Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New Assistant Coach Bryan Lentz

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

New Assistant Coach Bryan Lentz

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:20 am

Looks like Bryan Lentz, Special Assistant Coach at the University of Texas and son of Lenoir-Rhyne head coach John Lentz, where he both played and coached, is one of our new Assistant Coaches. More details to follow but his twitter account is showing App State Men's Basketball in the bio section. I'm sure T-Dog, AppHoops, and '66, among others, are all over it and will add to this soon. Just getting the ball rolling, so to speak.

appdaze

Re: New Assistant Coach Bryan Lentz

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:46 am

Excellent choice. I've watched Lenoir Rhyne over the Lentz years and that is going to be a great recruiting connection for Fox. Bryan's dad has had a good career at LR. I mentioned his name in the other coaching threads about Head coach but I'm glad to see he is getting his shot as an assistant. Any word yet on which role he is going to have?

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:42 am

His twitter account sure is Appy. He has the obsolete, Davey Jones logo, though.

https://twitter.com/CoachBLentz

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:56 am

Gonzo wrote:His twitter account sure is Appy. He has the obsolete, Davey Jones logo, though.

https://twitter.com/CoachBLentz
Just emailed a "friend" to get his logo updated.....same hAPPened to Fox last week!
Go APPS!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:43 am

firemoose wrote:Looks like Bryan Lentz, Special Assistant Coach at the University of Texas and son of Lenoir-Rhyne head coach John Lentz, where he both played and coached, is one of our new Assistant Coaches. More details to follow but his twitter account is showing App State Men's Basketball in the bio section. I'm sure T-Dog, AppHoops, and '66, among others, are all over it and will add to this soon. Just getting the ball rolling, so to speak.
Still two assistants and one DBO to go; plus the dispensation of strength and conditioning duties. These things take a lot of HR time behind the scenes before they "surface." Everybody be patient. The wheels are turning, but slowly. University HR has yet to pull down the announcement for the head basketball position, which was announced a week ago today.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:06 am

asu66 wrote:
firemoose wrote:Looks like Bryan Lentz, Special Assistant Coach at the University of Texas and son of Lenoir-Rhyne head coach John Lentz, where he both played and coached, is one of our new Assistant Coaches. More details to follow but his twitter account is showing App State Men's Basketball in the bio section. I'm sure T-Dog, AppHoops, and '66, among others, are all over it and will add to this soon. Just getting the ball rolling, so to speak.
Still two assistants and one DBO to go; plus the dispensation of strength and conditioning duties. These things take a lot of HR time behind the scenes before they "surface." Everybody be patient. The wheels are turning, but slowly. University HR has yet to pull down the announcement for the head basketball position, which was announced a week ago today.
Yep. As I said I was just getting the ball rolling on Lentz. If you note the post time it's really 3:30 this morning. I was working on getting some info on the new pages and was a bit tired when I posted. I saw the outdated pic and logo but figured someone would let him know, just like they did with Coach Fox. Too tired to go into it then. :D

We'll know the full staff soon enough.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:19 am

Nate Healy was reportedly approached about the DBO role, but has elected to continue to play professionally overseas. Looks like Fox wanting a former App player on the staff has merit.

Blackandgold

Unread post by Blackandgold » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:38 am

asu66 wrote:
Smart thing to do would be use a athletics dept strength coach, and save that extra money for the budget.

wataugan03

Unread post by wataugan03 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Blackandgold wrote:
asu66 wrote:
Smart thing to do would be use a athletics dept strength coach, and save that extra money for the budget.
I expect the DBO to do a combination of administrative duties/office manager type duties and actual basketball work - particularly scouting other teams. In an ideal world the DBO would also have connections to some area HS and AAU coaches to help with recruiting. You can't just plop a strength coach into that role. Even if you could, you'd end up needing another strength coach.

StumpyCulbreath

Unread post by StumpyCulbreath » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:32 pm

This is a really good pick up. Bryan is an excellent coach. I would have thought he would be an HC by now.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:55 pm

StumpyCulbreath wrote:This is a really good pick up. Bryan is an excellent coach. I would have thought he would be an HC by now.

Nope, he was the sixth man down the list at TX. Not exactly an assistant coach.

http://www.texassports.com/coaches.aspx ... ath=mbball

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:58 pm

We have another in the works that I was told was higher on the list as far as assistants go.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:03 pm

bigCasu wrote:We have another in the works that I was told was higher on the list as far as assistants go.

I'm hearing the same thing. A fellow with a lot of experience from north to south.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:07 pm

asu66 wrote:
bigCasu wrote:We have another in the works that I was told was higher on the list as far as assistants go.

I'm hearing the same thing. A fellow with a lot of experience from north to south.
^^^^^Yep

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Would you guys spill it already.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

Blackandgold

Unread post by Blackandgold » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:34 pm

wataugan03 wrote:
Blackandgold wrote:
asu66 wrote:
I expect the DBO to do a combination of administrative duties/office manager type duties and actual basketball work - particularly scouting other teams. In an ideal world the DBO would also have connections to some area HS and AAU coaches to help with recruiting. You can't just plop a strength coach into that role. Even if you could, you'd end up needing another strength coach.
I wasn't talk about using a strength coach as director of operations. I was talking about using a university strength coach, who gets paid out of athletics dept budget.

Capel hired an independent strength coach, and had to pay him out of basketballs individual budget, as he was not affiliated with university.

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:19 pm

I love some good ole fanboy scoop.

#fanboyscoop

spong

Unread post by spong » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:36 pm

asu66 wrote:
StumpyCulbreath wrote:This is a really good pick up. Bryan is an excellent coach. I would have thought he would be an HC by now.

Nope, he was the sixth man down the list at TX. Not exactly an assistant coach.

http://www.texassports.com/coaches.aspx ... ath=mbball
He was the associate head coach at a successful D2 school (Lenoir Rhyne where he coached with his dad). That is the kind of pedigree that tends to get you looks for D2 or D3 college basketball jobs. If I was Catawba College right now I would have given him a interview.

Bryan Lentz has the resume to be a steal for a coaching staff. He's been a part of the top of the staff at a small program, getting involved in every aspect of operations (recruiting, scheduling, leading practice, est), and he has been a part of the bottom of a big program(seeing how a high profile program works). He knows the area. He has a good family tree (which we all know doesn't always translate into success but is still nice). One would think he is dreaming of being a head coach one day. If he is willing to do the hard traveling necessary for recruiting then the guy sounds like a great hire.

Also maybe this means we will be playing LR for an exhibition game instead of Lees Mcrae. I can't get upset about that!

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:45 pm

IGgreer wrote:I love some good ole fanboy scoop.

#fanboyscoop
#butthurt

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”