Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New Assistant Coach Bryan Lentz

StumpyCulbreath
School: Appalachian State

Re: New Assistant Coach Bryan Lentz

Unread post by StumpyCulbreath » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:27 am

"Nope, he was the sixth man down the list at TX. Not exactly an assistant coach."

Lentz made the mistake of staying with his dad too long at L-R. I feel sure he would be farther up the ladder somewhere otherwise. Of course, I'd take the number six guy at TX over anything we've had on our bench the last fifteen years. Maybe we'll actually have an in-bounds play.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:38 am

IGgreer wrote:I love some good ole fanboy scoop.

#fanboyscoop
Not as much as I love one-trick ponies.

#onetrickpony
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:03 am

StumpyCulbreath wrote:"Nope, he was the sixth man down the list at TX. Not exactly an assistant coach."

Lentz made the mistake of staying with his dad too long at L-R. I feel sure he would be farther up the ladder somewhere otherwise. Of course, I'd take the number six guy at TX over anything we've had on our bench the last fifteen years. Maybe we'll actually have an in-bounds play.
I don't mean this as a knock on Lentz, since he obviously wasn't responsible for coaching the team. But Texas hasn't exactly been known for being exceptionally well coached in recent years.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:38 am

asu66 wrote:
StumpyCulbreath wrote:This is a really good pick up. Bryan is an excellent coach. I would have thought he would be an HC by now.

Nope, he was the sixth man down the list at TX. Not exactly an assistant coach.

http://www.texassports.com/coaches.aspx ... ath=mbball
He still has 10x the experience of our former head coach...
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:30 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
StumpyCulbreath wrote: But Texas hasn't exactly been known for being exceptionally well coached in recent years.
Rick Barnes won Big XII coach of the year this past season.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:14 pm

T-Dog wrote:
EastHallApp wrote: But Texas hasn't exactly been known for being exceptionally well coached in recent years.
Rick Barnes won Big XII coach of the year this past season.
AP National Coach of the Year winners in the past 20 years or so include Clem Haskins, Cliff Ellis, Matt Doherty, Tubby Smith (twice), Keno Davis, Mike Brey and Frank Haith.

Coach of the Year awards don't really mean anything, other than recognizing which team did better than expected. Texas' expectations were way down because they had slipped badly prior to this year.

I'm not saying Barnes isn't a good program builder or recruiter. But his X's and O's are pretty widely panned due to repeated underachievement in March (and, in recent years, the regular season as well).

None of which is to say Lentz isn't a good hire for App, of course.

StumpyCulbreath

Unread post by StumpyCulbreath » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:00 pm

Just for clarity--t-dog--I didn't say what you had in quotes about TX basketball of Barnes. He's had a top twenty program consistently at TX till the last few years. I don't think he's adjusted well to not having upper class leadership in years after being depleted by the NBA draft. If you actually watch his teams play, he has been willing to change both offensive and defensive schemes depending on the talent on a given team. The x's and o's argument is pretty weak at that level; it's more about executing or not executing and being able to motivate and make your players believe that they can do what you're asking them to do. If Rick has failed at something, it's that last area in late February and March.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”