The ASU coaching search and potential candidates to discuss

jayhawk42000
School: Kansas

The ASU coaching search and potential candidates to discuss

Unread post by jayhawk42000 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:05 am

Hi everyone. I've followed Appalachian State for a few years and try and watch them whenever possible. The last few years, it's been tough to watch under Capel and I'm glad to see them looking another direction.
I have a few names to throw out there for everyone to get your thoughts. I have no idea of the level of interest and whether their salary would be increased a lot, but here they go:

Pat Kelsey, Winthrop- He's a former Wake Forest assistant and has done a very good job of improving Winthrop since he took over. I was impressed with him when watching their Big South Championship game last weekend.

Tony Jasick- He's a Mars Hill graduate and spent time as an assistant at Middle Tennessee State before going to IPFW. He's done an excellent job there. His team plays extremely hard and very solid defense. They had a shot at the tourney this year losing by just three to a pretty decent North Dakota State team in the Summit League final.

LeVelle Moton- He's a North Carolina Central alum, so I have no idea if he would want to move, but he would definitely be taking a step up the coaching ladder and he's done an excellent job there. They have a shot at their first NCAA berth tonight.

Brad Underwood-He has Stephen F. Austin at 30-2 in his first season as head coach there. He's a former assistant under Frank Martin at both Kansas State and South Carolina and I believe he has quite a bit of JUCO head coaching experience in Florida.

And, now for a couple of former head coaches:

Eddie Biedenbach- The drawback is he's 69 years old, but his UNC-Asheville teams were pretty good over the last few years before he left. And, another drawback is I'm sure a lot of ASU fans would hate it that he was Buzz Peterson's assistant in 2013-14.

Sean Sutton- He's currently with his brother at Oral Roberts as an assistant. He did a pretty decent job in Stillwater, but the pressure got to him and he had an alcohol problem. He is now three years sober and could be ready for a head coaching gig again.

wncapp78
School: Appalachian State

Re: The ASU coaching search and potential candidates to disc

Unread post by wncapp78 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:58 am

I've become a big fan of Mike Young at Wofford. Starting with 3 trips in 5 years to NCAA---in our league where we're 0-14 since our last (and only 2nd in 42 years) trip. I've watched him and like his style rapport with players and his demeanor. I know and like Eddie B but I think he's not our best fit. His replacement at Unca did a great job this year and is a good recruiter, but I think he wants to be at UNCA. Would I like Bruce Pearl. Yes. Is he a plausible candidate for us--I don't think so. It will be interesting to follow.

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:49 am

Mike Young, Pat Kelsey, Matt McMahon or best D2 coach you can get. I'm excited about finding a new coach and moving to a different conference. We have a great university, a great football program and a great basketball facility. There's no reason we can't be competitive with the right hire.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:53 pm

AppAttack wrote:Mike Young, Pat Kelsey, Matt McMahon or best D2 coach you can get. I'm excited about finding a new coach and moving to a different conference. We have a great university, a great football program and a great basketball facility. There's no reason we can't be competitive with the right hire.
Whoever we eventually sign has his work cut out for him. With the impending NCAA APR "penalty" hanging over the team's head, the poor shooters we have, our lack of a take-charge point guard and the lack of any imposing big men, we're in for a rude awakening. We're moving from a guard-oriented league to more of an inside power league. That, in itself, spells trouble.

LA-Lafayette has a returning center, Shawn Long, who at 6-9, 245 is a man's man. No boy about him. Last night he got his 33rd double-double as a collegian...scoring 19 points and pulling down 17 boards. Throw in a half-dozen blocks and a few steals...and he's a load. One of the best players I've seen all season--anywhere. We have no answer for guys like that; and most (not all) Sunbelt teams have some bookends about like him. We're going to be playing catch-up ball for a few seasons.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:31 pm

Speaking of names, look for Monte Towe's name to get floated. He's spent a lot of time at NC State in two different stints as an assistant coach, but he's been at Middle Tennessee for a while now. His name has come up before. Wouldn't be my personal choice, but we could do a lot worse. We have done worse.

