Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

6' PG Armel Potter taking "unofficial" visit to App

asu66
School: Appalachian State

6' PG Armel Potter taking "unofficial" visit to App

Unread post by asu66 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:19 am

6' PG Armel Potter was scheduled to take an "unofficial" visit to App today as he nears a decision on whose letter of intent he will sign. Originally committed to FAU (until a coaching change altered his thinking), Potter had apparently narrowed his choices to App State and Winthrop. He's scheduled to take an unofficial visit to Winthrop over the weekend.

Well, it seems that others have discovered that Potter's unsigned--and are trying to get their foot in the door with him. Those schools include S.Alabama and Niagara. Potter has a week to toy with his pursuers-then he has to make a decision.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

EastHallApp

Re: 6' PG Armel Potter taking "unofficial" visit to App

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu May 15, 2014 9:20 am

Why does he need to decide within a week? He's not obligated to sign an LOI at all. Though I imagine he probably will, since the chance of coaching turnover is pretty much zero at this point.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:48 am

EastHallApp wrote:Why does he need to decide within a week? He's not obligated to sign an LOI at all. Though I imagine he probably will, since the chance of coaching turnover is pretty much zero at this point.
The early singing period ends at midnight on May 21. Coaches want kids locked-in with the LOI so they'll know who to expect to work with for the new season; and so players can be measured for uniforms and shoes, etc. Coaches also want to know who's coming so they can organize campus orientation for their new players and get them registered for "head start classes" to reduce the number of semester hours players have to carry during the playing season. Get them photographed and "bio-ed" for the media guide. Get them physical exams, get them drug-tested, and all the required things that are time-sensitive.

Players can wait until after May 21 to sign, but then their LOI's are non-binding. Some ethics-impaired players will actually sign with more than one school--and leave someone in a lurch in August. Coaches very rightly hate that situation. A few years back when Houston was coaching at App, he took a chance on a kid who was a late qualifier coming out of a JuCo. Little did he know that the kid signed four LOI's. On the day set aside for players to report--the kid was a no-show. He was contacted by the staff and said he had a family situation that would take him a couple of days to work it out--then he be there. Two days pass--still a no show. Two more days pass--still a no-show. Then, suddenly, a report appears in THE STATE (Columbia) and in THE CHARLOTTE OBSERVER that the kid will play his final two years at USC. He was enrolled and attending classes. He ended up being a starter both seasons for the Lamecocks.

He played us; but violated no NCAA rules. Just violated basic ethics and let the world know that his character and his word as a gentlemen were completely worthless.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu May 15, 2014 10:04 am

Wow, had not heard that story! I thought LOIs actually were binding per the NCAA? I remember hearing about a football player who signed two this past year, and one of the schools had to release him so that he could attend the other one.

I'm sure Potter probably will sign an LOI somewhere. I think it's usually only the most elite prospects who even consider not signing one - because they don't have to worry about whether coaches will hold a spot for them.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Thu May 15, 2014 10:29 am

Should be interesting to see who Armel goes with. If it's indeed between Winthrop and App then that should be an interesting decision. Winthrop's basketball tradition is certainly stronger than App's is (post season ban won't help), but I'd say App's location and conference prestige (Sun Belt vs Big South) is greater. App also literally has no PG depth. Burgess is it. With Flomo and Teven Jones no longer coming to App there is really no competition for Potter coming in. Yes, Logan Jackson is transferring in (as a walk on I believe) and he's got decent skills, but he's not as talented as Potter. Winthrop on the other hand is pretty stacked at PG depth. I'm excited to see what he does. Hope he comes to Boone!

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Thu May 15, 2014 12:34 pm

AppHoops wrote:Should be interesting to see who Armel goes with. If it's indeed between Winthrop and App then that should be an interesting decision. Winthrop's basketball tradition is certainly stronger than App's is (post season ban won't help), but I'd say App's location and conference prestige (Sun Belt vs Big South) is greater. App also literally has no PG depth. Burgess is it. With Flomo and Teven Jones no longer coming to App there is really no competition for Potter coming in. Yes, Logan Jackson is transferring in (as a walk on I believe) and he's got decent skills, but he's not as talented as Potter. Winthrop on the other hand is pretty stacked at PG depth. I'm excited to see what he does. Hope he comes to Boone!

