for his kid? Money will override location almost every time and he did not get any closer to home by going to Missouri.
Butler probably didnt care because he barely played for them and was hurt. This is a message board, we share information about App players, ex app player...etc. If you don't like said information, you don't have to respond. We all know Abson is gone, and when he lands somewhere, I'll bet you someone posts where he lands.
Just because people post about Harcum/Abson/Burger/Google/ask for Prayers...etc does not mean we aren't focused on the Mountaineers.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:59 pm

TODAY I give my ALL --- these guys gave their ALL for an entire season - to heights I never thought we would see - They have moved on but left behind a very special basketball season. I wish them all well and you guys should as well -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:13 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:29 pm
hapapp wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:10 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:

Cronin, McMahon and Gottfried all fielded winning teams there.
They haven’t found the MVC to be as hospitable as the OVC.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:45 pm

311neers wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:50 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
311neers wrote:

Butler probably didnt care because he barely played for them and was hurt. This is a message board, we share information about App players, ex app player...etc. If you don't like said information, you don't have to respond. We all know Abson is gone, and when he lands somewhere, I'll bet you someone posts where he lands.
Just because people post about Harcum/Abson/Burger/Google/ask for Prayers...etc does not mean we aren't focused on the Mountaineers.
My point is I am seeing more information being talked about pertaining to players who left us than the players who are coming in. You were also wishing we play the team he plays and beat them. It comes off as jealousy and I feel like it is unhealthy to stalk where they go and have feelings of resentment against him. If he is a star or does not get on the court it does not effect us one bit. I wish we could have kept them together but they wanted out.

I thought since the portal activity of us losing players has stopped that this thread might die and the recruiting thread would be active. I think this SG from Charlotte could be a good one. Kerns is really active trying to fill the roster. I am interested to see if he signs multiple JUCO players or we hit the transfer portal for the rest of our open slots.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:46 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:59 pm
TODAY I give my ALL --- these guys gave their ALL for an entire season - to heights I never thought we would see - They have moved on but left behind a very special basketball season. I wish them all well and you guys should as well -
Exactly. I wish them good luck but they have moved on. I am thankful for the season we had but am now focused on supporting the 2024-25 team in hopefully having as good or better season. I am excited about the players that Kerns is adding.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:45 pm
311neers wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
311neers wrote:

My point is I am seeing more information being talked about pertaining to players who left us than the players who are coming in. You were also wishing we play the team he plays and beat them. It comes off as jealousy and I feel like it is unhealthy to stalk where they go and have feelings of resentment against him. If he is a star or does not get on the court it does not effect us one bit. I wish we could have kept them together but they wanted out.

I thought since the portal activity of us losing players has stopped that this thread might die and the recruiting thread would be active. I think this SG from Charlotte could be a good one. Kerns is really active trying to fill the roster. I am interested to see if he signs multiple JUCO players or we hit the transfer portal for the rest of our open slots.
It seems that the UNCC fans regarded him similarly to the way many of us did of Mantis with regards to being a streaky shooter. I personally believe he will be a better defender and hope he thrives in our system.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:59 pm

Too many moving parts with the portal and the NIL. We will just have to be happy with what coaches cobble together until some entity gets some control on this mess.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:39 pm

Yes. Some years you will hit , others you will strike out.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:12 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:59 pm
Too many moving parts with the portal and the NIL. We will just have to be happy with what coaches cobble together until some entity gets some control on this mess.
It’s so wild too, because it isn’t just smaller schools like App. Alabama just went to the Final Four, and their coach signed a new contract, and they have a slew of players in the portal including some starters. Just a whole new world in collegiate athletics.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:26 pm

app97 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
311neers wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
311neers wrote:

It seems that the UNCC fans regarded him similarly to the way many of us did of Mantis with regards to being a streaky shooter. I personally believe he will be a better defender and hope he thrives in our system.
I have not read their board but if he is like Mantis but a better defender I'll take it. If Mantis had been a good defender then I think he would have seen more minutes.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:56 pm

I think it is important for posts about where players go and how much so the App-Fan-Base gets an idea of what we are up against and what is needed to compete.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:17 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:26 pm
app97 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
311neers wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

I have not read their board but if he is like Mantis but a better defender I'll take it. If Mantis had been a good defender then I think he would have seen more minutes.
Looking at highlights... realize just a snap shot. This guy appears better off the dribble, provides a better shot fake if D is running at him to block, and on a the highlights...he does not have to be perfectly set when shooting the 3.
But these are typically the best of your game given they are highlights...time will tell.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”