Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:36 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 pm
I have this visual of several of you running thru the woods , naked, eyes bugging out, hair on fire, arms in the air screaming “ we’re fkd” over and over…..
Visuals of anyone on here naked is a frightening thought.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 pm

311neers wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 pm
Did anyone see Caleb Love’s comments about why he transferred out of Carolina. It’s an interesting read and something that some of our players, and their parents deal with from our fans. https://tarheeltribune.com/2024/03/27/l ... unc-tough/
I thought the real story was because he had relations with RJ’s girlfriend.
I had heard that as well. Whether it’s an excuse to avoid the truth, it’s still a relevant issue with these kids. I have heard directly from the parents of football players that this is a problem. I’m not saying that it’s indigenous to App. But it’s a problem that affects something that we all care about.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:26 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:59 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm
Back to the portal. I really hope Marsh isn't leaving for one of these teams.
We have a huge problem in college sports. There is an idea that the grass is always greener on the other side and it isn't. I think most of these guys either had money offers from power schools like Abson and Spillers and the rest pretty much thought they could get better offers. Some said Brown entered to get close to home but I never understand why he would have come to App in the first place. He knew the distance.

Marsh would be way better off staying in Boone unless there is something bad we don't know about. Before people assume we have issues there are a lot of players in the portal and the biggest problem is with this current system and not App.

There is portal regret going on in basketball as well and I am wondering if some of our guys are going to experience that over the next couple weeks.
Isn't it more likely that these guys played for Kerns, not App. If they know Kerns is out the door, there's no reason to stick around Boone. Our basketball program has basically been garbage. That's why I've been so concerned about keeping Kerns. Obviously I don't know that he is leaving, but to me that's the obvious explanation.
And it’s possible that Kerns firms up an extension and the players “re-sign” as well.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 pm

And not to trigger anyone, but this is the type of scenario that could have likely played out if some of ya’ll had gotten your wish mid season in football.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 pm

Some is a vague term, very few wanted Clark gone mid-season.

Many wanted to see 8 wins last season and revised that downward to 7 after the first seven games.

Please don’t paint with such a broad brush.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
We have a huge problem in college sports. There is an idea that the grass is always greener on the other side and it isn't. I think most of these guys either had money offers from power schools like Abson and Spillers and the rest pretty much thought they could get better offers. Some said Brown entered to get close to home but I never understand why he would have come to App in the first place. He knew the distance.

Marsh would be way better off staying in Boone unless there is something bad we don't know about. Before people assume we have issues there are a lot of players in the portal and the biggest problem is with this current system and not App.

There is portal regret going on in basketball as well and I am wondering if some of our guys are going to experience that over the next couple weeks.
Isn't it more likely that these guys played for Kerns, not App. If they know Kerns is out the door, there's no reason to stick around Boone. Our basketball program has basically been garbage. That's why I've been so concerned about keeping Kerns. Obviously I don't know that he is leaving, but to me that's the obvious explanation.
None of us know for sure but there has definitely a chance he would go. He has aspirations beyond a mid-major level. I am guessing he will stay unless something new comes up because jobs are filling up fast. My point is that a lot of players entered the portal from teams whose coach is not leaving but not to this level. JMU already filled their vacancy and the pressure is on Gillin now to get something done and announced ASAP. Signing day is coming up and while under contract I am curious if he is looking around or coming back? A lot of players have entered the portal for a team whose coach is returning.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 pm
311neers wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 pm
Did anyone see Caleb Love’s comments about why he transferred out of Carolina. It’s an interesting read and something that some of our players, and their parents deal with from our fans. https://tarheeltribune.com/2024/03/27/l ... unc-tough/
I thought the real story was because he had relations with RJ’s girlfriend.
I had heard that as well. Whether it’s an excuse to avoid the truth, it’s still a relevant issue with these kids. I have heard directly from the parents of football players that this is a problem. I’m not saying that it’s indigenous to App. But it’s a problem that affects something that we all care about.
What is crazy is that stuff like that happens all the time. I won't say who but there is a projected first round pick in the NFL Draft who made a sex tape with the mother of one of his teammates and the mother of that player is known to sleep around with coaches and players. I'm not saying it happens 1000 times a year but I think a player sleeping with a girlfriend, mother, wife, or sister of a teammate happens a little more than people might think.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:43 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:

None of us know for sure but there is definitely a chance he is leaving. My point is that a lot of players entered the portal from teams whose coach is not leaving. JMU already filled their vacancy and the pressure is on Gillin now to get something done and announced ASAP. Signing day is coming up and we need to know who our head coach will be ASAP.
Kerns is our Coach. He is under contract last I looked. Other than an extension, what is there that needs to be announced?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 pm

Many wanted to see 8 wins last season and revised that downward to 7 after the first seven games.

I didn’t realize that the use of “some” was considering all encompassing. SMH.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:43 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:

None of us know for sure but there is definitely a chance he is leaving. My point is that a lot of players entered the portal from teams whose coach is not leaving. JMU already filled their vacancy and the pressure is on Gillin now to get something done and announced ASAP. Signing day is coming up and we need to know who our head coach will be ASAP.
Kerns is our Coach. He is under contract last I looked. Other than an extension, what is there that needs to be announced?

