Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New Hoops Coach WILL NOT Be Bobby Lutz

wilsonappman
School: Appalachian State

New Hoops Coach WILL NOT Be Bobby Lutz

Unread post by wilsonappman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Per Coach Lutz's Twitter account:

Bobby Lutz ‏@bobby_lutz · 4m
W/drew name from App State.Charlie Cobb 1st class. All the best. So excited to be with Mark Gottfried and NC State. Future is bright. #wpn

Dmanuhone

Re: New Hoops Coach WILL NOT Be Bobby Lutz

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:49 pm

well that sucks.
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:51 pm

lets get the buzz back

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:53 pm

Not surprised! Must not have met his salary requirements OR the APR mess turned him off. Or both.

Initiate Plan B
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:53 pm

some of these guys are jockeying for pay raises at where they are currently. dont like this....recruits will get antsy. hope we have a plan b thru z....

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:58 pm

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:some of these guys are jockeying for pay raises at where they are currently. dont like this....recruits will get antsy. hope we have a plan b thru z....

Murray State University Athletics

McMahon, Matthew J Asst Mens Basketball Coach
Office Phone: 809-6768
Office Location: 217 SS
Email: mmcmahon@murraystate.edu

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:09 pm

I know I'm supposed to be disappointed about this, but I just can't convince myself to be.

However, this search is turning into a PR disaster for App.

Lutz can send all the nice words App's way he wants, but that tweet does us no favors at all and is a pretty big slap in the face to Cobb if you ask me.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:10 pm

asu66 wrote:
PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:some of these guys are jockeying for pay raises at where they are currently. dont like this....recruits will get antsy. hope we have a plan b thru z....

Yes another coach with 0 head coaching experience and within the same coaching tree we have been in for nearly 2 decades.

I would hire him but I do not like that he is from the same tree as the past 3 coaches (Buzz twice). I would like to get a fresh name and ideology.

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:13 pm

EastHallApp wrote:I know I'm supposed to be disappointed about this, but I just can't convince myself to be.

Lutz can send all the nice words App's way he wants, but that tweet does us no favors at all and is a pretty big slap in the face to Cobb if you ask me.
Big PR disaster....the next guy offered the job will know that everyone knows he was the "left over" choice. Not that we can't get someone good, but I never like someone to know they were my "second choice".

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Maddog1956 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:I know I'm supposed to be disappointed about this, but I just can't convince myself to be.

Big PR disaster....the next guy offered the job will know that everyone knows he was the "left over" choice. Not that we can't get someone good, but I never like someone to know they were my "second choice".
If that is the biggest problem we have, that it is a "left over" choice then we will be lucky.

Tennessee football did the same before hiring Butch Jones, and he made light of it. He was the 4th or 5th choice there.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
asu66 wrote:

Yes another coach with 0 head coaching experience and within the same coaching tree we have been in for nearly 2 decades.

I would hire him but I do not like that he is from the same tree as the past 3 coaches (Buzz twice). I would like to get a fresh name and ideology.
He has been an assistant coach for over a decade now. You can't even begin to compare that to Capel.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Maddog1956 wrote:

On a positive note it could put a chip on said coaches shoulder to prove he is better than the first choice.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:18 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
asu66 wrote:

He has been an assistant coach for over a decade now. You can't even begin to compare that to Capel.
I never compared him with Capel, except for the fact he has not been a head coach. McMahon should have been the hire last time but I am not sure he is the right hire now.

I like him a lot but I would much rather us hire a guy who is a head coach at the D2 level first.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:21 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Maddog1956 wrote:

If that is the biggest problem we have, that it is a "left over" choice then we will be lucky.

Tennessee football did the same before hiring Butch Jones, and he made light of it. He was the 4th or 5th choice there.
It's not the biggest problem we have. It's just one more added to the list. But it does not speak well for the person(s) running this search.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:23 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
asu66 wrote:

If he can get Buzz's results minus Buzz's... everything else, then sign me up yesterday.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:25 pm

There are TWO reasons that candidates remove their names from consideration for a very visible position.

One is that they become uncomfortable with contract terms [salary, benefits, perks, tough challenges] being offered by the proposed new employer/or/that their current employer has sweetened the pot to convince them to stay put]. [Some are assuming this to be the case.]

The other is that the person [in this case Lutz] wishes to save face because he's learned that the job is really being offered to another candidate who is likely to accept.

We can hope it's #2. If it is, we will begin to hear the name in speculation very, very soon.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:28 pm

asu66 wrote:

THIS x 1000!

Let's get someone who truly wants to be here, and will put everything into rebuilding this mess.

Come on Charlie... DO THE RIGHT THING!
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:33 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
asu66 wrote:

THIS x 1000!

Let's get someone who truly wants to be here, and will put everything into rebuilding this mess.

Come on Charlie... DO THE RIGHT THING!
I would send him an email. I did and to my surprise he responded.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:37 pm

asu66 wrote:

There are TWO reasons that candidates remove their names from consideration for a very visible position.

One is that they become uncomfortable with contract terms [salary, benefits, perks, tough challenges] being offered by the proposed new employer/or/that their current employer has sweetened the pot to convince them to stay put]. [Some are assuming this to be the case.]

The other is that the person [in this case Lutz] wishes to save face because he's learned that the job is really being offered to another candidate who is likely to accept.

We can hope it's #2. If it is, we will begin to hear the name in speculation very, very soon.
This is true, however, with both Lutz and Rhoades having been identified as the primary candidates in mainstream media reports (as opposed to just message board speculation), it guarantees that Cobb will have to answer questions at the new coach's introductory press conference about having missed on at least his first couple of targets.

If it were just Lutz, I'd say there was a decent chance that Lutz himself (or someone from his camp) was the one leaking his name to the press. But with two guys (unless they share an agent or something), it leads me to think the info may have come from App's side. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:43 pm

No one's with any repute wants their name on Capel's wasteland. It's understandable.

Would the Belt kick us out if we dropped basketball?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”