Eddie Biedenbach's name was dropped earlier. Eddie's not up for a long-term coaching marathon because of his age; and he's not one bit fond of ASU. He has been passed over for our head coaching job--twice. His sub-par performance in three years at Davidson did him in. Our folks were gun-shy about him.

wataugan03

Unread post by wataugan03 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:43 pm

jayhawk42000 wrote:Hi everyone. I've followed Appalachian State for a few years and try and watch them whenever possible. The last few years, it's been tough to watch under Capel and I'm glad to see them looking another direction.
I have a few names to throw out there for everyone to get your thoughts. I have no idea of the level of interest and whether their salary would be increased a lot, but here they go:

Pat Kelsey, Winthrop- He's a former Wake Forest assistant and has done a very good job of improving Winthrop since he took over. I was impressed with him when watching their Big South Championship game last weekend.

Tony Jasick- He's a Mars Hill graduate and spent time as an assistant at Middle Tennessee State before going to IPFW. He's done an excellent job there. His team plays extremely hard and very solid defense. They had a shot at the tourney this year losing by just three to a pretty decent North Dakota State team in the Summit League final.

LeVelle Moton- He's a North Carolina Central alum, so I have no idea if he would want to move, but he would definitely be taking a step up the coaching ladder and he's done an excellent job there. They have a shot at their first NCAA berth tonight.

Brad Underwood-He has Stephen F. Austin at 30-2 in his first season as head coach there. He's a former assistant under Frank Martin at both Kansas State and South Carolina and I believe he has quite a bit of JUCO head coaching experience in Florida.

Eddie Biedenbach- The drawback is he's 69 years old, but his UNC-Asheville teams were pretty good over the last few years before he left. And, another drawback is I'm sure a lot of ASU fans would hate it that he was Buzz Peterson's assistant in 2013-14.

Sean Sutton- He's currently with his brother at Oral Roberts as an assistant. He did a pretty decent job in Stillwater, but the pressure got to him and he had an alcohol problem. He is now three years sober and could be ready for a head coaching gig again.
I don't think we have a realistic shot at any of these guys. Why would anyone leave their good team to rebuild app in the sunbelt. I don't see why a coach who has a good thing going where he is would want to leave unless we're going to fund basketball like a Missouri Valley or AAC team (including a HC salary of $500,000+). I've seen no indication that we are able to do that. We're a low major; we have a lot more in common with schools like NCCU and Winthrop than we do with VCU, St. Louis, and Tulane.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:29 am

wataugan03 wrote:
jayhawk42000 wrote:Hi everyone. I've followed Appalachian State for a few years and try and watch them whenever possible. The last few years, it's been tough to watch under Capel and I'm glad to see them looking another direction.

I don't think we have a realistic shot at any of these guys. Why would anyone leave their good team to rebuild app in the sunbelt. I don't see why a coach who has a good thing going where he is would want to leave unless we're going to fund basketball like a Missouri Valley or AAC team (including a HC salary of $500,000+). I've seen no indication that we are able to do that. We're a low major; we have a lot more in common with schools like NCCU and Winthrop than we do with VCU, St. Louis, and Tulane.
I think you're too pessimistic. Think of this as an opportunity for someone to put this program on his back and carry it back to respectability. Think of it as a chance for a coach with North Carolina roots like Kelvin Sampson, for example, to repair his damaged reputation by whipping ASU's academics back into shape; recruiting some big bruisers to pound the ball to the hoop; win some big games and get fans back into the stands. I believe his show cause penalty with the NCAA has expired. To get back to the bigs, he's going to have to "earn" his way back in the trenches. Offer him a four-year, $1.2 million contract ($300,000 per year and a long list of incentives for extra pay) and the opportunity to hire his son Kellen as one of his assistants and see what he says. Kellen could help sell that to his Pop. Sampson's daughter, Lauren, could lobby for it, also. She's a pharmaceuticals sales rep in Charlotte. Just a thought. There are others out there that need a place to reinvent or rehabilitate themselves a bit. Pearl is one of them, but he's Auburn-bound.