I somewhat stand corrected. Jake Babic coming in can play point too. So there's some extra comp.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu May 15, 2014 1:03 pm

While I get your point about Winthrop's tradition, they've had losing records 4 of the last 6 seasons. A high school senior today probably doesn't even remember the Gregg Marshall years. Hopefully the superior conference and facilities will carry more weight.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu May 15, 2014 1:51 pm

AppHoops wrote:
AppHoops wrote:Should be interesting to see who Armel goes with. If it's indeed between Winthrop and App then that should be an interesting decision. Winthrop's basketball tradition is certainly stronger than App's is (post season ban won't help), but I'd say App's location and conference prestige (Sun Belt vs Big South) is greater. App also literally has no PG depth. Burgess is it. With Flomo and Teven Jones no longer coming to App there is really no competition for Potter coming in. Yes, Logan Jackson is transferring in (as a walk on I believe) and he's got decent skills, but he's not as talented as Potter. Winthrop on the other hand is pretty stacked at PG depth. I'm excited to see what he does. Hope he comes to Boone!

I somewhat stand corrected. Jake Babic coming in can play point too. So there's some extra comp.

Babic seems like a more natural two with his skill set. Outside shot and good distributer but less explosive than Logan or Armel going towards the hoop. Not as much a dribble penetration guy as the others.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:30 pm

asu66 wrote:6' PG Armel Potter was scheduled to take an "unofficial" visit to App today as he nears a decision on whose letter of intent he will sign. Originally committed to FAU (until a coaching change altered his thinking), Potter had apparently narrowed his choices to App State and Winthrop. He's scheduled to take an unofficial visit to Winthrop over the weekend.

Well, it seems that others have discovered that Potter's unsigned--and are trying to get their foot in the door with him. Those schools include S.Alabama and Niagara. Potter has a week to toy with his pursuers-then he has to make a decision.
Well, the signing deadline has passed and although Armel Potter received five...yeah 5 more offers after his visit to ASU, he didn't sign anywhere. I think that tells us he didn't have the academic credentials for admission to any D-I program. Think JuCo, Armel!

On a bizarre note, yesterday, when close to a dozen institutions were waiting for Armel to say "yes," he was tagging along on his older brother's (Amonte "Mo" Potter) visit to Ga South. Seems our friends to the south want the elder Potter kid to play Sunbelt ball for them.

Verbal Commits ‏@VerbalCommits 17h
2015 Chattahoochee Tech (GA) G Amonte' Potter has received an offer from Georgia Southern (HT @Throck37) @Mo_potter15 http://verbalcommits.com/players/amonte-potter

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri May 30, 2014 10:33 pm

Potter retweeted reports that he is now receiving interest from Providence, This is why I'm not surprised he didn't sign an LOI - seems like he's still got new suitors emerging, so it makes sense to see what all his options are before committing somewhere.

Would that all PG recruits took that approach. Could have saved a lot of headaches...

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat May 31, 2014 11:27 am

EastHallApp wrote:Potter retweeted reports that he is now receiving interest from Providence, This is why I'm not surprised he didn't sign an LOI - seems like he's still got new suitors emerging, so it makes sense to see what all his options are before committing somewhere.

Would that all PG recruits took that approach. Could have saved a lot of headaches...
Armel is beginning to have more options than Lays has potato chips. He's in no hurry to sign. As long as he's admitted and registered to an institution by the last day to add/drop classes, he's eligible to play in 2014-15. His handlers are doing it the classy way; as opposed to the *infamous" antics of dat_kid_dtae. My hat's off to him even if/when he eventually says "no" to ASU.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”