You are correct. Kerns is our coach at this moment. However after an extraordinary week for APP basketball I would think someone would make some kind of statement. Losing a few players to the portal may be the way things are but to lose practically an entire team after a successful year and no coaching change might need someone to settle things down. Rumors are running wild and all kinds of speculation is flying around. We’ve already lost an entire team how long before the recruits start getting fidgety. Fans would feel better about the uncertainty and recruiting ( whoever the coach is) would be easier.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:30 pm

pop5app wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

You are correct. Kerns is our coach at this moment. However after an extraordinary week for APP basketball I would think someone would make some kind of statement. Losing a few players to the portal may be the way things are but to lose practically an entire team after a successful year and no coaching change might need someone to settle things down. Rumors are running wild and all kinds of speculation is flying around. We’ve already lost an entire team how long before the recruits start getting fidgety. Fans would feel better about the uncertainty and recruiting ( whoever the coach is) would be easier.
I certainly understand your point about wanting to hear something from the athletics office but that is purely from a fan standpoint. That’s not meant to be condescending but what exactly is Doug or Kerns supposed to say that can be truthful today, tomorrow or even next week? He could say that we are working on a contract extension that shows our commitment to basketball and our appreciation and the value we see in Kerns. Kerns could come out and say that he and his staff are diligently recruiting to build the program back up. But does that actually mean anything? Kerns could be gone tomorrow to COC, (I don’t see that happening) or he could fall to another job through the trickle down of filled positions. No one knows what’s going to happen. Doug doesn’t have the time to listen and engage in rumors and speculation. He and Kerns are dealing with the realities of the situations and with all due respect to fans, it isn’t something that they have to publicly address.

Kerns is here until he isn’t. If he were being fired, he would be gone by now. If he were gone, he wouldn’t be making offers to guys. These are the realities today and worrying about what might be tomorrow isn’t productive.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:34 pm

pop5app wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Why does an announcement need to be made? To make people on Yosefs Cabin feel better. The rumors running around are on this board. What are they going to say? Nothing of substance... especially if kerns is not gone yet whether he is interviewing for another job or if they are renegotiating his contract. People feel the need for instant gratification...when maybe patience is the better path. No PR is going to change anything. I would think that the athletic department is talking to recruits if not a dead period behind the scenes and telling them what they can that would be a truthful and accurate statement at the current time...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:34 pm
pop5app wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

Why does an announcement need to be made? To make people on Yosefs Cabin feel better. The rumors running around are on this board. What are they going to say? Nothing of substance... especially if kerns is not gone yet whether he is interviewing for another job or if they are renegotiating his contract. People feel the need for instant gratification...when maybe patience is the better path. No PR is going to change anything. I would think that the athletic department is talking to recruits if not a dead period behind the scenes and telling them what they can that would be a truthful and accurate statement at the current time...
We don’t deserve an announcement. But, it would be nice to know that 9 players left because the coach left and not the other way around. If coach didn’t leave, and 9 players left after our best season in program history, then we have serious problems. I feel for the few that are getting bad advice and think they can do better.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 pm

311neers wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
pop5app wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

We don’t deserve an announcement. But, it would be nice to know that 9 players left because the coach left and not the other way around. If coach didn’t leave, and 9 players left after our best season in program history, then we have serious problems. I feel for the few that are getting bad advice and think they can do better.
Well look at this way. If 9 guys left because of the coach then he likely isn’t the coach anymore. Given that he is still here tells me that he isn’t a concern. There are a lot of ways that this could go, let’s see what happens.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 pm

311neers wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
pop5app wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Eventually we will in some form or fashion...no need to announce anything unless you have the plan or solution. As stated, in this instance..instant gratification is not the play here if I am the athletics department as that could be the wrong play if something changes given these situations are typically fluid..just my opinion
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

Let me help you, few is the word you’re searching for.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:06 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

Let me help you, few is the word you’re searching for.
Agree to disagree.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:06 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:

None of us know for sure but there is definitely a chance he is leaving. My point is that a lot of players entered the portal from teams whose coach is not leaving but not to this level. JMU already filled their vacancy and the pressure is on Gillin now to get something done and announced ASAP. Signing day is coming up and while under contract I am curious if he is looking around or coming back? A lot of players have entered the portal for a team whose coach is returning.
A lot of players have entered the portal for there to be nothing wrong and Kerns 100% locked in to return. Do you not think there is something going on? I know players have different reasons for leaving but he just lost the entire team. I think an extension or new deal is happening for sure. I don't see any way Kerns comes back next season without a big raise.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 pm

I think some are gone: Abson, Spillers, Brown. I think we may see some of the others return. Think of it as entering your name into the draft to see how you’d do then withdrawing before deadline.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 pm
I think some are gone: Abson, Spillers, Brown. I think we may see some of the others return. Think of it as entering your name into the draft to see how you’d do then withdrawing before deadline.
If Kerns announces a new/updated deal then I am thinking the same thing. There has to be some type of announcement because Kerns is going to at least get a big raise for next year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”