We took a huge risk with a complete greenhorn and it bombed. Maybe the risk we needed to take was with a highly successful 59 year-old coach with a lot to prove about himself, his integrity and his legacy.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:39 pm

Are we a low major? The Belt isn't.

The SoCon, whose champion is being projected by some as a play-in game for the NCAA, is a low major.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Gonzo wrote:Are we a low major? The Belt isn't.

The SoCon, whose champion is being projected by some as a play-in game for the NCAA, is a low major.
I'm not sure what defines "low-major" but to me it is a conference which is a 1-bid conference - that clearly is the SoCon - don't know enough of the history of the SB to know if they have gotten multiple teams ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:37 pm

No doubt the Belt is a better bball conference than the SoCon but the Belt is the lowest rated of the G5 conferences.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:58 pm

Sun Belt is 18 in RPI, SoCon is 30th.

wataugan03

Unread post by wataugan03 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:05 pm

Its not exactly a two bid league and the best program (best by a mile) is leaving. Even if we call it mid-major we're still a true nobody. Five years ago we stretched our wallet as far as it could go to bring in a new coach. Our new coach was stolen less than a year later by Colonial team who could double his pay. The team that stole our coach was a real mid-major, in a real mid-major conference.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:31 pm

The mighty CAA is 15th in RPI, not much difference between them and Sun Belt this year.

The CAA used to be a mid-major conference then they lost VCU and Mason.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:05 pm

wataugan03 wrote:

Its not exactly a two bid league and the best program (best by a mile) is leaving. Even if we call it mid-major we're still a true nobody. Five years ago we stretched our wallet as far as it could go to bring in a new coach. Our new coach was stolen less than a year later by Colonial team who could double his pay. The team that stole our coach was a real mid-major, in a real mid-major conference.
That's a bunch of bull. WKU is not your Daddy's WKU by any stretch of the imagination. And good riddance to 'em. The CAA team that stole our coach had to borrow money to pay his salary. Now that they've fired him two years early after an awesome 9-23 season, they're also going to have to borrow money to pay his last two years of salary. They hired Biedenbach and Fancher and those guys sold homes and moved their families to Wilmington--only to be released. That's not mid-major; that's a bush league program living above its means. UNC-W basketball is below where we are. At least we can pay our bills when they come due.

To their credit, they are going to lean hard on their new head coach to retain Biedenbach. Fancher is on his own; hoping Buzz still has a coattail to ride. Fat chance.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:13 pm

I haven't seen Anyone mention Cliff Ellis. Took Coastal to the NCAA this year. Any thoughts? I have none but curious if he's on anyone's list?

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:27 pm

wncapp78 wrote:I haven't seen Anyone mention Cliff Ellis. Took Coastal to the NCAA this year. Any thoughts? I have none but curious if he's on anyone's list?

Hes old (68), hes already been in the big time with Auburn and Clemson and now he is at the beach where he can retire in a few years. I doubt hes going anywhere.

Mountainrunner1

Unread post by Mountainrunner1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:29 pm

The three names I am hearing are...

Ryan Odom- Charlotte Assistant Coach
http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArtic ... EASON=2013

Mike Rhoades-VCU Associate Head Men's Basketball Coach
http://vcuathletics.com/information/dir ... oades_Mike

Derrick Clark- Metro State Head Men's Basketball Coach
http://gometrostate.com/coaches.aspx?rc=345&path=mbball

Niner National
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Niner National » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:38 pm

Mountainrunner1 wrote:The three names I am hearing are...

I like Odom, but if you guys hire him away from us, PLEASE make him take Major with him. :D

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:45 pm

I really like Derrick Clark's resume and think he could be successful in Boone if we can get hime to come east. I posted his name a couple times already and am happy to hear it come up from someone other than me considering he is currently coaching in colorado. Tells me this is a true national search.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:51 pm

This is where I again put in my vote for Rhoades.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”